CBR1100XX.org Forum

2 radiators vs 1 radiator.

The Krypt Keeper

Slowly knocking out some projects, got the next 9 days off. 

RC51 had some issues few weeks ago.  Electrical, easy fix blown fuse (but why did it blow) still looking. Took longer to remove plastics to get to fuse block

The fan fuse, which also messed with the turn signal and brake lights affected my sons night time adventures visiting family. This is why we learn hand signals. 

Roll outside to bring up to temp and see if fan kicks on and if fuse just gave up the ghost from 20yrs of heat and use. Instantly see a drip off the left radiator. 

New radiators ordered and damn what a pain to remove. Bike was wrecked by original owner, so she has been sporting slightly dinged radiators and Chinese plastics for a while. 

2 side radiators has to be the dumbest shit a honda engineer came up with. Even the RC51 race bikes ran a single front radiator. 

Now to install these spawns of Satan, figured I would rant while taking a break. 

20231028_105544.jpg

3 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

Electrical, easy fix blown fuse (but why did it blow) still looking.

On my 1978 CB 750 I had many years ago, I was riding and the main fuse went.  Replaced and it never went again.  Was there a voltage spike or the fuse weakened over time?  Who knows.

2 side radiators has to be the dumbest shit a honda engineer came up with.

Goldwings have them, you can get more square footage of radiator in there over the single unit.   Servicing cars and bikes seems to not even be a thought to the design engineers or at least it feels that way when you are working on them. 

2 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

On my 1978 CB 750 I had many years ago, I was riding and the main fuse went.  Replaced and it never went again.  Was there a voltage spike or the fuse weakened over time?  Who knows.

Goldwings have them, you can get more square footage of radiator in there over the single unit.   Servicing cars and bikes seems to not even be a thought to the design engineers or at least it feels that way when you are working on them. 

I hope they used a better design on the goldwing than between the SP1 and SP2 RC51. 

early SP1 models had 2 radiators and 1 fan. SP2 such as mine has 2 fans, that draws air in. Front cylinder and exhaust pipe sits basically between the radiators. Below 30ish mph the fans do their best, above 30mph the air coming in the front of the bike cancels out the air the fans can draw in.

Overheating can happen rapidly in mid summer in little traffic or a few traffic lights. Running engine ice is a help, a big modification people do is swap out the factory fans for larger sprawl fans turning in the opposite direction trying to evacuate as much heat away from the bike and not fight the front air once around 30mph +. A member on the RC boards made kits for this with new fan brackets. Not made anymore I believe, can get the fans but would need to fab up mounting and get connectors.

Another common mod I did install is an auxiliary switch to the heat sensor relay to use if temps started climbing. This allows you to get a head start if you encounter traffic. This is where I believe my trouble occurred, seems my son was flicking this on and off randomly riding at 60deg at night for his comfort than the bike needing it. 

That is where my troubles began, fuse blown, replaced the fuse but the switch to turn on fans is not working still. I rolled the bike outside to see if the fans would come on by themselves once it hit high temp and saw the leaking radiator so shut it down and tore apart.  Once I get the right side back together and the system filled up I get to check this again to see what works or dont. 

If they do work I most likely will remove this bar mounted switch all together, or replace it with a much smaller toggle that is hidden out of reach of kids fingers. 

Dang kids, he even asked me if he could ride it at RacerXX. 😆 

The issue is/was is weight distribution of 90 deg V2 engine, or not enough weight on front well. The powerplant is long vs. let's say, inline engines. Even with shorter V4 it is issue to some degree. Ducati MotoGp team solved it by aerodynamics and ride height devices. Before, they were loosing front end on alarming bases, and needed full alien Stoner to win championship. One of most gifted riders ever. And even he lost front end zillions of times.

Anyway, Honda did everything possible to move engine forward, and be able to use cheap off shelf radiators. HRC kit radiator is mounted in n the front, but it is not what you normally see, and, probably way more expensive to manufacture.

Having said that Ducati V2s have always had conventional set up. 

HRC kit radiators.

Honda-VTR1000-SP-1PA-HondaRC51_SP1-023.jpg

Edited by tomek

Yep, Rothmans and Thermae make a similar setup to get the radiators to the front. Back in the day the kits were $800 or so. Not plug and play either, you had to make it fit clearance of the plastics and front wheel during suspension travel under heavy braking. 

Miss watching Stoner race

Both radiators are on, now to fill and check for leaks again and then wrangle the plastics back on. 

DSC_5412.JPG

Edited by The Krypt Keeper

On 10/28/2023 at 12:02 PM, blackhawkxx said:

I've replaced many fuses that never popped again.  Kinda like a light bulb, it can only endure so many heat cycles before the metal breaks.

13 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

There is a pipe in the middle of the Vtwin engine connecting the two radiators and a "Y" pipe fitting left hand side under the tank towards the neck connecting them as well. 

Chances are you'll get different flow rates in each of them.

10 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Chances are you'll get different flow rates in each of them.

100% guaranteed that you will, but it doesn't matter.  I don't recall having a perceptible difference between them on my SuperHawk when using them to warm my hands, a handy feature of side mount radiators.

• Upvote 1

Both radiators on in filled, air bubbles purged and fans are now working as is the auxiliary switch. Had to do some wire chasing and found a broken connection near the relay plug. So now that all of that is done, I was just about ready to start putting plastics on and my son commented on removal of the exhaust and having it Jet coated to clean it up and protect it since it does look crappy. 

I was just about ready to start putting plastics on and my son commented on removal of the exhaust and having it Jet coated to clean it up and protect it since it does look crappy. 

If you do it be sure to take before and after photos plus the details on having it done, please.  Would you have to prep it, cost, time until returned, etc. is what would be interesting to know.

6 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

If you do it be sure to take before and after photos plus the details on having it done, please.  Would you have to prep it, cost, time until returned, etc. is what would be interesting to know.

Buddy had his exhaust done by a local shop handful of years ago. Going to check with him today for the shop info and reach out to them. 

10 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

AFAIK there's no prep to do, they do it.  I think they charge extra to decorbonize used parts, maybe you could do that part, but I'd ask them.  Chances are they'll want to do it anyway otherwise it would be risky to guarantee the job.

An alternative is a titanium pipe, probably only costs about a grand 😆

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

AFAIK there's no prep to do, they do it.  I think they charge extra to decorbonize used parts, maybe you could do that part, but I'd ask them.  Chances are they'll want to do it anyway otherwise it would be risky to guarantee the job.

An alternative is a titanium pipe, probably only costs about a grand 😆

I would love to put some dual ti leo vince pipes on her. Sexy italian rumble makers, 

Yeah, link type fuses weaken. My buddy Mike had an RC51. 

He went the simple way of thermostat bypass switch for slow summer traffic.

The front facicing radiator pics you posted show some thick radiators. Nice.