CBR1100XX.org Forum

erion 4 into 1

ptxyz

i remember hearing their cans are loud.  will it be too much compared to my current yoshi slip-ons?

bike's an '01 with the o2 and pair delete.  i have a pc3 that's yet to be installed.

Vance and Hines Sidewinder, #1 loudest (think high school cheerleader screaming at Taylor Swift through a megaphone on crack.)
D&D (whatever that racing exhaust is I have that has zero baffles), #2 loudest (see above, minus the crack.)
Everybody else is a DISTANT third and not even in the same zip code.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Furbird said:

Vance and Hines Sidewinder, #1 loudest (think high school cheerleader screaming at Taylor Swift through a megaphone on crack.)
D&D (whatever that racing exhaust is I have that has zero baffles), #2 loudest (see above, minus the crack.)
Everybody else is a DISTANT third and not even in the same zip code.

Where would you put "stock header, no cans"?  I'd hate to think that there is anything louder than that, or an open megaphone side-winder.

Sidewinder is way, WAY worse than "stock header, no cans" because instead of 4 into 2 tiny ports it's 4 into 1 then takes that sound and amplifies it into a GIGANTIC megaphone tip.  The D&D version is the exact same thing, the only difference is they put a small tapered-in section at the end as some sort of veiled attempt at "sound deadening" and "increasing back pressure for torque improvement" which is the most LOL shit I've ever seen (I know because Furbird V2 has this system.)  I had a KZ1000 with a Sidewinder and Furbird with the D&D and multiple people came up to me and said Furbird was louder than my KZ.  Even D&D was known as the loudest street exhaust on sportbikes back in the day, so obviously that's what I have on Furbird V1.  My 4-1 was by far louder than anything else with 4-1 or with stock headers and slip-ons with a full-length can.

These days though it's like these guys are intentionally going the obnoxious route, with the shortest can possible, exiting by their feet, and sounding like a 92 Civic with a 7 inch tip and a 5 foot tall trunk wing held on with duct tape and blowing more smoke than a squatted truck rolling coal and dragging chrome fake nuts on the trailer hitch.

11 hours ago, ptxyz said:

i remember hearing their cans are loud.  will it be too much compared to my current yoshi slip-ons?

bike's an '01 with the o2 and pair delete.  i have a pc3 that's yet to be installed.

What Yoshi? IIRC they had two types of cans, street legalish Zyclone with clever inner tapered tube, and straight thru RS-3 race baffle. The latter obviously being louder.

My XX had full system RS3 with titanium oval can. Was not too bad, certainly not obnoxious. 

IIRC Erion with it's smallish round cans was rather on loud side of aftermarket cans spectrum.

14 hours ago, Furbird said:

I had a KZ1000 with a Sidewinder and Furbird with the D&D and multiple people came up to me and said Furbird was louder than my KZ.

This I would have to hear for myself, as I have never heard a Bird with a sidewinder, or D&D 4-1.  I just had a Yosh header with no muffler.  That was plenty loud.  Those damn KZ megaphones will wake the dead in China.  Put one on a ZX-14 motor, and it seems to get worse, but that might just be the 14:1 pistons.

Edited by jon haney

Use to have a full D&D on a 750 back in the day, obnoxious loud. People made me ride in the back because of it. 

Have dual GPR's on the RC51, make a D&D seem mild. Currently she is running dual Two Bros which are an improvement after adding in a set of baffles and is still a tad over my liking. Love the sound of the twin, but honestly don't see how harley riders tolerate those straight pipes. 

Screenshot.jpg

On 7/14/2023 at 12:48 AM, tomek said:

What Yoshi? IIRC they had two types of cans, street legalish Zyclone with clever inner tapered tube, and straight thru RS-3 race baffle. The latter obviously being louder.

My XX had full system RS3 with titanium oval can. Was not too bad, certainly not obnoxious. 

IIRC Erion with it's smallish round cans was rather on loud side of aftermarket cans spectrum.

not sure, here's a pic.  google searching makes me think rs3.  they're on the mild side of aftermarket exhaust noise.

as that erion system was only $300 on flea bay, i jumped on it.  

IMG_3200.JPG

4 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Here is a pic of my RS-3.  They are early ones that are made of aluminum.  I think they went to stainless later.

Yosh.thumb.jpg.4ad06897d3899accb99805b5b61b3d4b.jpg

When I got mine, early 1999, they were available in aluminum, carbon fiber and titanium. They do sound different, carbon fiber being the most musical and loudest, IMHO of course. Mine were titaniums.

IIRC RS3 cans are separate piece without head pipes, spring loaded assembly. 

yup, mine are the c.f. version.  nameplate says rs-3.

think it will run decently without a power commander (i have a pc3 yet to be installed)?

56 minutes ago, ptxyz said:

yup, mine are the c.f. version.  nameplate says rs-3.

think it will run decently without a power commander (i have a pc3 yet to be installed)?

I ran my '01 with the Yosh 4-1 full system and no tuning, ran great and made noticeably more mid-high RPM power.  Low RPM, below 4k, seemed to be weaker than stock, to be expected, but I was surprised at how much it gained higher up.  Your cans on the stock header I expect the power band to not change as much as the full system, but still pick up a bit of power.  Probably more low-mid power and less high end compared to the 4-1.  Switching from the Yosh cans to a full system might be a mild enough change to not notice, I went from stock to the Yosh system so it was a bigger change.

When you get the Erion please post a couple pics of it, I'm curious to see how the pipes/collector are laid out.

15 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I ran my '01 with the Yosh 4-1 full system and no tuning, ran great and made noticeably more mid-high RPM power.  Low RPM, below 4k, seemed to be weaker than stock, to be expected, but I was surprised at how much it gained higher up.  Your cans on the stock header I expect the power band to not change as much as the full system, but still pick up a bit of power.  Probably more low-mid power and less high end compared to the 4-1.  Switching from the Yosh cans to a full system might be a mild enough change to not notice, I went from stock to the Yosh system so it was a bigger change.

When you get the Erion please post a couple pics of it, I'm curious to see how the pipes/collector are laid out.

Youshimura header was 4-2-1 not 4-1. Stock header on 99 and up had different pairing of primaries vs. carb models. Former favoring midrange, and Ram Air talking care of some lost top end.  

AFAK all aftermarket headers had paring of primaries similar to carb models. 

I run 99 FI model without anything for first year or two before PC2 became available. It run good but bike got much better highway fuel economy with property tuned power commander.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, superhawk996 said:

, but I was surprised at how much it gained higher up

Dyno results?