CBR1100XX.org Forum

DiWHY

SwampNut

Our whole house water monitor alerted that the battery was dead.  The app says to only use their battery, not try to replace the cells in the pack.  This of course tells me that I should go replace the cells since enough people did it, that they have to warn against it.  I start to google and "Flume 2 battery hack" actually comes up before "Flume 2 battery pack" which is what I meant to type.  I found a lot of people saying they did it, and how, and that the cells are just Lithium AAs.  Cool, those are only like $10 for four.

Ok, back to finding "Flume 2 battery pack" to see what it costs.  $15

People are doing all this to save $5.

c7opolvuub6a1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

i6npjlw9vb6a1.jpg?width=1280&format=pjpg

Well, I was informed that we already own a bunch of these, and have no other use for them.  Also ours is an older model without the sealed battery box.  So...

2E6D3440-8B68-4B72-ABDC-221187153AEF_1_102_o.jpeg

On the left, new ones.  On the right, old ones.  See the difference?

Just sharing.  It would never have crossed my mind to even look at doing this, until I saw their warning not to do this when I was about to just order their pack.

I guess it's like when I got that prescription drug that would be $1040, and searching for prices, I saw the manufacturer warning people about clones from compounding pharmacies and China.  Wait...I have options!

6 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Just sharing.  It would never have crossed my mind to even look at doing this, until I saw their warning not to do this when I was about to just order their pack.

I guess it's like when I got that prescription drug that would be $1040, and searching for prices, I saw the manufacturer warning people about clones from compounding pharmacies and China.  Wait...I have options!

I didn't ask in a negative way but I would be temped to write them a note calling out their BS about not changing the batteries yourself.

What would you say?  Pretty much every company wants you to use their parts, no?  They even state why, and it's a reasonable statement.  They said they went from user replaceable to not because during cooties the battery supply changed to batteries with no internal short circuit protection.  So they built the closed case with protection.  I had the old case.  My new batteries are internally protected.  You can't explain this to your average user.

This company has done the right thing multiple times, like eliminating the subscription fee for water leak alarms and other important info, and the price/performance is great.  Emails are answered within hours.  I almost feel bad not sending them $15.

On 7/16/2023 at 10:00 AM, SwampNut said:

Well, I was informed that we already own a bunch of these, and have no other use for them.  Also ours is an older model without the sealed battery box.  So...

2E6D3440-8B68-4B72-ABDC-221187153AEF_1_102_o.jpeg

On the left, new ones.  On the right, old ones.  See the difference?

The labeling is a bit different, but I don't see a smoking gun of importance on them except the dates.  The old ones have a newer date than the new ones, pretty odd.  I see an indented ring at the + end of the batteries on the right, that might be an indication of a difference within the battery.