CBR1100XX.org Forum

Strapping the bird down

K-TOOL

For the first time ever the bike will be on a trailer. Headed up to North Carolina and Tennessee. Got a free ride on a trailer so I thought I'd save my tires. Where is the best place to strap the front of the Bird down? The railings on the trailer are pretty low, possibly causing the straps to rub on the bike. Is it best to use the clip on's or the forks? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

There is a thing out called a "Cayon Dancer Bar Harness". It's a strap that goes across your upper tree and there are two loops on each end you stick your handle bars through. You hook your tie downs to this and it holds them away from your bodywork. I got mine from aerostich for $30.

One more thing. Someone here told me about when using the Canyon Dancer, to cut two pieces of PVC pipe to side over the hand grips to keep the rubber from wanting to pull off. I did this last year and it worked very well. Also, in the rear of the bike, you can hook a strap from the rear footpeg bracket.

One more thing. Someone here told me about when using the Canyon Dancer, to cut two pieces of PVC pipe to side over the hand grips to keep the rubber from wanting to pull off. I did this last year and it worked very well. Also, in the rear of the bike, you can hook a strap from the rear footpeg bracket.

Do you remember what ID pipe you used?

The problem with the "Canyon Dancer" is that is will break the pin that holds the switch housing (left and right) from turning on the bars. The force from the right tie down pulls the left switch housing toward the center of the triple clamp, likewise the left tie down does the same to the right switch housing. The parts are not repairable nor are they cheep!!!! Don't ask me how I know this. :cry: I use soft loops on the bars. :smokin:

Went almost 1600 miles with two XXs in the back of a pickup a couple weeks ago. No broken switch housings or Thottlemeisters. Grips looked a little goofy when the bikes first came off the truck but two minutes and a little twisting had them looking fine.

Your results will obviously vary, but the product worked great for me :)

If you want to fix your switch housings, take a small self tapping screw, about the same size as the peg. pre drill the housing, put in the screw, and cut the head of it off. I had to do this on my bird. Not from my Caynon Dancer, I bought my bike wrecked and it was broke. Cheap fix.

I posted about the PVC.

I use a piece of PVC on each grip and just loop the tiedown around it. No damage, secure, works for me.

Don't use a Canyon Dancer. I saw a Wing using one on a trailer. Grips were totally bunched up against the switch housings. (and those are some loong grips) I'm sure their pins were toast.