CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yuasa battery

John01XX

From what I've read, the Li batteries don't like to start well when cold. Like less than 45 degrees. A couple guys on the Triumph forum said they just turn on the key (headlight on) and wait 30-60 seconds. Putting a little load on the battery helps to warm it a little making it put out more amps. Another said he switched to the 18Ah rated battery and never had issues after that. I doubt you would have any issues in Florida.

The advantage that I see promoted on them is

about 8-10 times more cycles (start-up) on a lithium verses AGM

No battery tender needed unless storing over a month with clock/alarm etc drawing voltage.

With battery disconnected it holds a full charge for over a year

way more Cold Cranking Amps at 385 CCA

green and recyclable - no acid or lead - waterproof

Kind of like LED verses Incondescant bulbs

I just ordered one and will report my findings.

Was almost the same price as the Yuasa 14S AGM battery ($8 more )

I got a 12 cell ballistic lithium battery and it cranks it faster than stock. I have started it up down to about 40f with no problems. It is also about 6-7lbs lighter than stock which is nice especially up high on the bike.

The advantage that I see promoted on them is

about 8-10 times more cycles (start-up) on a lithium verses AGM

No battery tender needed unless storing over a month with clock/alarm etc drawing voltage.

With battery disconnected it holds a full charge for over a year

way more Cold Cranking Amps at 385 CCA

green and recyclable - no acid or lead - waterproof

Kind of like LED verses Incondescant bulbs

I just ordered one and will report my findings.

Was almost the same price as the Yuasa 14S AGM battery ($8 more )

What did you get? And let us know I need a new battery and was thinking Li this time. Have had bad luck with the last two yuasa's I bought

We have Ballistics we got from a closed dealer,they had to be at least 6 months old we we got them.A few months later I checked all of them (about 10 batteries) and all were close to fully charged.I charged the ones that needed it 6 months later (ya ,even on sale they're not moving) and most had hardly dropped.Shorai on the other hand did not hold a charge nearly as well,some not at all,yet I sold many and only mine (racing-not good for charging) and one customer we believe may have reverse charged it failed.

I do FULLY believe that a lithium charger is the only way to recharge one.

Just 8 cell and 4 cell,no 12's.Can't remember the price and I'll be back on Monday.I think the 8 cell would work,as a smaller than required Shorai worked for me for awhile just fine,but I still have doubts about getting one. (May have to test it next year before I buy,shhh).

Just installed my new Lithium battery. Wow does it spin the engine fast!

Now to see how well it holds up long term?

Yes...... yes.... yes indeed.

I fear it's time once again to change my battery.... For some reason Batteries don't last very long anymore.

The one I have in the XX now is Dieing. It has to be on the charger or it won't hold a cranking charge past a week.

I've been reading every article and forum I can find about these Li batteries.... some is great... but a lot is... Just OK to downright Bad. Like Catch your bike on Fire Bad.

But one thing is for sure..... They are Pricey!

I look forward to your future comments about your battery.

• 2 months later...

Well thanks John01XX for leading me in the direction of BatteryStuff..... I think.

I have spent quite a lot of time researching batteries and their specifications, which is not an easy task truthfully, and yet I never ran into that site until you posted it.

So I just hit the purchase button.... we will see how long it takes to get here.

Well thanks John01XX for leading me in the direction of BatteryStuff..... I think.

I have spent quite a lot of time researching batteries and their specifications, which is not an easy task truthfully, and yet I never ran into that site until you posted it.

So I just hit the purchase button.... we will see how long it takes to get here.

Mine went out on Monday from a Saturday order and was delivered via Priority Mail in 2 days.

I got the box on my porch and when I picked it up I thought they had mailed me an empty box!

It came with a plastic clip on bottom piece to make the battery tall enough to fit in the Bird!

So far so good. No more tender and it sure spins the engine fast on start up.

Mine went out on Monday from a Saturday order and was delivered via Priority Mail in 2 days.

I got the box on my porch and when I picked it up I thought they had mailed me an empty box!

It came with a plastic clip on bottom piece to make the battery tall enough to fit in the Bird!

So far so good. No more tender and it sure spins the engine fast on start up.

Yep 2 days shipping... very Nice.

And yes.. when I picked up the box with 2 Lithium batteries in it... it felt empty... compared to the seperate box with the YTX14AHL Lead acid AGM battery in it.

However the new Lithium was Low on a charge... so I put it on the charger... and will get to install it this weekend.... I hope.

Well... we are not off to a good start with the LFX Scorpion battery... How about it's defective right out of the box.

I was hopeing to install it this weekend... so maybe I could start riding the Bird again... and NO. Not going to happen.

The Battery measures 9.8V,

I tried Charging it... same thing.. 9.8V... which tells me it's got a bad cell, and now I have to play the Exchange Game with Batterystuff.

I'll let you know how that goes...