CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB electric trolling motor with scissor mount.

Need to specify saltwater or freshwater (white or black) and also what length shaft you need that way you can really cover all the racist and sexual stereotypes that Carlos forgot to include.

Jokes aside, saltwater/freshwater and shaft length are actual things you need to specify because if you put a freshwater short shaft trolling motor on a center console white fiberglass boat not only is it going to look stupid it may not touch the water.  You also don't need an 96" shaft saltwater trolling motor on a 14' black Triton cause that mofo will run deeper than the 300 Merc you got hanging off the back with a 200 shot of nitrous to beat everybody to the fishing hole.

The amount of thrust needed depends on how quick/fast you wanna be.  For just slow poking around a shoreline while fishing it won't take much.

I've only played with one once and don't remember the spec on it.  I do remember that it was under the recommended power for the boat and it was more than I needed for plucking fish.

No such thing as too much power....but low powered is lighter and cheaper.  Also keep in mind the existing wiring and amperage needs of a big motor.  I don't remember the wire size it has.

To be the cool guy on the block you need one with a wireless remote.  Back into the water and let the boat leave, go park, then have it come meet you at the dock.

• Useful/Thanks! 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

To be the cool guy on the block you need one with a wireless remote.  Back into the water and let the boat leave, go park, then have it come meet you at the dock.

It's also fun to watch everyone else flip out.  Guy backs up, brakes hard, boat leaves...alone.  Both the unmanned boat and truck go to leave, and everyone on the ramp is screaming.  Boat goes into virtual anchor mode and stays in place.

Gregg has one of those smart trolling motors on his Bass boat. Drives it from his controller on his wrist.

Impressive. logs points, path and auto corrects. He claims it's Ocean worthy. I believe him.

Anchor mode is cool also.

Can't spend 3k on this toy.

The scissor mount it what I really need. Lots of trolling motors on CL to choose from.

Thought I would ask here first.

Edited by CALCXX

So I bought a MinnKota Riptide 74lb 24v 48" shaft saltwater (because I wanted white), hand steer, bow mount, latch & door (the mount that you are calling "scissor") for $200 on Marketplace when I bought my boat a couple years ago because I didn't want to pay this:

https://www.amazon.com/Minn-Kota-Saltwater-Bow-Mount-Trolling/dp/B001M5TTF4/ref=sr_1_5?c=ts&keywords=Trolling+Boat+Motors&qid=1699483276&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7046332011&s=boating-water-sports&sr=1-5&ts_id=3397951

1 hour ago, CALCXX said:

Gregg has one of those smart trolling motors on his Bass boat. Drives it from his controller on his wrist.

Impressive. logs points, path and auto corrects. He claims it's Ocean worthy. I believe him.

Anchor mode is cool also.

Can't spend 3k on this toy.

The scissor mount it what I really need. Lots of trolling motors on CL to choose from.

Thought I would ask here first.

I have the $4,000 version 💛

Electronic deployment, anchor point (basically holds a GPS point so no anchor needed) and runs off a remote that hangs from my neck. 

• Like 1

Dave, is yours linked with your fish finder ?    

I watched the route on Greggs Fish Finder screen and could see the trolling motor correct for a little wind.

The anchor mode kept the boat in about a 15ft area. Impressive.

I will go the poor man way of using my foot if I have a big fish on.

That;s the plan anyway.

Edited by CALCXX

Well, I suggest you start hunting.  Bought mine off a guy about my age who said "call me".  I met him first thing in the morning.  He plugged it in to his boat right next to the new one he replaced it with to prove it worked.  There are still real people on there with real products, pretty easy to spot when they hand out numbers and can answer simple questions and you don't ask stupid ones.  Also helps when you've done your research (which is why I was mentioning all the stuff I said, because a scammer won't know any of that stuff but a REAL seller who REALLY used it will or will go check.)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CALCXX said:

I recently read no matter how much thrust they make, because of prop design, 5mph is the absolute max speed. Is that true ?

While not 100% precise, it's pretty much true.  And 5mph is probably only achieved by using one much larger than the normal recommended thrust for the boat.  The prop is kinda like the gearing on a land vehicle, if you can redline your engine in top gear, adding power won't add speed.

9 hours ago, CALCXX said:

I recently read no matter how much thrust they make, because of prop design, 5mph is the absolute max speed. Is that true ?

I’ve never wanted to troll for fish at 5MPH….?

Maybe troll for poon.😛

Brought my boat in yesterday and took off all my farkles before leaving it to be sold. 

Told him I was trying to sell the troller and batteries - they gave me $1200 for the whole package. He added it on to the trade so saves me not only the 12 but the tax on the 12. 

The storage place gave me a prorated refund of $900 too which they didn’t have to do. 

Cancelled my insurance too which was another $320.