CBR1100XX.org Forum

251 degrees?

troypennock

The elevation was 120 feet, the free air temp was 92 degrees (closer to 100 at pavement level) and the terrain was flat. I was in a traffic jam, moving at about one mile per hour, for three hours and my temperature gauge indicated 251 degrees (flashing and underlined in red) four times. Each time this happened, I stopped, shut off the engine, and let the vehicle cool for thirty minutes. The history: 2001, purchased new April 25, 2004, has about 1700 miles, and has indicated 200 degrees at 70 miles per hour when the FAT is above 90 degrees. Is this normal for this model?

Your traffic situation, yes. Sitting at what amounts to a dead stop, cooling-wise, will result in overheating.

My '01 never runs over 185 as long as I'm moving 50mph+, regardless of "free air temp", so you may have cooling issues if you're running at 200 degrees @ 70 mph, assuming you'd been at that speed for long enough for the temp to stabilize.

What he said, only I would add check your stat and radiator for internal cleanliness, if it was sitting for years unsold it may have had build-up on the inside of the radiator.

Also, use some Redline Water Wetter in it, it helps!

Mine gets to 220 idleing in the hot but never goes above 180-185 when moving above 45 mph

-Dave

I would agree with Redbird. My 2001 always sets right at 186 when moving over 50 mph. I too had a problem with heavy traffic and when it hit 250 and started to blink I freaked out and split traffic turned down a side road and went about 3 blocks and the temp dropped to 125 and falling.

After that one time, I then flushed out the antifreeze and replaced with pure Engine Ice. I helped with the traffic temps and made the temp climb alot slower but still would reach that 250 flashing point so took it to Honda and changed out the radiator cap and replaced the EngineIce with Honda antifreeze water mix per Honda spec's. It has not been back up to that 250 mark since but has gotten to 235. I am now cautious about long idle speeds and avoid them when possible.

My next service I am going back to EngineIce but I have been saying that now for over a year. The problem is that the Bird never needs service !

The EngineIce did not change the 186 normal temp when riding but did cause it to slow down the upward climb in traffic.

Most here will tell you that the Bird just runs naturally alittle higher temp than many bikes but I agree 250 is to high. You did the right thing by either stopping or as I did pulling out of traffic and get some air circulating to drop the temp fast. It does drop very fast when moving.

I have investigated options on larger more efficient cooling fans and replacement blades but have not be able to find anything worthwhile.

Lest not yet.

If I find something that works well, you can bet it will be all over this forum.

Get get out and ride and stay out of heavy traffic. Heavy traffic equals a Cage with A/C anyway here in Sunny South Florida ! :cool:

Mine is a '02 bought in '02 brand new Euro Spec. I'm from Malaysia and very near to the Equator.

Even from new, my XX always run hot. I could not get Water Wetter so I replaced the OEM coolant with Engine Ice. The only thing good about the Engine Ice is that it will cool much faster compare to the OEM coolant when the engine is switch off. It tooks around 20 minutes to cool down to 185(85C) compare to the OEM 60 minutes.

When I am moving at 70 mph the temperature will still be around 205(96C) - 212(100C). When it reached 212(100C) the radiator fan starts. Only when it reach back to 205(96C) the fans stops. There is one time, I were moving at 70 mph for almost 2 hours, the fan never stop. Will this cause problem with the battery and the motor fan ? Speed above 100 mph will see the temp at 201(94C). The only thing is that not always I manage to reach this speed as the road condition does not allow me to do so. By the way my country speed limit is 70 mph.

In traffic jam, in 10 minutes it will shoot up to 239 (115 C). When I start moving again the temp will go down to 212(100C) and stays there. It will shoot up again the minute I stop or slow down.

With this info, do I have overheating problem ? Any suggestion to improve the situation. Should I change the radiator cap as it could be only suitable for Euro whether. Do you think it will make a difference if I use Water Wetter and the Honda OEM coolant ? Can I mix it with Engine Ice ? Previously I manage to ignore this however when reading this thread it makes me worry again as 201(94C) is consider high.

HELP HELP

I'm really curious to see if this will help on an water cooled engine, but the tip for overheating air cooled engines is to turn up the idle rpm. This speeds up oil circulation which should also help with the temperatures.

In traffic jam, in 10 minutes it will shoot up to 239 (115 C). When I start moving again the temp will go down to 212(100C) and stays there. It will shoot up again the minute I stop or slow down.

Mine shoots up much faster than that in traffic. But runs normal at highway speeds. I can pull in the yard temps shows 190f, open the gate get back on bike and it has reached 220 or so. I don't worry about it anymore unless it pukes over. No way would I ride in city traffic in the heat of summer if at all possible to avoid. Dunno for sure about water wetter but IMO prolly a total waste of money.

Good Luck

It happened only last week. I was using 6th gear. The overall system is fine and the fin is not clogged.

I do not suffer the overheating symptoms, only annoying hot.

By the way, will it be a good idea to change to OEM Honda coolant and a bit of Water Wetter. On the radiator cap, is there any different between the Euro Spec and the US spec or even the Japan Spec especially at what temp it should open, etc.

