CBR1100XX.org Forum

Skipping breakfast can be bad

Skipping breakfast can damage your immune response - study

Skipping meals through intermittent or prolonged fasting periods cause certain white blood cells to go dormant.

Those skipped meals may do more damage to your bodily functions than previously thought. Researchers have uncovered that diets that involve fasting - prolonged periods without eating or drinking - could be tied to developing cardiovascular diseases and even some cancers.

According to a recently published study, skipping breakfast can actually cause more harm than you'd think. This peer-reviewed study was authored by researchers and medical professionals in cardiovascular health at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital, in collaboration with a team from Harvard Medical School. Researchers said that after carrying their study out on mice, they are able to see how skipping meals triggers responses in the brain.

Their findings show that skipping meals triggers responses in the immune cells of the brain. 

Rest of the story here

7 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Skipping breakfast can damage your immune response - study

Skipping meals through intermittent or prolonged fasting periods cause certain white blood cells to go dormant.

Those skipped meals may do more damage to your bodily functions than previously thought. Researchers have uncovered that diets that involve fasting - prolonged periods without eating or drinking - could be tied to developing cardiovascular diseases and even some cancers.

According to a recently published study, skipping breakfast can actually cause more harm than you'd think. This peer-reviewed study was authored by researchers and medical professionals in cardiovascular health at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital, in collaboration with a team from Harvard Medical School. Researchers said that after carrying their study out on mice, they are able to see how skipping meals triggers responses in the brain.

Their findings show that skipping meals triggers responses in the immune cells of the brain. 

Rest of the story here

LOL - you can't win no matter what.  There always seems to be so much contradiction.  One day something is good and the next day it is not.  I am of the mind eat WTF you want in moderation on a regular basis while at least doing minimal exercise and keeping your weight under control.

• Like 1

Homeostasis is fragile.  I'm still just uninterested in food in the morning, and sure as fuck not the normal cake and grease breakfast. Nothing sounds appetizing right now.

A lot of contradiction out there for sure.  I did hear about a human study of prolonged fasting that does show reduced white blood cell levels during, but after the fast was over the white blood cell was higher that prior to the fast.  I believe a lot of the trials on rodents don't translate to humans, so unless tested on humans I would take everything with a grain of salt.

24 minutes ago, 02XXCA said:

I believe a lot of the trials on rodents don't translate to humans

Well, some humans more than others, LOL.  But you make a great point, I prefer human trials for real decisions, and animal trials as a hint or possible suggestion.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't eat breakfast. Nothing other than cappuccino in first 2-3 hrs after getting up. Not by design, I just don't feel like eating in the morning, and forget heavy foods.

When I eventually eat something it is dairy, like yogurt and farmer cheese with berries. And flakes with fake milk. I just follow my natural eating clock. I don't believe one eating schedule fits all.

My mother is the same. Nothing in the morning. When I visit her nobody eats anything in the morning. 😆 Just coffee. Lol. She is 85 years old, and healthy person.

I don't eat traditional breakfast unless I travel or go skiing for entire day. You burn lottsa energy on the mountain, heavy workout and, typically, cold temps. 

On the other hand my father would always eat breakfast first thing in the morning. Eggs, meat, butter, etc. Generally his diet was not what we now considered healthy, but no processed foods. He liked fatty meats, etc. It has most likely contributed to his death- heart failure. He was 82 when he died. Not bad for his generation.

At one point I tried to force myself to eat proper breakfast early in the morning. It did not work. I would go hungry 2-3 hrs later, and start my routine with yogurt, etc. So that was like one additional meal per day on the top of what I would usually eat. Started to gain weight of course.

• Upvote 1

Withholding food from a rat is going to trigger a different response than a human that chooses to not eat.  Even if we kept it to a human trial, I'm sure you'd see different responses between the 'forced' and 'chosen' groups, especially brain responses.