CBR1100XX.org Forum

Honest insights on modern pickup trucks.

Zero Knievel

4 hours ago, googus said:

Yes it was a shock

wish I could do myself

IMG_0850.jpeg

Price the parts (pair) yourself so you can compare labor cost at different places.  A good small shop can save money or a good mechanic willing to do it after hours.  

• Upvote 1

I just looked coilovers and they go as low as 300.00 or so. Replacing the coil over and shock in one piece looks a little better then the other multiple steps taking the shock out of the coil spring:)

a whole rough country all around with a 2in lift up front is around $600 and then guys that have knowledge took 2hours. They stated truck rides almost like stock with less body role. 

my truck isn’t that old and pretty clean so bolts shouldn’t be frozen. We will se

Edited by googus

If you compress the spring while it's in the truck it'll probably allow removal without removing the upper arm.  Installing the compressor while the suspension is loaded eliminates all or most of the work of cranking the compressors.

Another option may be to hammer out the lower mounting studs allowing the bottom of the shock to slide out instead of having to be lifted out, that could eliminate the need to compress the spring.

If you don't want to transfer the springs and ends, you can buy shocks that come fully assembled with the springs ready to install.  The lower bolts on most, maybe all, aftermarket shocks aren't pressed in like the OE ones so if the old one slips out with the studs removed, the new one will slip in.

• Upvote 1