CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anybody have a heat pump dryer/washer combo?

SwampNut

Our washer and dryer work, but I'm still kind of eyeballing these for the energy savings, less wear and tear on clothes, and ease of a single unit doing it all.  Our existing machines are about 15 years on the washer, and probably 25 on the electric dryer (it cost $15 from a used appliance store long ago).

Obvious benefits:

Doesn't suck conditioned air out of the house

Uses less power all around

Don't have to move clothes

Lack of heat means clothes last 2x-4x longer

Any others?

Drawbacks:

$$$$$$$

Any others?

Heat pumps are the future. I’ll admit I have done zero research on them for drying clothes. Will the cold air be used to cool the house? What a great idea, less energy wasted. 
The idea popped up a few years ago for heating domestic water (it wasn’t well adopted) and it’s coming for hot water and steam. 
I remember seeing a “closet dryer” where you hang your wet clothes so no folding or ironing required I like the idea. Integration into a heat pump would be the future. 

5 minutes ago, JoWhee said:

Heat pumps are the future. I’ll admit I have done zero research on them for drying clothes. Will the cold air be used to cool the house? What a great idea, less energy wasted. 

It's basically a net zero, dehumidifier.  Remove the water, equalize the temps, never heat or cool.  Heat puts a lot of stress on clothes.

17 hours ago, SwampNut said:

As you know, the humidifier is on the laundry room wall, so another possibility is that I create a black hole.

At least then you'll know where the lost socks are going.