CBR1100XX.org Forum

Advise on Radar detector mounts

Steve

I hung my 8500 from the center of the windscreen using the suction cup mount. I took out the suction cups, and used some stainless allen head bolts. To keep it somewhat parallel to the windscreen, I had to bend it a bit. I think I bent it around a 3/8" drive socket extension to keep some space in there. It needs to be "U" shaped, to have room for the bolt/nut.

You also need to put a curve in it for the shape of the screen.

If I replace the windscreen, I would use the visor mount instead. I ordered one, after I already installed. I think it would work better.

Steve

Mirror Mount sees radars forwards and backwards.

Good up to 160+mph :grin:

Hugo can vouch for it too!

Saved our asses 8 times on that ride? Right Randy?

The day after I dropped from the ride, the first CHP I came across car got me. If it were not for that - suddendly attractive - side road, I would have got nailed :grin: .

Hugo

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum, nice to meet y'all.

Got a '99 Bird for about two weeks now, the first mod I installed was the Q4000 radar detector http://www.radar.co.nz

Here in Oz we're not allowed RD's so I installed mine hidden in the fairing under the headlight. It's velcoed to the HL, as it's too heavy for the fairing to hold over time.

Power comes via a relay, switch current from cooling fan (couldn't find any other spot with consistend voltage). RD switches off when bike gets hot, but that hardly happens when going fast :)

I get the alarm to a earpiece in the helmet via a cable (under seat, up the jacket ...) Wireless would have been more elegant...

Good to have a group like this around!

Phil