CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI programmers and catalytic converters--to delete or not to delete?

SwampNut

Oh, you might be shocked at how much I've cleaned the KTM.  Right now it's just barely dirty, but in my defense, I was on dirt yesterday.

It has approached Dave Clean(tm) at least twice.

Pipe arrives soon, I guess I really need to decide on a programmer.

image.png

In piggy back world pc5 is as good as it gets. Back in pre throttle by wire, traction control, wheelie control, slide control, adoptive engine braking, and whatever rider aids I've missed to mention, it was all what was needed to tune engine even after substantial changes.

You can download map from Dynojet official side, those 390 engines can't be that different between models. Maybe one of maps will work well, or, if really anal, just buy Auto Tune set up for Power Commander 5.

You can tune to desired AFR in fuel tables.

It will be fun. 

I think, although not sure, Auto Tune from Dynojet, is not model (bike) specific, so you could easily sell on ebay once the map is good, and bike runs the way you want.

You might have to weld on the bung in front header for wideband oxygen sensor.

You'll also need oxygen sensor eliminator. 

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Oh, you might be shocked at how much I've cleaned the KTM.  Right now it's just barely dirty, but in my defense, I was on dirt yesterday.

It has approached Dave Clean(tm) at least twice.

Weren't you the guy that washed his Jeep once per year and that was only because you got a free car wash?  And the other time it needed washed you just drove it into a lake or something?    It's good to see you have found your way.  😀

Edited by blackhawkxx
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

Weren't you the guy that washed his Jeep once per year and that was only because you got a free car wash?  And the other time it needed washed you just drove it into a lake or something?    It's good to see you have found your way.  😀

Yes, though I kept the interior clean if I had the doors on.  The Jeep was on dirt at least three times a month, not worth any effort.  The KTM, perhaps sadly, sees dirt a lot less often.  Also, far less work to clean.  And it's garaged.  And I won't ride in rain or mud.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CALCXX said:

Did you ever get to record a vid with audio ?

It's worthless.  A phone microphone tries to level the sound, and I haven't seen a way to tweak it like you can manually tweak the cameras.  They also don't capture the low frequencies so well.  I have a $120 pro microphone for work, but it's super-directional and only "hears" in a tiny bubble.  I can record phone prompts while you talk to me, and it won't hear you.  I can try it, but it's unlikely to give you a live feeling.  I did measure sound level before and after, but again, I don't think it fully captured the increased rumble.

Phone recordings of engines always capture or amplify the ticky sounds.  I shot a video of my Jeep from the side with the hood closed and it still sounded like it had loose valves or something.  With the phone behind the exhaust outlet you'll get some idea of what it sounds like.  If you have before/after shots then you get a better idea of the change, but it still won't be a good representation of what it truly sounds like.

Yeah, I did make one, and it's useless.  I knew that, since I'd listened to a few when I was shopping, and they were useless.  Everyone who I can borrow pro recording gear from has the same "bubble" microphones for voice.  What I didn't think of is trying the room calibration microphone that came with the family room sound system.  It tuned the bass, so I assume it can hear it.

De-cat pipe shows out for delivery.  One question...anything I should apply to the O2 sensor?  Loctite, anti-seize...or just dry?

Oh, and with 100-ish miles after the change, it's definitely running leaner.  Oscar, I think you had complained of an off-idle lean spot when you rode it?  Something I never felt, but now it's there and obvious.  But the low RPM pull in traffic is also obviously improved.  Just that middle-throttle, lower RPM pull to leave a light or stop sign.  It's pleasant.  I have high hopes that the programmer will add more, which is exactly what I'd hoped for.