CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ryobi battery garden tools

SwampNut

Around a year ago I got a small (2g) backpack sprayer and a yard fogger.  Both have failed, under warranty.  The fogger has failed AGAIN and needs to go back again.  The warranty exchanges have been full on bullshit once, and a minor annoyance the other.  For the first one, the return/exchange desk said it was a service issue, and go there.  The service guy was a full on asshole about it, and was offended that I'd bring "a bunch of chemicals" in his shop.  And that it's impossible for him to touch it.  Back to returns, where a manager said he'd exchange it if they had another, and they did.  The OK exchange was a case where they didn't have my exact kit, but I already knew that they had a smaller kit, and I only needed the pump.  There was a little hesitation but the guy was willing to hand over the pump and keep the rest.  We'll see what happens next time.  There is zero chance I'd consider or recommend another Ryobi yard tool.  I don't have reason to believe this applies to the other tools, but also, no reason to believe it does not, other than the regular tools have high reviews.

When they work, they are absolutely excellent.  And the sprayer has an exceptionally great adjustable wand, better than the two other manual ones I own. 

Oh, warranty is three years.

Thanks for the review.  I hope that it doesn't apply to their tools as I have been sucked into buying more (7 I think).  I do have their lawn mower for 2 years now and it has been flawless and haven't had any trouble so far with the rest.  The price and the one battery is what drew me in.    

It could really be coincidence, bad luck, etc.  I've only heard good things about their battery tools before, so that's why I got them.  The Dewalt equivalents were several times the cost even counting the batteries (included with the Ryobi stuff).  I will try exchanging the fogger today.  We have an asian mosquito invasion that's super annoying.

Also they have a new ultrasonic fogger, which would be nicer.  I have a heated coil type.  Maybe I can talk them into a change.

Asian tiger mosquitos can survive a crazy long time dry, and can be activated by a hint of moisture.  Apparently even just wet things and not standing water, such as a hole in a tree that may eventually get wet.  They are smaller than normal, and can get through nets.  They are super aggressive biters and one will bite a person dozens of times unlike normal US mosquitos.  BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!  They are also resistant to many common consumer pesticides (I use something that works, but is crazy expensive).  At least the fogger keeps them away, but lasts just through the evening, not multiple days.

Reason 857 we should have nuked China long ago.

I've hit those fuckers with a few different flavors of canned "flying insect" killer and it mostly does nothing.  If I get a really solid hit it'll knock them to the ground, then they shake it off and go back to attacking if I don't rush over and smash them.  I have a really old can of stuff I inherited which had an interesting effect, after several minutes the antennae or a couple legs had detached and they were on the ground still moving around for several minutes.  I don't know if they fell off or it pulled them off.  I think the wings came off too, but they're really small and it was on dirty concrete so I'm not sure.  I finally smashed it and moved on.  Belt dressing knocks them down and they stay down, I think it glues their wings.  But the shit's messy and they're quite zippy so getting a hit on them is difficult.

Suspend SC and TalstarP seem to do nothing.  ExciteR might work, but it has very little residual effect.  I dribbled some ExciteR into a bucket of rain water, it killed the larvae in it and none came back after several weeks of it being out, but maybe just because ExciteR is oil based and not because of the poison.  A film of oil on the water keeps them from being able to breathe.  I check it regularly and have watched a few mosquitoes approach the water and then fly off, they apparently know it's no bueno.

The eggs can live a long time in the dry, like years.  And a thimble of water can be enough to get them going.  I had a 5 gallon bucket with really old dog shit in it, don't ask me why, there's no good reason.  It looked dry, but the bottom was damp.  I didn't realize they were breeding in it 'till I moved it and they swarmed out.  For about two weeks I hit that bucket with every insecticide I own to see what would work, but every time I checked there were still mosquitoes in it so I ended the experiment into the trash can.  The insecticides were probably just helping keep the turds damp for them.

Hornady One Shot gun lube just makes them smell good so don't bother wasting it.  I didn't expect much, but it was right next to me so I tried.  According to google it appears that the only defenses are frequent yard foggings and breeding prevention.