CBR1100XX.org Forum

Polishing compounds

The Krypt Keeper

I got Mothers, some stuff called Purple, tried the little cans of cotton wading.

I need to polish up my exhaust and wanting to try something else.

Also would would be good to get the burnt rubber off my mid pipes from my riding boots :roll: That is baked on good :mad:

I use the sandpaper method. Depending on the surface finish, I usually start off with 1000 grit, go to 1500 grit and finish things off with 2000 grit. After sanding is when I'll get out the mothers and buff it out.

polishing all depends on what you want to polish out (i.e. light scratches, deep scratches, etc).

mothers is good only if you already have a pretty smooth surface. it gives that really good shine. it is more of a finishing product.

for the heavy stuff you will have to move up to either white, brown or black rouge sticks. use this with a buffing wheel.

for even more heavy stuff you will have to move up to steel wool or wet sandpaper. start with a coarse grit and work your way down to a real fine. then you will have to go to the rouges then finish with mothers or similar.

since you are talking about your exhaust pipe. i assume its not too bad a condition. you may just need to get a buff for your drill (lowes) and some rouge sticks (lowes). take it easy then finish with mothers to get the fine scratches out and make it shine.

I've used oven cleaner to get rubber and other burnt items off my pipes. Make sure you just spray the affected area and cover the plastics with old towels or something, leave it on for a hour or so and it comes off fairly easily. I heard the CHP in So Cal use this.

to just keep the shine i use mothers and an old over the calf tube sock.

rub some on and use the sock to buff. the sock makes it easy to really get some back and forth motion going. works good to get around the pipe.

to just keep the shine i use mothers and an old over the calf tube sock.

rub some on and use the sock to buff. the sock makes it easy to really get some back and forth motion going. works good to get around the pipe.

:lol: I am so glad I am not the only person that does this... :grin:

For the rubber skuffs that are burned on from your boots, use Brasso. This stuff will melt that material right off. It's particularly good for this use because it won't scratch your metal. You can get it just about anywhere: Walmart, grocery store, etc.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I use two polishes for the bare metal on the bird. Autosol and Autosol fine. And Meguiars. (sorry, that's three).

They will take out minor scratches and boot marks (even if nice and heavy). If you want that nice mirror finish afterward thats what the Autosol Fine is for.