CBR1100XX.org Forum

251 degrees?

troypennock

Two things,radiator is very small for 1140 engine.

Second thing,there is no doubt in my mind that radiator fan was designed on Monday after heavy-drinking-sake-weekend . The moron placed it in the middle right against exhaust headers.Excuse me but where the hot air suppose to escape?The way it is the fan is useless.Some bikes have two fans ,one on each side and that is perfect solution,air can leave thru holes in side fairings.If bike has one fan it should be placed on either side right next to openings in the fairing so it actually works.Honda fucked up.

I have found out that the temp problem is due to not enough coolant in the radiator. After adding the coolant in the radiator, my temp problem has gone.

I added 50/50 to top up the reserve container after neglecting the coolant for over two years. My temp reading reached to 240F on the way out of Laguna Seca track the other week first time ever. Normally I wouldn't get over 220F sitting even in the LA traffic. I was alarmed by this thread and decided to give the radiator a good internal bath. I've got quite a bit black rubber residue came out (my guess is internally deteorating cooling system hoses). Flushed it with Prestone Super. Even with the flush fluid in it, I couldn't get the temperature over 220F despite of my efforts. Refilled with new 50/50 coolant with great care not leave any air in the system. So far so good but couldn't get a chance to sit in the traffic yet - not that I 'm looking forward. As a side note, my temp readings went up about 10-15F after BOS Ti ovals and Power Commander.

Anybody knows how the coolant in the radiator can reduce by itself. I have checked that there is no leakage whatsoever.

You've never heard of "angel's share"? Some single malt drinkers might know...

it's the reduction due to evaporation through the cask during the aging process. :cheers:

Ruhi