CBR1100XX.org Forum

C#

XXitanium

What's the oldest any of you decided to learn how to program?

I'm logged on to a site called www.codecademy.com - It's making me feel dumber than usual.

if ( coffee.IsEmpty())
{
    coffee.Refill();
}
else
{
    coffee.Drink();
}

About 20 years ago I decided to ask a programmer at work exactly what she did. I was genuinely interested and also, she was a pretty hot Japanese chick so that's why I chose her. I believe she was developing something in Visual Basic? Could have been something else. I watched for about five minutes...and in that five minutes I can attest that my lifetime curiosity quota in programming had been completely fulfilled. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I'm logged on to a site called www.codecademy.com - It's making me feel dumber than usual.

if ( coffee.IsEmpty())
{
    coffee.Refill();
}
else
{
    coffee.Drink();
}

Exactly what type of programming?

14 hours ago, XXitanium said:

if ( coffee.IsEmpty())
{
    coffee.Refill();
}
else
{
    coffee.Drink();
}

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Biometrix said:

About 20 years ago I decided to ask a programmer at work exactly what she did. I was genuinely interested and also, she was a pretty hot Japanese chick so that's why I chose her. I believe she was developing something in Visual Basic? Could have been something else. I watched for about five minutes...and in that five minutes I can attest that my lifetime curiosity quota in programming had been completely fulfilled. 

You were looking at the wong ting.

• Upvote 1

I don't know C at all.  I can do Bash scripts ok, and very limited Python.  I started programming in 1980 on a Heathkit H8 with an H19 terminal, and then a Vax via a printing terminal and 110 baud acoustic MODEM.  Just BASIC on one, and Pascal and COBOL on the other.  I was never good at COBOL.  Then I learned the scripting language on a Tandem Non-Stop but can't remember it.  Then RPG on System/36.

The only modern "language" I know is Asterisk, the mostly linear language used to process phone calls and system options.

[scottsdale#main]
include => scottsdale#extensions
include => inv_tout

exten => s,1,Answer()
    same => n(start),Wait(0.5)
    same => n,BackGround(scottsdale/${prefix}bus-off-if-know)
    same => n,BackGround(scottsdale/${prefix}appt-0&scottsdale/s-sp-rep-5)
;    same => n(menu),BackGround(scottsdale/${prefix}account-3)
    same => n(menu),BackGround(scottsdale/${prefix}admin-4&scottsdale/${prefix}dir-6)
    same => n,BackGround(scottsdale/${prefix}re-star)
    same => n,WaitExten(2)
    same => n,Set(i=${IF($[${EXISTS(${i})}]?${INC(i)}:1)}) ;if i exist incremented it otherwise set to 1 ;cli will show a NOTICE one first use which is safe to ignore
    same => n,GotoIf($[${i} < 3]?menu:t,1)
    same => n,Hangup()

exten => 3,1,Goto(scottsdale#account,s,1) ;ACCOUNT
exten => 4,1,Goto(scottsdale#admin,s,1) ;ADMIN
;WARNING- when setting multiple vars including one set from a var containing external data be careful.
; Changed so CLID name to be set last because it might be formatted in a way that is interpreted as multiple items and gets pushed into prefix..
; here is an example from the CLI where a problem occurred:
;[2016-02-25 19:13:20]     -- Executing [5@scottsdale#main:1] Set("SIP/INITIATEL-1-00006f8a", "ARRAY(CALLERID(name),prefix)=SPAN-OSORTO,JORGE,s-") in new stack
; the above caused this problem:
;[2016-02-25 19:13:20] WARNING[10816][C-00005519]: file.c:701 ast_openstream_full: File scottsdale/JORGEaccount-3 does not exist in any format
exten => 5,1,Set(ARRAY(prefix,CALLERID(name))=s-,"SPAN-${CALLERID(name)}"); SPANISH
    same => n,Goto(s,menu)
exten => 6,1,GoSub(subNameDirectory,s,1) ;DIRECTORY
exten => *,1,Goto(s,menu)
exten => #,1,Goto(s,menu)
exten => 0,1,Goto(scottsdale#extensions,7370,1) ;OPERATOR

Back in the eighties, about 1988,  I had the opportunity to run Catia on an IBM RS6000 system. The OS was AIX, the IBM version of Linux or Unix?

The printer driver interface we had was primordial. We had to type in a long string of code and flags each time we wanted a print. 

I worked second shift. I had done some small script files. I worked second shift. One night I decided to convert the lump of code into a small script file, kinda DOS-ish I called it PlotPal. I thought putting "Pal" in the name would make it approachable and easy to remember. This was before PayPal, but there was some other program that already used that.

It took me a few hours. I showed it to my boss the next afternoon. He liked it and and added some extra bits of code. Our small CAD department used it and saved time and frustration from mis-typing the lump of code.