CBR1100XX.org Forum

02' stalls after refueling

XXodus

Looking for suggestions... Pardon the long post but I'm trying to fully describe the situations. The bike currently has approximately 10,600 miles. I had some mods and a tune up made to the bike back in november at around 9,600. Since then I have put almost 1,000 miles on the bike... Probably 700 of those miles since february. The mods include a pc 3, anckerpovic slipons, K&N filter and irridium plugs. Two out of the last four times I have refueled the bike I have had issues stalling.

the conditions (both times)

Weather condition both days... hotter than hell.

Just refueled - over flowed just enough for some gase to hit the over flow hose.

First time it dies is within a few miles of the gas station

FI, temp and oil idiot lights show everything is fine

First time it occured I took on a full tank of gas (98 octaine) The second time I took on a half tank of fuel. Both times within two miles of the gas station the bike stalls. No sputter, no backfiring, just dies. The absolute first time it happened I heard a single pop before it die. Let the bike rest a while and it will restart. When trying to start the bike in this condition white smoke comes out the exhaust. The bike will then run for a few miles and then die again with no warning Each time between stall the distance shrinks making the 50 mile ride home take a little time. Once home if I let the bike alone for a day or so it starts up fine and you'd never know there was a problem.

any idea??? Thanks

Hmm, might have a vent problem with your gas tank.. once you fill her all the way up she don't have much air in there. With your vent blocked not letting air in to replace the fuel being sent to the engine you cause a vaccum and this stops flow of fuel...

Check you gas cap and make sure no dirt or crude is blocking anything.

I'd concur. It certainly sounds like you're getting some kind of fuel starvation due to tank vacuum / incorrect venting.

White smoke indicates coolant being burnt, which seems unlikely given the symptoms you described. I'd probably treat it as a red herring unless it's extremely pronounced and you're sure it's 'white' smoke.

-Pace

I agree. Sounds like the fuel tank air vent tube is pinched or blocked. Try this: Fill the tank as full as possible, and go ride. If the vent is the problem, the stalling anomaly should appear rather soon (the less air space in the tank to begin with, the sooner you'll start pulling a vacuum). When it does, park the bike and open the filler cap SLOWLY, with an ear as close as possible to the filler cap. If you hear a sound like air being sucked into the tank, the vent line is the problem. Only, now you have the additional problem of getting back home and siphoning the fuel out of the tank so you can raise it up and unkink the vent tube.

Because I'm a mechanical clutz, I have two questions: If the bike restarts after some random period of time can I assume that that means the gas cap is not air tight? Hence the reason the problem disapears after a day or so with 30 to 50 mile on the tank of gas? Question two assuming the vent line is pinched somewhere, which fairing would I pull to get a look at the vent hose?

I need to switch to a useful career... computers just doesn't seem to be cutting the muster when the bike breaks down.

Both times you mention "Hot as Hell."

Hot restarts (after fueling) are common for vapor lock.

I like the vent tube suggestion too.

98 Octane? Are you sure? Super duper is 91/93. Races gas is 100/110.

Any HIGH test fuel above 93 is harder to burn. Its less Volitile then 87 Octane. This means its harder to ignite at higher temps.

That's why turbo guys go for high octane to have a more controlled burn of the fuel in the combustion chambers. Avoids knock and pinging (detonation) higher flash point I believe.

(Time for a real expert to chime in here.)

-Suf Daddy

If the vent hose is kinked or there is some significant obstruction in that pathway

.....what Joe said.

You said you put on 1k miles on your bird since the tune-up so I'd rule out a "misplaced" vacum line. However, it sounds like one of the lines is kinked or pinched.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got good news, bad new and even worse news. After the bike acted up a third time I took the board members adivise and poped the gas tank lid after it stalled... to no avial, so the good news is it's not a vacuum problem. The bad news is that the mechanic it took the bike to found oil in the coolant reserve tank. The worse news is that the mechanic hasn't had the time to fully diagnose the problem in just under a week... They're killing my ride time. But since it looks like I might have a head gasket issues I want them to take their time and get it right the first time. Thank god for the 5 year extended Honda warrenty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

And the winner is... I had a bad power commander. I had originally taken the bike back to the dealer to look at, but they wanted politely, nothing to do with it after seeing all the work fast lane performed in November. The piece of shit dealer never actually admitted that they didn't want to touch it, but they never tested under conditions that would make it act up (stall). The last time the bike stalled, it was blowing flames out the exhaust when I tried to restart it. From that point on the bike sounded and ran like shit for 25 miles until I got to fast lane cycles.

