CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lowering Link

MiDNiTXX

You don't need a lowering link if you're only going an inch. I took some spring rate out of the rear and upped the shock rate some, and solved my problem. I have a 30" inseam and had problems getting both feet flat on the ground at stock height. This put the bike low enough to get both feet flat yet still be able to keep the bike as stock appearing as possible.

I just ordered the lowering link from Schintz Racing as well as a lowering strap for the front. Like Fur said, back off the preload some and you'll get your inch you're looking for. Mine's setup like this now and the forks are slid up about an inch, but it still isn't low enough. The forks and rear preload allowed me to lower the bike about an inch front and rear. I am lowering mine about 3" front and rear total to prevent wheelies at the strip. :lol: :cool:

You're draggin' your 'Bird, right? 'Cuz if you're lowering the bike for the road, you're gonna start dragging hard parts just as soon as you mill through the feelers (and that'll happen pretty durn fast, too).

Bryan...I'd wear taller boots rather than lose ground clearance...

Please explain how a lowering strap works up front. Does it just compress the forks? What is the benefit besides drag racing?

It compresses the forks. As for benefits besides drag racing, I can't think of a single one. It could easily cause a spectacular crash on the street. :shock:

I know drag racers strap the front ends down all the time, but the drag strip is usually very smooth, and there are no corners. (except the turn around at the end)

Still sound like a scary idea to me.

I think there was an article in Motorcyclist about 2 months ago where they drag tested a Busa and a big Kawi. They started stock, then raised fork tubes, and then finally strapped the suspension down. It's a good read.

Still sound like a scary idea to me.

I have used them at the track with no bad affects. It helps keep the front end down but I have noticed that when the track is slick (cold foggy night), the back tire would light up because of less weight transfer.

Strapping the front does 2 things. First, it lowers the center of gravity by lowering the front of the bike and second, it keeps the forks from releasing the tension in the springs when you get on the gas keeping the front end down even better