CBR1100XX.org Forum

"Permanent" silicone thermal covers for oven racks

SwampNut

I assume everyone knows about the "magic" of silicone mats.  They keep this bullshit from becoming an annoying issue, just shake it off into the trash.  

E0C511A7-A865-498B-8673-F0D4394A00AB_1_102_o.jpeg

But our last mat order came with these split silicone tubes.  Now I don't need a mitt to pull a rack out to check cooking or flip something.

E9D4D69B-8CC4-444C-8CF0-690D5C214619_1_102_o.jpeg

I've used silicone mats for grilling - specifically, camping, where there's a grill but the remnants on it are of dubious health risk.  I've seen them advertised "for baking", but I didn't envision the purpose it would serve until now.  

I've used aluminum foil for that purpose, but it disturbs the natural convection in the oven and would probably wreak havoc on the forced convection when I use that.  I'm guessing the silicone would do the same, but it appears that you are using it for broiling - where heat doesn't have to circulate and getting the thermostat to read and control temps accurately isn't a concern.

Be careful pulling the rack out without protection - I've landed my fingers along the split in the tubing enough times to change my ways.

This guy is useful, and it's in your favorite measurement standard.

Screenshot2023-12-05at11_07_34AM.thumb.png.8d220ff61cacb91358b7951c45e19e6b.png

It's a split oven, I had both doors open in that pic.  The photo of the volcano is on the middle splitter thing.  You take it out to make one oven.  It's solid, so covering it changes nothing.  The bottom oven is dead to me, never used it, can't imagine why I ever will.

Oh, interesting.  I used to have a split oven, but it had separate doors.  I think I used the lower oven once, it was really only good for pizza or something fairly thin - maybe a cake or baking tray, cookie sheet.  Big family gatherings, parties... I guess I never needed to bake that much, especially at different temps.

I once had an electric warming drawer built into an island, I used the shit out of that.  It would get to 245º F, I actually did brisket and pulled pork in it a couple times.  Way more useful than I ever would have guessed.

This has a unique door.  Grab the handle but not the small lock release inside it, and a full size door opens.  Grab it with the release, and only the top 1/3 door piece opens.  Really cool.  It's rare to need anything other than the Breville do-everything, but sometimes it's useful, for group meals.  But I can't see going bigger to use the bottom.

If a non-oven just stove were available, I'd buy it and just use the Breville.

On 12/5/2023 at 8:42 AM, SwampNut said:

But our last mat order came with these split silicone tubes.  Now I don't need a mitt to pull a rack out to check cooking or flip something.

Looks like a good idea...'till someone grabs it willy nilly and either gets burnt because of the split or one of the perpendicular rods.

If this doesn't already exist, I think it would be a hit; a silicone covered handle that attaches to the rack.

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Looks like a good idea...'till someone grabs it willy nilly and either gets burnt because of the split or one of the perpendicular rods.

Children learn to not touch the stove one way.  Fuck 'em.

(Yes, I fully know it will be me, since I'm the one who mostly cooks.)