CBR1100XX.org Forum

South Beach Diet

Jette

Hi all, this is only my second post on this forum, but glad you are here.

I have been reading the South Beach Diet. It looks very similar to Atkins, but allows more GOOD carbs and encourages less saturated fat. It was written by a cardiologist and a nutritionist. Has anyone tried this plan?

I did Atkins before, lost 10 pounds, but then leveled out. I regained immediately after quitting.

Should I try the low carb thing again? I just don't know if I have the motivation..

Maybe you shouldn't "quit" but always moderate your carbs. That's what I do, and I'm stable at my weight. I'd like to lose more, so I may do another deep low-carb regimen for a few months.

What I did was extreme low carb for one month (under 20g/day), then very slowly increase to under 40 for a couple months, then maybe 50-60 for another couple. I lost 40 pounds the first month or so, then a little more. I'm now 50 down from where I started and level. Now I'm eating up to 100/day and feel like it is too much though, as my blood sugar fluctuates too much (borderline diabetic).

I think a lifetime diet of lower-than-recommended carbs is healthy. I've seen a lot of evidence that our "normal" carb intake is too high in general.

I've been on the South Beach diet for a month now with great results. I've lost 15 lbs and have way more energy than I did before. I wan't exactly fat but I topped out at 235 and want to get back down to 210. At that weight I'll be pretthy thin but muscular.

None of my pants fit very well now as the belly fat was literlly "zapped". The thing about the South Beach diet is the food is really very good, it is easy to get suitable meals in restaurants and on the go and the long term health benefits are (in my opinion) much better than Atkins.

Highly recommended!

• 1 year later...

I have been on the SB diet for two months with great results... although I was overweight at 6'3" and 220ish lbs for the past several years (highest ever was 240 back in 1997), I was not obese.

I did not even want to go on a diet, I just wanted to eat healthier.

I knew having (1) a bowl of sugar cereal, bagel or doughnuts for bfast, (2) pizza or sub sandwich for lunch, and (3) pasta for dinner most days was gunna catch up, especially with what I learned about the threat of diabetes.

So my wife and I started and haven't looked back. With the combo of exercise and the good carbs and good fats in phase 2 (after surviving the intense 2-week phase 1), I am consistently residing around 200lbs.

I stongly recommend this updated handbook, which has outstanding tables of nearly every food on the planet (30 pages of charts!) explaining what you can eat in what phases. The big, original book is a very good read, but this handbook is a must have for healthy eating:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Congrats.  I'm 6'2 and 230lbs.  Also not obese, but would like to get rid of the beer belly.  Can you drink alcoholic beverages on this diet.  I can't live without a little fun  :(

No alcohol in the first phase, an intense detox of your body off of the bad carbs polluting your body. With a clean slate and your internal insulin retrained, you can add 'good' carbs slowly in phase 2, including wine and straight alcohol (well, at least with mixers that containe NO sugar or corn syrup, etc, i.e., seltzer/club soda = yes, tonic/coke/7up = no).

Which is fine for me, cuz i love wine and grey goose on the rocks.

I run (hard) for 20 mins every second or 3rd day.

I can (almost) eat what I want...

8)  

No substitute for pain and sweat....

I work out as well, but the SB diet isn't really about losing weight so you can look better... like most diets. SB is about retraining your body to operate correctly so you can avoid the health problems that inflict many americans later in life: heart disease, diabetes, etc. It is still wrong to eat 'whatever', regardless of an incredible exercise plan. You need to cut all simple carbs or carbs with high a glycemic index (1. anything with 'white' flour like white breads, most cereals, cakes, cookies, etc. 2. all potatoes, period) and all 'added' sugars, meaning if it doesn't occur naturally in the fruit, veggie, etc. then don't put it in your body (like sugar, corn syrup, fructose, etc.). Replace bad carbs with good carbs (whole grain cereals, breads, crackers) and bad sugars with nothing or with a artificial sweetener.

