CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need part # for Honda oil filter wrench

Lynx60

In FAQ/Easy Oil Changes, 6/22/01 by Warchild (comments by Carlos), there is a photo of the Honda oil wrench. Does anyone know the Honda part #? I want to order one. I'm trying to change the oil & filter via the above speedy method, but I'm having a hard time finding a suitable filter wrench where I live.

Lynx60

Peter, thanks very much for the info & web site for that filter wrench. That's exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered one today. That should make removing the filter a snap without taking off the plastic.

Lynx60

Are all Honda OEM filters the same size for all Honda sportbikes?

Unless you have the 80's VF bikes (Magna, Saber...) or paper filters (GL1200, dirt bikes, ATV's), as far as I'm aware - ALL honda bikes take the same filter. The number may be different, but they are all the "small" spin-on filters......CBR's, VFR's, Shadow's and Valkyrie's, Gold wings too.....

Cheers,

Ummmm I bought the filter wrench. Sheepish Suf Daddy.

Look here:

http://www.quattro123.com/OilChangeandFilters.htm Scroll down..........

I couldn't get the $5 wrench Warchild referenced. Maybe it was parts clerk BS. "that number doesn't come up............"

Part number: 15010 - MW0 - 000.

-Suf Daddy

Big fucking channel locks.

Ditto!!!

The two sized Bob Villa ones didn't fit.

Take the fairings off and put the bike on a stand and they may fit.

I had to go with the Honda filter wrench (photo at link below)

so it would JUST clear the tight space.

-Suf Daddy

http://www.quattro123.com/OilChangeandFilters.htm

You can use a Strap Wrench from Sears plus you can use it around the house also.
MVC-496F.JPG

Strap wrenches suck, I tried them. There's not enough room for them to be effective unless you remove the side panels. I use one of those oil filter wrenches that look sort of like a big set of channel locks. (I think someone posted a picture of one in another thread)

I got it for my birthday, and don't remember the brand name.

EDIT

Found a pic.

752836.jpg

Ok, as I've said in a previous post, I've already ordered the great looking filter wrench that Peter described above. However, a few days ago, I stumbled across the wrench that RodeRash depicted above. I found it in a "Sales Bin" at Sears. Cost $8. Took it home & tried it. It works great. Just put the bike on the center stand and reach up through the opening to grasp & twist the filter off. A piece of cake. I couldn't believe how simple it was to change the oil & filter this way instead of removing a plastic side panel.

I think I'll still prefer the wrench that Peter introduced (the one that I have on order) due to it's simplicity & elegance. But that $8 one that I got from Sears that RodeRash depicts does do the job with ease. By the way, the Sears wrench is made in China, a rather primitive cast-iron looking thing, but what the hell, it works fine.

Goodby Dealer when it comes to oil & filter changes!!! I can now do my own!

Thanks guys for all your fine suggestions!!!

Lynx60