CBR1100XX.org Forum

Been Sitting a Minute or Two

OhLordyMyKnees

So I'm back after a bit of a hiatus.  The last thing I ever did to my '02 XX was take it halfway apart.  That was in 2016.  It hasn't run under its own power since.  After getting some things in life back under control, I want to get her running again.  Hopefully in time for spring 2023. 

Clearly the Important/Useful Threads and The Garage will be my new home for a while. 

I would like to start with a comprehensive (as much as possible) list of tools, accessories, and parts I will need to make this possible. The issues that prompted the initial tear-down were poor cooling (original rad and fan) and the rear brakes got locked up.  I also had an upgraded rear shock and Samco rad hoses sitting around, so I figured I'd install those with the other jobs.  Realized I had the wrong hoses (CB instead of CBR), ran into some electrical gremlins, got busy, put a cover over her, moved a couple times, etc. 

I know I will need to remove and clean out the tank.  Replace spark plugs.  Replace heavily rusted chain and sprockets. Remove and refinish front forks (spotty rust).  Replace tires.  Replace battery.  New oil and filter.  Make sure Ebay radiator hadn't sprung any leaks.  Probably rebuild the brake cylinders.  Oh and I seem to have lost the ECU 😬.  Still have the original exhaust cans though 🙄.

Am I missing anything obvious / critical?

7 minutes ago, OhLordyMyKnees said:

I would like to start with a comprehensive (as much as possible) list of tools, accessories, and parts I will need to make this possible.

JIS drivers are useful, in a drill/driver format as well as hand driver.  The "Phillips" screws on the bike are actually JIS and work far better with those drivers.

Set of metric hex tools in both hand and driver/socket format, and both flat and ball end.  A few places are much easier to reach with a ball end.

The obvious full set of metric sockets, extensions, and a wobbler extension or two.

Obviously the rebuild kits for the brake cylinders, a new thermostat and gasket since you mentioned cooling, and probably a fork seal kit since you mentioned those were pitted.

Based on the number of issues and missing items though, you might be better off just buying another bike.  I don't know how much of this is "I want a hobby" versus "I just want to ride."  You should weigh those thoughts yourself.

• Upvote 1

Pull all the plugs and make sure a cylinder hasn't flooded.  You'd probably smell it in your oil when you do the change, but it's worth checking. 

Also, others with FI will chime in, but I believe there's an issue with the fuel shutoff on the tank going bad over time, that may require inspection.  

Don't know about the environment in which it was stored, but rats: wires and air paths need inspection.

Someone here probably has anything you need for parts.  Or eBay, buyer beware (especially on electrical/electronic stuff).

Sounds like you have a fun project on your hands, but I'm glad it's not mine - I have enough.

• Upvote 1

I'm moving this to the garage, so it won't just get buried in political shit and purse-swinging about Teslas.

Mike makes a great point about environment, and relative to both the electrical and fuel systems.

26 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Based on the number of issues and missing items though, you might be better off just buying another bike.  I don't know how much of this is "I want a hobby" versus "I just want to ride."  You should weigh those thoughts yourself.

I want to ride. But the wife says there's only room for 1 bike in the carport, and she's usually right.

Sounds like I need to continue taking things apart to temporarily store in the basement, much to her consternation. So I can check airways and such. 👍

What I lack in determination, I try to make up for with stubbornness and six packs. 

• Upvote 1

If that tank wasn't completely empty, the fuel pump is done.  Don't buy the $500 one from Honda, get the little $40 one on ebay and clean out all the rust from the brillo pad while you have it apart.  The part number for the fuel filter from Oreilly's is somewhere on here that I got them to match up so you don't have to buy the $100 one from Honda.  Good luck on an ECU, definitely will have to find one on the boards because I haven't see one on ebay lately (which means there's a hundred since I just posted this... 🤣)

New plugs are optional, they don't go bad with age.  Tank cleaning will depend on condition once you check it.  The fuel pump might be fucked, perfectly fine, or in between.  Same with brake components and injectors.  FPR is almost guaranteed to be bad or go bad shortly after you get it running, replace it.  I'd pull it off to flush out the fuel rail then install the new one.