A correct eating plan should always be balanced with exercise. With the SB and exercise, no joke, I am approaching the fitness, stamina and look I had 20 years ago when I was 21.

Congrats.  I'm 6'2 and 230lbs.  Also not obese, but would like to get rid of the beer belly.  Can you drink alcoholic beverages on this diet.  I can't live without a little fun  :(

No alcohol in the first phase, an intense detox of your body off of the bad carbs polluting your body. With a clean slate and your internal insulin retrained, you can add 'good' carbs slowly in phase 2, including wine and straight alcohol (well, at least with mixers that containe NO sugar or corn syrup, etc, i.e., seltzer/club soda = yes, tonic/coke/7up = no).

Which is fine for me, cuz i love wine and grey goose on the rocks.

Thanks, I'm going to give this one a try. Need to go get the book and get serious.

-Sorry if I hijacked a little :oops:

Would Grapenuts constitute a whole grain cereal? I used to really like eating it, but stopped when I did Atkins a few years ago and saw how high the carbs per serving were.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If your concerned about carbs, grapenuts would not be a good choice. A great cereal with whole grains and fiber in it would be Kashi.

I ain't eatin nothin called Kashi....................................................... :P

Fuggin birdfood. :x

If your concerned about carbs, grapenuts would not be a good choice. A great cereal with whole grains and fiber in it would be Kashi.

I ain't eatin nothin called Kashi....................................................... :P

I dont eat it myself, but if I want some cereal that has alot of fiber in it and low in carbs I eat Flax-O-Meal, just like oatmeal, but low in carbs and very high in fiber.

I take a flax oil as well everyday.

I dont eat it myself, but if I want some cereal that has alot of fiber in it and low in carbs I eat Flax-O-Meal, just like oatmeal, but low in carbs and very high in fiber.

I take a flax oil as well everyday.

Flax-O-Meal sounds good I'll have to try it, the Flax oil though don't really think I'd like putting that in anything beside the Flax-O-Meal. :lol: :wink:

• 1 month later...

OK........was reading this thread again the other day & decided to give SB a try. Today was day 1/Phase 1. Bought the book last night. Had lost 52 lbs. over the last couple years, but this year have seen 20-25 of it come back. Sitting on my ass as an engineer plus the hours aint helpin'. At least as a conductor I was constantly walking 2-4 mile trains & climbing up and down ladders all day.

1 day down..........13 to go

I just started this again too. I'm on day 4 but I won't weigh myself til tommorow. Hardest day so far was day 3.

I love chocolate.

So I tried to cut the craving with a little Jello light ( no carbs no sugar) IT gave me the idea that I was having dessert. It has worked for now.

:roll:

Hey..........we started the same day......I'm on Day 4 now too!!! I weigh myself everyday...always have...damage control :lol: Anyway, I'm down about 5-6 lbs so far.

Have had a few quick cravings for stuff, usually TV commercial induced, but nothing I've caved to so far.

Hang tough. My wife wanted to do it with me again.......she was my rock the last time, but with her being pregnant, she's having a harder time sticking to it this time :wink:

Almost forgot.......we got those sugar free jellos too. Haven't tried one yet....I keep forgetting they're in there. Never been a big jello person (unless it's mixed with whip cream :twisted: ) but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures!! :D

That reminds me.........have you found the south beach forum. Kinda funny.........it's the same format as this one.

Here's the link.......

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/index.php

I did searches for some of the things I wasn't sure were allowed or not. Pretty helpful. There's several lists on there of do's/don'ts

OK........NOW I'm tempted!!! :roll: Wife & kids are having Pizza Hut right now.......uuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhh......and they made ME go get it?!? :shock: :)

MUST..STAY...STRONG

Eating the delicious scrambled eggs my daughter ate me......I mean made me :P

• 2 weeks later...
we got those sugar free jellos too.

I like them.. maybe you should see whats in the cool whip light? Maybe it doesn't have much sugar in it?

Make your own....whip up a some heavy whipping cream with splenda.