CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to tell if my Honda Blackbird has H I S S ?

merc85

Hi peeps, thankyou for having me, 

I've just picked up a Blackbird, 1999 9,600 mile on her, FSH 1 owner, 

I think the ECU is on the way out as now and again im getting code 25 with the Side stand down.

SO im looking for a ECU but don't know if my bike has HISS or not? It doesn't have HISS on the Ignition key surround just says HONDA

Thankyou in advance

2EE3CF4E-DC5D-4DF2-B3A9-69FC32D2B1D4.jpeg

Edited by merc85

Key symbol on the dash is HISS, yes.  As far as code 25, or knock sensor, it won't be the knock sensor. This is a not uncommon malady of the analog dash FI bikes. 

Possible causes of code 25:

1. ECU not strapped down

2. 2 large ECU multi pin connectors..... pins not 100% clean

3. 2 large ECU multi pin connectors.....wires/pins damaged.  maybe due to cause 1.

4. "Loom fix"   There is a connector buried in the loom under tape (LHS near battery) that corrodes. Can be fixed. 

5. Bad ECU

6. Bad knock sensor or knock sensor wiring.  The knock sensor wire has a braided sheath that is grounded. Check the wire. Bad knock sensor, unlikely, but possible I guess. 

Question, does the bike run normally. ?  Power, fuel economy etc.?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, merc85 said:

Bike runs a little flat more so wen cold, wen the light is on she is a little on off the throttle below 2.5k we all know how smooth these bikes should be. 

In your first post you said the light comes on only with the side stand down, does it stay on after raising the stand and while riding?  Does it ever flicker, or is it totally on or off?

First thing I'd do is a wiggle the test with the bike running to see if the light comes on or flickers; wiggle the test connector, ECU connections, and knock sensor connector.  If the side stand switch is connected to the test connector I'll bet that's where the problem is.

Hi, The light comes on whilst riding, 

I pull over flip side stand down to read the code.

I disconnected the ecu last night to have a look at the pins and they are like brand new. Wiggled the ecu wires while bike was running and the light didn't come back on at the time the bike was ticking over.

I went to work this morning this and got 500yds up the road and the light is back on code 25

Edited by merc85

You didn't say if the ECU was strapped down. Anyway, make sure it is. 

Wiggling the wires at idle will not trigger code 25, she performs a self test on start up and revving, which for you = 500yds. 

Recommend #4 next, loom fix. 

Type in "loom fix" in the search function, top of page. With some hunting, you will find one with pics. This is where with some basic soldering skills, the junction block I mentioned before, is cut off and the appropriate wires soldered together.  I did this on my bike (as the block was corroded) to fix a code 25. It worked for 10 000 miles. Then the code returned. Out of options, I bought a used ECU. 

Some posters have reported running issues with a code 25. I had none. Just very annoying. That's why I asked. 

If anyone knows of an outfit that can, and has, repaired a blackbird ECU for code 25, that would be good info. 

Moderator;  I checked the forum called "important/useful" looking for loom fixes. There is one, but the pics don't work. Is there something you/we can do to make this useful again? Thanks 

3 hours ago, fizzy said:

...I checked the forum called "important/useful" looking for loom fixes. There is one, but the pics don't work. Is there something you/we can do to make this useful again? Thanks 

...or just sticky it here in the Garage? There have been a few cases this year that were suspect.

PORTERB123