I think the real problem is that most vehicles don't have a digital temp guage and let you know exactly what their other engines are running. Mine runs hot in city stoplight traffic, and it's new. 240 is not all that hot anyway, my Jeep runs 215-220 on the open road. The manual says you have a problem if it gets over 250 and stays there. If I'm at a stoplight and it gets up to 240 or so I usually kill the engine until the light turns green, then I blast off and take advantage of all that cool ram air blastin into the ram air into a hot engine... Sweet...

Mine does not run hot on the highway, except for one day it got up to 210-215 when I was running 65 MPH down the highway. I was concerned until I realized I had a 35 MPH tailwind.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Will the tarmac temp can effect the thermostat reading ?

What happened is that I went for a 125 mile ride yesterday. The Bird temp range from 208 F(98 C) to 233 F(112 C) with speed ranging from 70 mph to 90 mph and sometime reached 120 mph. The temp still the same and the fan is working non stop. It was a very hot day. Suddenlly it started to rain and the atmosphere is much cooler so does the tarmac. During the rain the Bird temp range from 185 F(85 C) to 194 F(90 C) at the same speed.

My questions are ?

1) Do I still have a problem, if it is true tarmac temp effect the Bird temp

2) Will it effect the battery and the fan motor as it was working non stop.

Super Flush!

For all those that are getting high readings, the first thing I would recomend is running some Prestone Super Flush through the system.

After a couple of years, radiator fluid reactes with the metal in your motor and builds up "Scaling". I believe Prestone recomends running it for 15 minutes with the treatment, then draining, I ussually run it for an hour or so, then drain it.

If that doesn't help, radiator cap.

Additionally if you are running more than 60% radiator fluid, that will also give negative affects. 50/50 is optimal.

My questions are ?

1) Do I still have a problem, if it is true tarmac temp effect the Bird temp

2) Will it effect the battery and the fan motor as it was working non stop.

And to answer...

Yes and Yes!

with a temperature of 26c, at speed of 110-140 km/hre, 82-83c on the bike.

When stopping/at slow speed, will reach 100c and fan would kick in but as long as I'm moving, it would be around 94c. once on the Hwy at speed above 80 km/hre, temp goes down to 81-83c.

• 1 month later...

I have found out that the temp problem is due to not enough coolant in the radiator. After adding the coolant in the radiator, my temp problem has gone. The temp reading is almost the same as Pacman reading.

Anybody knows how the coolant in the radiator can reduce by itself. I have checked that there is no leakage whatsoever.

How can you tell if your fan IS running at 70 MPH?????

Can't hear it, can't feel it since air is already rushing through. :???:

From my GM training I know the fan will shut off at a certain road speed (don't remember exactly, been awhile) since it will just impede the air coming in.

Don't know if the XX does this.

If my fan is on at a stop and I take off, as soon as I'm moving I can't tell if it's still on or not.

We've covered this before but the digital temp. readout probably gets more owners worried than a gauge.

My gauge doesn't go up more then half way, even sitting in traffic with the fan on. Is it running at the same temps as the FI birds just not READING that high?

With the switch to FI the oil cooler got moved to a less ideal location, maybe that is the problem.

You guys with the 99's if you're sitting in traffic where is the gauge? more then half way?

What I'm trying to figure out is the FI the problem with hot running or the digital gauge the problem.

:???: :???:

My '99 with the analog gauge generally runs at the bottom third of the gauge in all ambient temperature conditions experienced here in FL, unless I'm stopped in traffic. Then it runs at the upper third of the gauge, and the fan kicks in and the temperature stabilizes, and when I start moving again and flow some air through the radiator, the temperature comes right back down again. As long as the fan is able to manage the excess heat when stopped in traffic, I don't worry about it.

Hmmmm........... Makes me wonder if all you guys with the digital readout should install an inline resistor from the sending unit to make it read lower.

A cooling system isn't overheated till the coolant boils and flows out the reservoir.

My '99 with the analog gauge generally runs at the bottom third of the gauge in all ambient temperature conditions experienced here in FL, unless I'm stopped in traffic. Then it runs at the upper third of the gauge, and the fan kicks in and the temperature stabilizes, and when I start moving again and flow some air through the radiator, the temperature comes right back down again. As long as the fan is able to manage the excess heat when stopped in traffic, I don't worry about it.

Same here in Colorado...

My 99s' temp needle stays in the bottom 1/3 of the guage. Sitting in traffic it will climb to the upper 1/3 but NEVER has it boiled over, even fighting my way through the traffic at Talladega Superspeedway before a race. The fan ran most of the time but would occasionally shut off even though the needle stayed in the upper 1/3 of the gauge.

Some friends of mine with Busas :shock: (I know I know, friends don't let their friends ride Busas) installed a manual override switch to their fans so they can turn it on BEFORE the get stuck in traffic. They say it seems to help to catch it before it gets too hot. But then again, they are riding Busa so what do they know :twisted: