CBR1100XX.org Forum

unmothballing the XX

ExPatXX

Will be back in the States for three weeks starting June 6th, and I want to get some riding in while back. The tank was emptied and spray with WD, the carbs drained (it's a 97), the cylinders got a squirt of oil through the spark plug holes; then turned over for a second or two. The battery is on a charger. It has been sitting for a year and a half, ditto for my SV.

Is an oil change mandatory and is another oil in the cylinder treatment needed before firing it up?

Should I relube the cylinders in the SV as well?

If you plan to ride for a short time and store them again change the oil after riding, otherwise just go with a "normal" oil change interval. Oil looses it's ability to hold contaminates and can turn acidic over time and you don't wanna keep that in there long term.

Trickle charger, of course. The fun is now registering the bike since it was off the insurance policy.

If I have to get another battery- it will be a lithium type where a maintenance charge isn't a concern.

I had a backup car battery for use as power source with an inverter for running small electrical items in case of power outages which are frequent in my tree lined neighborhood. I had neglected to charge it, and now it WON'T hold a charge. It got very little use.

I'll follow up to report how my YTS-12 whatever holds a charge.

Edited by ExPatXX