CBR1100XX.org Forum

Audio hookups...help?

PAOW

Hello...

Just wondering if anyone knows how I can hook up my radar, cell phone, and cd player...all at the same time...to my helmet headset...a Platinum 900 from Collett???

How is everyone hooking up multiple devices?

Thanks!!!

It is going to be expensive. I aquired a J&M system for the three items you mentioned and just installed it yesterday. I decided that the J&M instructions are worthless. Got the MP3 player going fine and it sounds real good but havent been able to figure out why the cell phone does not work or the radar detector either. It is suppose to turn the MP3 down low when the cell rings in but it doesn't. Plus you have to have a cell phone with auto answer, which I do but it answers but no connection to the headset and the mp3 keeps on playing. Will be calling J&M tomarrow for help. Think their system is about $400.00 and the Autocom is close to the same cost.

Will be posting my results when I get it straightened out.

PAOW-

The Autocom Pro-M1 system works as advertised to perform the job you're looking for. Unfortunately, it's expensive, and as Swampy intimates, the connectors are for shit.

I had the full system on my last bike, it did everything asked of it....but I just sold it. I just got sick and tired of dicking with all of the cables and twiddling with all of the controls all the time. I would invariably ride off with something unplugged or shut down, and I've have to stop and reset/replug.

I sold the system and have very few things on the Bird to deal with now. Ask yourself if you really need all that crap. :wink:

I currently have the Autocom system which I found is good quality, but expensive. Depending upon your cost requirements some of the others that I have seen are:

http://www.tecstar.co.uk/comms/starcom1.htm

http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/baehr/baehr.htm

http://www.baehr.net/

http://www.bobscb.com/helmet_headsets/moto...dset_compat.htm

And here is the US Autocom website.

http://www.autocomamerica.com/index.asp

I like the design of the StarCom unit, it seems to have better options for portability.

Good Luck...

I think there is somthing at radio shack that does what you need, i beleive aerostich sell the same product for more. I think its called the

booteroo or something !!! ,

But i bet since the cell phone and audio input use the same input on the collet you may be out of luck, as i doubt it would send the voice back

to your sell phone ...

The airrider setup looks pretty cool...but expensive!

I did find a spliter at Radio Shack...seems to work ok when I use it with the radar dector and the cd player...not with the cell phone.

I might look into a way to make the radar dector loud on its own...think I saw a post about that somewhere here...and then just worry about one audio connection at a time on the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Another option for the radar detector...I didn't want to run an audio line from it to my splitter or helmet so I created a little circuit that is basically a string of lights that light up as the volume increases. I then velcro'd it to the top edge of the windshield. It cost about $30 to make and thats cause I screwed it up a couple times :)

Trying to find the article I used to make it...

No, unfortunately I didn't but I took it to a friend who makes little gadgets like this and he is going to try to make it a little nicer and draw up a schematic for me and list the radio shack (or other parts) needed. He doesn't have much of a life so I hope it will be quick...but who knows.

Anyone interested send me a PM and if I can get any useful info together I'll contact you.

I've got a new setup in the works. Its better looking, cheaper, and easier to set up and is adjustable to the input level. My previous attempt didn't work as well for anything but the Solo2 because you couldn't adjust the input sensitivity. I "hope" this one will be viable for any radar detector with a headphone jack.

Has anyone set up a radio or some other transmitter to broadcast their audio to their helmet? I was pondering a unit that had multiple inputs that get blended together and used the FM band to broadcast the data then a mini receiver in each helmet.

Also, to answer the original question...

Look up passive(at least I prefer passive) audio mixer.

http://www.discovercircuits.com/A/au-mixer.htm

I'm not into electronics so I don't know if this is any good or what but its a crash helmet with integrated bluetooth. Quoted the blurb from one of the UK's magazines

Future hits helmets

Italian lid firm Vemar has just unveiled a new helmet with a smart new high-tech twist: integrated Bluetooth technology. The new Vemar VSX Interactive is a full face composite lid, with built-in speakers and microphone, plus a digital wireless communication link, using the increasingly popular Bluetooth protocol. This is the same technology used on most new mobile phones, and allows full handsfree wireless integration of your Bluetooth phone and the Vemar lid. Ideal for couriers, or people on the move, the helmet can be set up so your phone automatically answers when it rings, and connects straight to the helmet speakers and microphone.

The new system also includes an intercom function, so if your pillion also has an Interactive lid, you can chat away as you ride along. An updated system with multi-user channel is being developed, so you’ll be able to talk to your Bluetooth-equipped mates on a rideout.

The Bluetooth system uses a rechargeable battery pack which lasts for ten hours on standby, and is operated by one button on the back of the helmet.

The helmet itself is ACU gold approved, and offers a quick-release visor, removable lining and a seatbelt buckle. It is a mid-priced helmet though, and the quality isn’t up to the standards of more pricey brands.

The Bluetooth system does add to the price though: the VSX Interactive costs £349 including a charger. More details from Vemar importer Motogear on 01536 526460 or check www.vemarhelmets.it  

The Vemar VSX Interactive helmet  

The Blootooth system works with just one button for programming and operation  

The charger pugs into a jack inside the lid  

future%20helmet%201_thumb.jpg

future_helmet_button_thumb.jpg

Haven't got a clue what colour schemes it comes in the one pictured looks shit.