CBR1100XX.org Forum

Who has what for music inside their helmets...

Hurricane

Been wondering what kind of setup people have for tunes while riding. What kind of speakers you have and how you've installed them in your helmets. I see some people use satellite radio and others use a mp3 or Ipaq. I'm interested to know how you rigged your system up. Especially the speakers in the helmets and... Where’d ya buy 'em? I'm looking for suggestions. ThanX

Creative Labs JukeboxIII (20G MP3), Etymotic ER-6 earbuds with custom molds. Cost around $450 to set up.

If you want sound quality, you have to go with some sort of earbud, IMO.

If you want/need a communication system, you're probably stuck with a helmet speaker setup, but if it's just about piping in some tunes, look for a good set of isolation earphones.

use an RCA Lyra mp3 player(about 40 songs depending on size)

as for the helmet i use an HJC-50 chatterbox communicator. it works for me and my girlfriend but there are better out there. i was just trying to get started cheap. the better ones are not cheap. i think all together i spent like $200. once i hit it big on the craps table i plan to upgrade. :???: :grin:

I have 10GB Creative Labs MP3 (thanks Jerry ! :cool: ) - older model than Tim's.....It's plugged in to the Autocom (together with the cell phone and FRS/CB for bike to bike...)

Beside eatting the batteries to fast and being on the quiet side (even on the headphones - off the bike !) I like this MP3 player. And the Autocom rocks !

Cheers,

I have a IAudio M3L (20Gb with 34 hours battery) with a FM remote with (smaller that IPOD) Challenger custom plugs. Great setup with more music that I ever will use, mostly used on long hauls to break up the boredom.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/iaudio/m3/index.html

http://www.earplugco.com/prod01.htm

I use to use a Sony Mini Disc Player, they work well but can't compare to the hard drive MP3 players IMHO

http://www.minidisco.com/

I have a 15gb Ipod w/ Apple In Ear Phones.

The Apple earbuds that come with the Ipod weren't really cutting it I would get to much wind noise at 50-60mph.

I would like to upgrade soon to the ER-6's, right now I get very good sound up to about 85-90mph. Then I start to get some noise from the airflow in the helmet. :grin:

I think if you are looking for the best sound quality you have to have canal phones, There are alot of options for the sound source try to look at as many as you can, The Ipod has been great for me so far. :wink:

I have an autocom system with an RF1000 helmet and earplugs. I use a cheap ass walkman/cd with radio...cd skips but the radio works fine.

BTW LOVE Will's sig pic.

I bought a set of sony head phones, the type that clip on to the back of your ear. Clipped them onto the foam in the helmet, it's cheep and it seems to work well. Got about 14,000Km on them so far and they are still working great. Some songs are a little low on volume though, will have to get a booster.

Player is a CDMP3VCD player.

It's all pretty cool to see what people use for entertainment during their rides and to bump it against what's practical for our own uses. For me, I really like Steve's set up. Not too complex and doesn't have to be that expensive. Looked at some reviews on the iRiver. http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=iriverifp190tc1

They had some pretty good things to say about them and pointed out allot of nice features that'd come in handy on a ride. However, I usually ride with earplugs in to keep the wind noise out at speed. So maybe, eventually ($), those earplugs that Kbird pointed out http://www.earplugco.com/prod01.htm would be the way to go.

ThanX for all your inputs!

:smokin:

Close but I opted for the iP-395 (the newer version of the 190). I didn't want the iPod as the battery life sucks and needs to be recharged too often. I get 15 hours on one AA battery and carry a spare in case. It was between the I-River and the new MPIO but the joystick on the I-River makes it really easy to work with gloves on.

I usually ride with earplugs in as well however on some lonely strips of highway heading across the desert or slow puts around town the music is pretty awesome! I have teh stock windshield and am 6'3" so my head is in "celan wind" with little to no buffeting.

I also opted to get some software from BestBuy so I could download my CD's onto my desktop to load into my MP 3 player... it also allows me to condense the music so each song usually takes up only about 3-5 Mb's allowing a 150+ songs.

This thing also rocks at the gym too with their armband...

Steve

I am looking at the er-6 formed ear plugs and maybe xm like Rich, but I also want to have intercom piped in to the er-6's so I can talk with my girl on the back. I tried a chatterbox with speakers in the helmet but found it totally inadequate above 30 mph. Is my hoped for set up possible? Steve