CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain question - kinda urgent

Grey_XX

Hi Guys,

I was taking a look at the chain this morning and noticed that one chain link did not have the regular pits on the sides, is that the master link or did I loose something? Other than that the chain looks fine, I rode the bike to work.

Thanks in advance.

Hugo

Yep its the masterlink most likely. There pressed on but should have some kind of indention to keep the link on.

I am going to check it out.

Thanks Randy.

Hugo

Only if you plan on riding it..............

Well, time to be anal-retentive: the chain is a DID 530 ZVM, do you know if it's a clip for that one? Not really willing to take chances on this one.

Thanks

Hugo

You can use either style with the ZVM.  If it's the original, it's riveted.  

If it were a clip, and it came off, you should see a relatively clean area.  Not all pins show a dimple in the middle....as long as the pin is staked out so that it can't work out of the link, it's fine.

Looks like it's riveted, although it is not the original.

Hugo

The factory chain is endless, no masterlink, installed over swingarm at factory. If it is an aftermarket DID 530 ZVM it came with a rivet type masterlink. Unless someone substituted a clip type for installation. If you lost your clip, the only thing holding on the side plate is friction. :shock:

dude you could like save like 2 lbs by going to a 520, and it will like last totally not as long and like it would be soo cool to say I have a 520 on my bike like ya know? :poke: I do like the idea of a triple 850 though that would sound sweet!

dude you could like save like 2 lbs by going to a 520, and it will like last totally not as long and like it would be soo cool to say I have a 520 on my bike like ya know? :poke: I do like the idea of a triple 850 though that would sound sweet!

I dont think it would be a problem at all--I have a 520 DIDERV2 set up on the 929--its seen over 30 trackdays on this chain and hasnt stretched one iota. The 520ERV2 is hella strong chain--I think its more for poser rights though than performance, yea its lighter by two pounds, but a good dump evens things out-- also all the rear 520 sprockets will be Al. If its time to change the chain anyway why not

on the 929

...which is 20% lighter...

I gotta ask: Why would anybody do this on the XX? What would you hope to gain? Do you understand what you'd lose? Do you ride so few miles you don't care?

Going to the 520 is a GREAT idea. I mean damn...if I could save two whole pounds I think that would make all the difference in the world. I've been having trouble carrying enough speed thru the twisties to drag my fairing and I think the 520 would help me there. Also it would help me spin up the somewhat anemic motor a little faster. Granted I could take a shit before riding...or leave my tankbag full of tire kit, phone, "special hardware", mp3 player etc at home and save more than two pounds...but thats different...I think the chain is the answer.

on the 929

...which is 20% lighter...

I gotta ask: Why would anybody do this on the XX? What would you hope to gain? Do you understand what you'd lose? Do you ride so few miles you don't care?

Actually I will guarentee that the 520ERV2 chain will outwear the stock 530 chain as it did on my 929--torque to the ground is torque to the ground--typically limited by tire traction---I would be willing to wager that 200mi on a racetrack is pretty close to 5X that of street cruising--

What you gain is a blingy gold chain--lots of bragging right about less reciprocating mass, and lots of AL rearsprockets---everyone on the track has a 520 conversion---

Bottom Line is the XX aint a trackbike--no matter how hard you try

Don, as has been stated, you would not gain much. I spent a lot of time getting up to speed on chains as I put an ERV on my Tuono. You may already know this, but each chain size is set up for a particular CC displacement. The bigger the displacement, the bigger the recommended chain. I do not know where the break points are exactly, but most 600 class bikes run 520's, my Aprlia's both run 525 (a compromise between strength and longevity with weight as the Aprilia's a very racing focused) and the + 750 or 1,000 bikes run the 530's. The 525 ERV is the weight of a 520 but actually exceeds the strength of many 530's. A lot of Super Twin and 750 + racers use this chain, as well as the lighter 520 kits but then you loose some reliability and longevity. The thing about chains is they are always trying to straighten out, just like a snowmobile track. The more weight, the more they try to go straight and not oblong (cetrifical force/reciprocating mass), thus the more power to turn them. The benefit in a lighter chain is then both the reduced weight in itself, and the reduced power it takes to turn that chain in a relative circle.

On the XX, the gains would be minimal as a 600 lbs bike that is not in race trim isn't going to notice a slightly lighter chain (IMO).

MaXX

On the XX, the gains would be minimal as a 600 lbs bike that is not in race trim isn't going to notice a slightly lighter chain (IMO).

MaXX

Damn those MIGs must weigh alot everyone elses bike only weighs 500Lbs--460lbs for the smart guys that got Akras :lol: