CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best Aftermarket Windscreen

KawRider

i have the zg st dark smoke and it gives great coverage and fit was excellent. got it at parts411.com

but you have to tell us more information to make an apples to apples comparison. like how tall you are. and what you want out of a different windscreen?

for example, a double bubble might look nicer, if more wind protection isn't necessarily what you are looking for.fc2e65da.jpg

fc2e65d8.jpg.orig.jpg

i have the zg st dark smoke and it gives great coverage and fit was excellent. got it at parts411.com

but you have to tell us more information to make an apples to apples comparison. like how tall you are. and what you want out of a different windscreen?

for example, a double bubble might look nicer, if more wind protection isn't necessarily what you are looking for.

Im 5 Ft 9... I want a slightly taller screen for a bit more wind protection.

Keep the info coming.

• 1 month later...

Here you go KawRider. I'm sure Ronnie will sell you his........

BTW Ronnie, I could see you saying that the stock looks better, fits better or gives you less noise/turbulence....there are many opinions,

but to say that the stock gives you better wind protection is just silly.... :roll: .....

Cheers,

I've got a Givi and a '99 stock screen I switch out depending on the weather. With a 3" height difference between the two, there's no doubt in my mind the Givi blocks more wind, though it does cause more wind buffeting and noise for me at 6'3".

I have yet to see another aftermarket screen that matches the Givi for build quality.

Here you go KawRider. I'm sure Ronnie will sell you his........

BTW Ronnie, I could see you saying that the stock looks better, fits better or gives you less noise/turbulence....there are many opinions,

but to say that the stock gives you better wind protection is just silly.... :roll: .....

Cheers,

the key to my statement was..it gives me better wind protection

and like you said there are many opinions

Except that the amount of air blocked or diverted by a larger surface is greater than the smaller one is a fact not an "opinion"......

Remove the stock screen completly, should be better yet :roll:

I'm sure you felt "cleaner" air going by you with the stock screen, since the air probably hit you in mid chest ( I don't know how tall you are), but the faster you go the more your neck muscles have to work.

And it's much easier with the larger screen - GIVI works great here. But because the air hits most people in the "face", the turbulence creates more noise.....

I've got the Zero Gravity Double Bubble. I like it. I don't cruise much. Most of my time is spent close to or into triple digit speeds. The Bubble creates a nice calm pocket for me when i'm tucked, and is otherwise serviceable up to about 80mph. I'm 5'8 1/2". Plus, I think the DB looks better than the tall windscreens.

The pic below is old...

• 2 weeks later...
I put a GiVi on my XX, anly went for a short 20 mile ride.  It will come off and stock back on.  IMO the stock is better all around including wind protection.

Hi, All - I'll just jump right in.

I had a Givi, liked the fit and finish, had better wind protection but did cause more buffetting and noise right at lower helmet level (I'm about 5'8") plus I didn't really like the looks - eventually (after about 4K miles) I removed it, sold it on ebay, and reinstalled my stock windscreen.

Here are a couple of (old, very poor quality) before and after pix:

STOCK w/bike on sidestand:

cbr1100xx-stock-windscreen.jpg

GIVI w/bike on centerstand:

cbr1100xx-givi-windscreen.jpg

One thing to beware of with the givi - it has a thickened 'bead' around the base where it meets the cowling. On a particularly hot day in Jackson one summer, I parked the bike in the sun, and this bead apparently focused the suns rays on a spot on the instrument panel's black shroud, and heated the spot to the point where there is a pinkie-nail sized smooth spot! I shit you not. I had to replace the shroud... got tired of seeing the spot every time I looked at the tach... YMMV, but you ought to check to see if this happens on your givi windscreen...

I like the Givi for summer time, spring riding. But when it gets cold, there's only one screen to run, and that's the one that Eric, EVLXX makes.

It is an aaaaaaaawesome screen.

apparently focused the suns rays on a spot on the instrument panel's black shroud, and heated the spot

Not an unheard of occurence, inactivist, so don't feel lonely.

Thanks for that - I only wish I had some warning before doing the damage, so perhaps this post can help someone else... it's enough to make you :bigpuke:

I like the Givi for summer time, spring riding. But when it gets cold, there's only one screen to run, and that's the one that Eric, EVLXX makes.  

It is an aaaaaaaawesome screen.

Where can we find this? Pictures? Who/What/Where/When/etc.. :?:

From what I understand from other sites is the sun doesn't get focused through the shield but reflected/concentrated from the back.

To keep this from hapening park your bike faceing the sun.

I also read where this happened while riding where the dash just started melting right before the riders eyes :!: :shock:

From what I understand from other sites is the sun doesn't get focused through the shield but reflected/concentrated from the back.

To keep this from hapening park your bike faceing the sun.

Good post. I'll keep that in mind for future parking. :-o

In this particular case, that's impossible -- taking in to account:

- The orientation of the bike & sun,

- The time of day (late afternoon, sun coming thru front right side of windscreen),

- and the fact that I came out and saw the sunlight focused thru the 'bead' (thickened part) where the screen meets the cowl, with a very bright spot right where the melted area was...

all conspire to tell me that this was due to the thickened part of the Givi screen acting as a lens. Afterwards, I could see that it acts as a magnifying lens just by looking thru the base of the screen, at a piece of paper -- at least on my screen.. I'll admit that it could have been a manufacturing flaw.

You can see that the base of the screen has much thicker plastic where it meets the cowl, from this (admittedly poor) photo:

cbr1100xx-givi-windscreen.jpg

Notice how there is a pronounced 'thickening' or curvature at the base.

You can see the pronounced curvature where the screen meets the cowl on another model (CBR600RR):

d301db.jpg

Next time you look at your Givi, or see one on a bike, check it out. Also, does anyone have a high-quality closeup photo of the thick area where the Givi meets the cowl?

-Mike

(Inactivist)