CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork service question

vincer

Unable to get Allen bolt on bottom loose. Drained from the top. The left leg fluid is way dirtier. Gonna try to impact bolt out tomorrow. I'm concerned something might be wrong with the damper in the left fork.

Is this normal? Should I just flush and fill it?

Pretty dirty, something's going on. Assuming you don't wanna take them apart just yet, I'd say flush & fill and check back after a short time and if it's shitty again I'd strip the forks.

• Upvote 1

I've had to drill them out on 2 occasions, but here's my recommend.

Reassemble the fork completely...that means with the spring in place. Put the fork upside down with the top on the floor so you will compress it further as you push down with your impact tool. Take care it is firmly seated and have at it.

Will the bolt not turn at all, or is is spinning with no effect? If the later, what Joe said above. I've done a few sets of XX forks and about half the time the damper assembly will decide to spin with the bolt. A bit of pressure on the assembly and the impact wrench have always done the trick. You'll probably have to rig up a long enough 3/8" drive 6mm allen tool. I sacrificed a 6mm socket and allen wrench for this specific purpose years ago.

If the bolt is simply stuck, I'd try a breaker bar or something I have a little more control over before going to the impact wrench. You're still probably going to need to source or make a tool long enough to reach through that hole.

I don't know what they call it in your area, but other than WD-40, I think there's something called "break free." It's basically a penetrant you spray on frozen bolts/nuts and let sit overnight...sometime reapply and repeat before you try to break it lose. It may not save the nut/bolt from being replaced afterwards but it will avoid having to drill it out.

• Upvote 1

You still didn't say whether the bolt is stuck tight, or spinning with the damper body.

It won't turn at all.

You'll likely have to drill it, as time is not good for steel in close proximity to aluminum. The steel Honda uses for that bolt is almost as soft as aluminum anyway. Try the impact wrench first. A breaker bar will just strip the hex out of the head easier. Ask me how I know. Best just to order new bolts before you get started.

• Upvote 1

Almost put a permanent twist in this trying to break the bolt loose.

Moving on to my homemade impact bit in the morning. I've got a feeling I'll be drilling it out before it's over.

You will strip the shit out of it with that tool. They flex way too much.

I know a tool maker that will remove those from our shop floor because he ends up fixing all the damage those cause. Light duty only.

Get an Allen socket that looks like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=allen+socket&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=20qLVbbFO8va-QGz7oH4Aw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=360&bih=559#imgrc=C541Wy8DF0kHjM%253A%3BYRiwfil06x8SDM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.toolbuddy.co.uk%252Fekmps%252Fshops%252Ftoolbuddy%252Fimages%252Ffranklin-hex-allen-key-socket-1-2-drive-choose-sizes-6mm-19mm-1794-p.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.toolbuddy.co.uk%252Ffranklin-hex-allen-key-socket-12-drive-choose-sizes-6mm---19mm-1794-p.asp%3B378%3B210

Edited by TuffguyF4i

I always try to shock the stuck bolt with a few love taps from a small hammer. 9 times out of 10 it will breake the tension of what is holding it and it will turn. For those times it doesn't work I try to apply a bit of heat and then tap. For all other times there is Mastercard. ... 😀 😄 😜

• Upvote 2

I have Allen sockets, but couldn't source one long enough to reach. I was afraid to use the longer ball end type.

You should be afraid. They snap off.

Go to napa. For 10 bucks you could get a longer allen socket.

I will turn both ways with the same amount of force, building up to the point it will move, some, and continue till it moves more and more. Put in the middle of the turn and lube with different types of penetrate. Find marvel mistry oil works well

I have Allen sockets, but couldn't source one long enough to reach. I was afraid to use the longer ball end type.

You should be afraid. They snap off.

Go to napa. For 10 bucks you could get a longer allen socket.

If all you can find is the ball end just cut the ball off.

Snap-on makes a 1/4" drive Allen socket that will completely fit into the hole in the bottom of the fork, and it's tougher than any ratchet I've put on it. I've even put 2 adapters on it, so I could use my cheap 1/2" impact. Pricey, yes, but well worth it.

• Upvote 1