CBR1100XX.org Forum

1997xx motor noise on start up

RoyXX

My 97 has a noise at cold start up untill motor reaches about 1000 rpm and smoothes out .It doesnt do it when started warm.It sounds like the cct is loose or something of that nature.It does it with enricher on also.I have to tickle the throttle to get rpms up for about 20-30 seconds then noise goes away after motor smoothes out.I can get it to start without noise by giving it a little throttle(shivers)I hate cold start quick revs. Is this normal for a carb bird or should I be conserned.I was thinking of changing cct but no noise is present at any rpm after start up. possibly carb adj or maybe the vacume shutoff for fuel leaking??Your thoughts and help will be greatly appreciated.I dont want to fck up My bb by ignoring this if it is not a normal noise.

I neglected to check..it might just be the trans gears thrashing back and forth.Ill check when it stops raining.bikes are shamefully stored outside covered after april 1

problem solved...pull the clutch in dumbass...smh...I outta know better

That rattle noise going away with the clutch in is likely a miss or imbalance between cylinders. It's the slight acceleration/deceleration of the crankshaft as it rotates rather than making a smooth rotation. Might be time for a synch or maybe a carb cleaning. My '97 did it really badly when I first got it, then I synched the carbs. It'll still do it for a bit if it's cold out and the RPM is low, but once the RPM come up a bit it's quiet. I know my carbs aren't 100% still so that's probably the cause.

Didn't pay attention to your RPM, under 1 k even a perfectly tuned bird will probably rattle. Get the revs up, there's no damage in getting it up to 2k or so and letting it settle. I know of people who cold start and rev the fuck out of their motors to warm them up, I think it's stupid and it makes me cringe, but they don't break.

I'll def have to sync the carbs..it does idle a little rough at 1200 rpm warm..I'm waiting a couple weeks for warmer weather and striping lower fairings to scrub the motor and frame area that you can't see