CBR1100XX.org Forum

Recommend me a signal booster for DTV.

Zero Knievel

I want just the booster, not an antenna or antenna with booster.

We can’t get certain channels because they are in a higher UHF band (although still identified in the VHF channel scheme).  Our existing booster (from Radio Shack) doesn’t work in that range which is why we do well with some but not other DTV channels.

17 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

I want just the booster, not an antenna or antenna with booster.

Garbage in, garbage out.  It all starts with maximizing the antenna FIRST, then boost.  I've told my neighbors this, they ignored me, went the easy/cheap way, and then went ahead and got the correct antenna which actually worked.  Just boosting a shit antenna did not.  We are just over a mountain and probably 60 miles from the transmitters.

Oh, also, cap off all open coax connections or remove any you don't need, minimize splitters, etc.  The less "stuff" in the signal paths or connected as an off-shoot, the better.

Or realize it's 2023 and stream.

51 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Garbage in, garbage out.  It all starts with maximizing the antenna FIRST, then boost.  I've told my neighbors this, they ignored me, went the easy/cheap way, and then went ahead and got the correct antenna which actually worked.  Just boosting a shit antenna did not.  We are just over a mountain and probably 60 miles from the transmitters.

The outdoor antenna we have should be adequate.  The booster was always needed, and it’s simpler to upgrade the booster with a newer one and THEN replace the antenna if it still doesn’t work.  We were fine until some channels went to a new antenna which transmits in the higher UHF band.  Other channels don’t pose an issue.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Think about that.

When you’re far enough away, an antenna can only do so much.  It’s a fairly large aerial, and if I have to replace it, I have to hire someone to install it.  I’d rather buy a >$40 booster and call it a day if it works.  I don’t even watch fucking TV, but mom won’t shut up about it.

On 6/26/2023 at 11:40 AM, Zero Knievel said:

It supposedly does VHF and UHF, and many more, so it should cover your needs.

Well, booster arrived…didn’t work.  Only got one channel band (all the channel 39 variants).

I noticed the coax connections were loose (tension type, not screw on).  Used channel locks to make them tight.  No improvement.

Put old 30-year-old booster back on.  All the channels are back…even the ones mom was complaining about. 🤯

I’m calling it a win and quitting while I’m ahead.

If only we had someone here that knew a fuckall about radio signals he mighta mentioned checking the coax connections as well.

During one of my service provider changes the guy tested the old coax and said it was pretty shitty so he replaced it, internet speed went up a lot.

<Looks at wall of FCC certs...wonders who>

Speaking of which, I may get to fly to the mountain again this week, I'm sure as hell hoping to.  I called shotgun. 

689D81A6-2BD9-44D7-8FA7-6B18EC2D21E0_1_105_c.jpeg

E75598C3-F262-4464-8FF1-58F8086FF9E9_1_105_c.jpeg

8A3CA176-FF76-4538-9A38-3EB615A7EB4D_1_105_c.jpeg

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

If only we had someone here that knew a fuckall about radio signals he mighta mentioned checking the coax connections as well.

I wouldn’t expect INTERNAL wiring to become loose from just sitting there.

19 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

You also shouldn't assume anything.  People are lazy, so it may be loose to start with.  Also corrosion happens and changes fit.  Removing and reconnecting is also a good move.  Checking for corrosion in your environment is smart.  Did you catch the bit about capping open connections and about removing what you don't need?  One of my neighbors had the entire house hooked up in parallel with the antenna, that's fucked.  Most people don't understand just how tiny that signal is.  Which is why antennas matter.

I found this site helpful when I was doing my due diligence on OTA broadcasting/reception/boosting issues and subsequent antenna selection.

https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=75

It's an older site, but the laws of physics haven't changed. The right antenna, its placement, elevation, aiming (pursuant to design), and minimal run/connections are always the key elements. Maximize their efficiency, then consider boosting the received signal. Remember, a booster can only work with the basic signal as received by the antenna; if it's weak & crappy, a booster will only give you more of the same.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ironmike said:

if it's weak & crappy, a booster will only give you more of the same.

So I walk into this medium sized server room at the center of a building, with pretty well no cell signal.  The CIO is wondering if I can help figure out why the cheap-ass cell booster he bought on Ali is not doing anything.  "Where is your outside antenna?"  He points out the closest window.  I ask him whether the signal survey showed that to be the best place, or if they just used it as the closest space.  "What's a signal survey??"  Ok, let's try this...what's the dB gain on the antenna, and how did you decide where to point it...?  Blank look.  Aha.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:56 AM, Zero Knievel said:

Expect every single possible fault imaginable, then a few more.

5 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Expect every single possible fault imaginable, then a few more.

This was a fun one.

"Nothing else has worked, we should go up the tower and check the dish grounding cable."

"Nah, it's like #4 wire, it can't be damaged."

065FDD85-7245-4E03-873E-97E77A8CC70F_1_105_c.jpeg

Gah!  Mom still isn't happy.  I'm telling her to just hire someone to come out and fix the issue.  Maybe we need a new antenna.  Maybe the tree growth has gotten to the point where the antenna needs to be even higher or relocated on the property.  I'm not doing it.