CBR1100XX.org Forum

Light Bar Recommends?

rockmeupto125

It's so hard to choose.  And also reasonably good bars have foibles that may or may not matter to you.  I had a pretty good one but the light had a green-yellow cast, which is common with cheap LEDs, and it sorta annoyed me.  But it worked fine.

BUT...better headlights actually blew it away in range and quality.  What headlights do you have?  What vehicle is this for?  Once I upgraded the headlights on one of the Jeeps, the bar was less useful.

This was a pretty good one, but now I need to find the vendor.

28E39BA0-81F7-4932-98C5-E49FE649C6B6_1_105_c.jpeg

The Project Farm Youtube guy is always looking for ideas for comparison tests - this might be a good suggestion for him.  I'd guess there are a ton of videos on the subject already though.

I have one that I'm happy with, I think it might be Rough Country (almost certainly a rebranded China something).  It was on some half-price sale, got it for $120.  It's sure bright as fuck, but I have nothing to compare it to and don't know the real lumens/$$ quotient.  

I cheaped out and got the Sealights that Krypt recommended instead of the Phillips that Tomek spoke for because I didn't want to afford the Phillips.

The Sealights were well discounted and they put out a ton of white not yellow light in comparison to the stock bulbs, and I feel like they were a worthwhile upgrade if the bulbs last. They certainly extended my range and ease of driving at night, and as cliche as it is, I haven't been flashed yet except by one dickhead whose lights were in the top 10% of crazy bright lights I've seen (and I had my lows on). So that stat is on outlier, and irrevelevent.

The bar goes on my truck for a combination of cool factor, giggles, and extra light when I need it.  Around here, light bars double as driving lights on back roads and I'm not above that.  It doesn't have to be crazy bright. But it's all confusing.  I'm looking at 4WDKING 40 inch 200 watt for $120, and theres a Camiy 40 inch 540 watt for $40.  Things don't add up.

The problem with so many comparisons is that the low end stuff is frequently not traceable.  You may buy a light from XXchingli and it may work well, but in 6 months there's no trace of the company.

50 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

but in 6 months there's no trace of the company.

Not sure why that matters.  Warranty?  My experience is that these things work and don't fail.  I only care that it is good when it arrives.

Found the one on the Jeep.  It was good compared to stock headlights with upgraded bulbs.  It was less useful when I bought real, full on LED headlights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7JKN12?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've run cheepos and high end, and sadly, the high end were the only ones I found useful at all for my eyes, especially in dust where all they seemed to do was light it up and create a glare.  I also seem to be more finicky than others with LED lights, or maybe other people just refuse to admit/acknowledge how much most of them suck.

I've driven a bunch of vehicles with cheap/midgrade and thought they sucked.  The Baja Designs I had on my Jeep were great, but stupid $$$$$.  The VisionX were also very good and I think less $$$.  Rigid is good and $$-$-ish.  My friend put a $1500 Baja Designs bar on his RZR and it survived an estimated 100 miles, 1/3 of it is flickering, but I think that's not representative of their usual quality and they have a lifetime warrantee so it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, those headlights you helped me put in the Jeep really cut the dust, and showed how much the bar reflected from the dust.  The physics of that is perplexing.