The reason computer guys should touch mechanical things??? It was suggested that I disconnect the pcIII next time the bike stalls. Me not being a mechanic I disconnected it from the battery. Needless to say this proved absolutely nothing, but I had no idea.

Fast lance had it diagnosed in 15 minutes. Now I just have to waite on a new PCIII, but at least I can ride it.

You still didn't answer my question...

What color is your radiator fliud now?

... I don't give a fuck what some mechanic said (most bike shop mechanics are morons!), I want you to look at it and tell me what color it is!

If it has a milky color to it, you have got major problems! Does your bike run hot?

I'm just trying to help you here, and yes I double check everything anybody does for me myself.

The only thing the guys at loudoun motorsports did for me was flush the radiator. It appears as though everything is OK and the Fastlane tech was a slob... maybe using one rag to clean all surfaces.

The stalling after refueling was a red herring. The real corrolation was that the engine was shut off for a short period of time before returning to riding.

Ooopps... I accidentally edited my last post, instead of quoting it... :lol:

So here is what I meant to say again...

You still didn't answer my question...

What color is your radiator fliud now?

... I don't give a fuck what some mechanic said (most bike shop mechanics are morons!), I want you to look at it and tell me what color it is!

If it has a milky color to it, you have got major problems! Does your bike run hot?

I'm just trying to help you here, and yes I double check everything anybody does for me myself.

Hey XX....

I bought 4 bikes from Greg (Owner) of Loudoun. He is a really good guy. Is Mike still his head mechanic ?

Could this possibly be why someone gassed and burnt the place down 4 years ago....They did determin it was arson ! :???:

ELVXX, as soon as I get the bike back from fastlane (hopefully tomorrow)I will check the coolant myself. But the bike never did overheat. Until wednesday ran perfect excpet the stalling, so I think the "sludge" really is a just sloppy mechanic. As soon as Rick at fastlane pulled the plug on the power commander the bike ran/runs like a champ again. Rick and his shop have really impressed me. I really didn't think I'd bee happy with there customer service on repairs but his staff has proved me wrong.

DBLXX, I have been using loudoun motorsports for repairs for years and in fact I liked them enough to buy the bird from Eddie... the sales guy that has worked there for ever. I I knew they did modifications to bikes, I would of had them do all the work last november. Mike is still the service manager and I like him alot, but I'm not real happy with with the service writter. He tells me they can't repeat the stalling issue and don't have time to coutinue riding the bike after two test rides. My question to the service writer (Ben) is was it a hot nasty humid day when they performed the test ride? his response is no and begins to cop an attitude.

I was at fastlane (it's right down the street from my office) today talking with the mechanic when I noticed they had two birds for service, two two pulled in while I was talking to them and they're trying to sell one on their bulletin board. It was almost what I imagine nexxt would be like.

so I think the "sludge" really is a just sloppy mechanic.  

I was at fastlane (it's right down the street from my office) today talking  with the mechanic when I noticed they had two birds for service, two two pulled in while I was talking to them and they're trying to sell one on their bulletin board.  It was almost what I imagine nexxt would be like.

Hmmm.. sludge ha... now it really sounds like someone was trying to pull a fast one on you, because if you have oil in your coolant it will mix and make it look like chocolate Milk... not sludge. If they showed you a rag or cup of unmixxed oil and radiator fluid, I can assure you it didn't come from your radiator, because your water pump acts like a blender. :wink:

Wow... three Birds all getting service work at the same place at the same time, that's impressive.