CBR1100XX.org Forum

GPS mount

pauls0311xx

Go to the top of the page and do a search on gps mount, this has been done over and over here on the board.

You'll get about 9 pages, only about 2 pages are really interesting :]

Jette hit me with those pics. I wasn't sure if I could go with that option because I didn't think I had enough room on the bar for that. Please post or send me some pics of yours mounted so I can see what the cockpit looks like with that mount. If it looks good to me, I'll go ahead and order the u-bolt mount and GPSCity brackets for mine too. Thanks!

matey I saw that picture and have been trying to find out what mount that was for the longest time. IS that the u-bolt mount from GPS City? What bolts are you using to connect that to your clutch reso? Did they come with? Do you still have a part number for your part because that looks like the way I want to do it, unless the entire u-bolt can fit on my bars, but it doesn't look like I have the room for that.

i started out with this mount from www.aerostich.com, do a search for 'RAM', it'll come up on the first page.

2646li.jpg

it was $40.

i took off the back half of the clamp that holds the clutch lever on the bar and replaced it with the ball piece, you won't use the u-bolt itself. you'll also need two M6x1.0 bolts that are 30MM long, i used stainless socket head bolts cuz they're so sexy. the ones pictured were picked outta my spare parts bin, but i've since replaced them with the stainless jobbies.

easy peasy, japanesey.

Pics and part numbers Steve?  I still haven't mounted mine yet and my trip to Myrtle Beach is less than a month away.

Choose the mount kit for your particular unit from this page:

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts_ram.html

This kit will come with the u-bolt mount ball.

Then, you will need the parts "T1" and "M" from this page:

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gallery/parts.html

You will use these two parts to mount to the stem hole.

I have mine setup with the ball pointing towards the tank, and there is just enough clearance. The well nut provides just a bit of "flex" to the setup, so I feel gives it additional vibration dampening.

You can use the spare u-bolt mount on another motorcycle, bicycle, etc.

Or, you could use it on the clutch perch, with some longer bolts & spacers.

Here is the Ram home page with tons of other mounting options for all your other needs:

http://www.ram-mount.com/dealers.htm

I will try to find or take a picture of mine later.

Steve

I took 1/2 of the garmin (GPS V) mount (auto) and used a little 3m 2 sided tape on the clutch cylinder cap. Drilled a couple of holes to provide access to the cap screws and routed the power cord down to the battery. Looks good when the unit's on (I use it on multiple vehicles and bikes) and so-so when off. Not worried about unit falling off, since the tape is secure.

Biggest issue was positioning it to clear the windshield on right turns. 1/4" clearance, at best. Had to turn the antenna down (swivels).

With the horizontal landscape view, it looks like it was made for the bike, and I had about $20 in it.

I have good pics, but I don't know how to post them.

Mike, what's the little red button on the left grip? ejection seat trigger?

Also, how do you all like having GPSs on the bike? Are they really that useful? I suppose they can tell you a more accurate speed, and tell you how to get somewhere, but they are expensive and bulky, and another thing to worry about getting stolen. Is there any other exciting feature that I missed? For somebody who mostly just commutes on the bike, with occasional weekend rides, would it really be that useful?

.. I suppose I could take it in the car too..

Of course secretly I really want one, but I need more reasons to push me into it...

CasterTroy: It's another ram mount ball. I just haven't hooked anything to it. I thought it would be good for the GPS but I find that it interferes with the windscreen, so it's not being used.

Tweety: The red button is a PTT for the CB I sometimes run in my tankbag. The GPS is quite useful for me, since I am directionally challenged and take my bike everywhere. It's wired into my autocom so it'll actually tell me when to turn. It unmounts quite easily and I just either lock it in my Givi, or put it in my jacket pocket or helmet and bring it with me.

Big Boy: You fuckin know it!!

:wink:

Hey Mike...

Great setup! I just upgraded to a streetpilot III from an eMap and really have not ridden with it much yet. Whats up w/ the sunshield? Is the display that weak in the sun? (is that just plexiglass heated in the oven?) I thought about connecting the GPS audio to my Autocom but the 2 aux inputs are already spoken for (radar and XM).

Terry :beer:

Yah, the sun was an issue in certain situations. Since it's colour, the sun bleeds out the display. Basically it's bend plexiglass, yah. I don't always run with it on though.

You can get a grounded splitter from autocom (about 12 bucks) to split your current inputs. Works for me!

You can get a grounded splitter from autocom (about 12 bucks) to split your current inputs.

Thanks! I'm ordering one this weekend......You can never have enough farkles!!! Now if I can just figure out the trailer hitch and electric reverse. :grin: