CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can the Speedometer itself just go bad?

Zero Knievel

I'm still having issues with my speedometer.

When it goes, both it and the odometer doesn't move forward. All other instruments work fine.

Pro-Oiler registers tire rotation, so I know it's not the sensor in the gearbox.

I doubt it is the Speedo Healer. Of course, when this stuff happens, I have no easy way to check (short of stop, pop the seat and see if the unit is dark).

Back in 2011 (IIRC) I had an incident where my lights went out (headlamps, turn signals, speedo, etc.). The even that preceded it was an odd thing at startup where the speedo went from 0 to max then back to 0 like some of the newer bikes do with their tach needles. As you know, this is not normal behavior.

That incident has never repeated, but I wonder if it indicates something went wrong that's now causing the problem or just flat out "broke" the speedometer.

Can the gauge be "opened up" for inspection? Is it possible to just replace the speedometer? I'm going to just live with it for now and make it a winter project rather than keep tearing things down to check.

I have no doubt that it IS the speedo healer, the preoiler, or the wiring associated with it.

The Honda dash is pretty well made, most aftermarket electronic devices not so much. Any item that intercepts the speedo signal can cause the problem you have.

As to measuring the signal with a DVM, you need to understand that it is an AC signal. The DC value is close to zero.

The right way to solve this is remove the extra stuff on the sensor line first and see what happens.

It is entirely possible that the signal is attenuated too much for the dash to read, but still seen by the preoiler.

Is the preoiler connected before the speedo healer?

My bet would be on the speedo healer, if it loses power you would have this happen.

Well, the tap for the ProOiler is before the connector to the Speedo Healer.

The manual says to check the signal wire for a 0v to 5v DC variance as you turn the wheel. The multi-meter shows this to be so.

When I pulled the speed sensor, there was a drop of black glop on it. So far, since putting it back together, no speedometer failure has happened, and I have a multi-meter patched into the instrument cluster so if there is a failure, I can see if there's still a signal on the wire or if it's lost as well. If there's no further malfunctions, I'll consider the matter fixed.

What he meant to say is--After SH996's insistent bugging that I pull and clean the sensor, which I knew couldn't fix the problem, the problem hasn't recurred. Once I do another 27,834.52 trouble free miles I'll conclude that I owe him a beer, but thank you for your advise Sail, those would be likely suspects.

I just had to, and I hope that's all it was as uncommon as it might be.

What he meant to say is--After SH996's insistent bugging that I pull and clean the sensor, which I knew couldn't fix the problem, the problem hasn't recurred. Once I do another 27,834.52 trouble free miles I'll conclude that I owe him a beer, but thank you for your advise Sail, those would be likely suspects.

I just had to, and I hope that's all it was as uncommon as it might be.

Thanks for the translation. I don't speak human very well. :o

Well, got back from a weekend trip to WV.

The whole time, the speedometer only "failed" twice and only for a couple of seconds each time. In each case, the signal voltage went to around 8.5 (which is odd because I typically get 0v, 5v or 10v). This tells me there's nothing wrong with the speedometer itself.

I might pull the speed sensor again later, but the rest of the trip, not once did anything happen. If there's some "glop" in my oil that occasionally gets flung on the sensor and the "washed" off, it stands to reason that it'll eventually find its way to the oil filter and be captured. The problem should resolve itself.

I'm not sure why this started or how anything like this gets into the oil in the first place. Is there a breather hole that something could have crawled in?