CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rattle Blues!

LiquiBlack

Long story short (98' 1100XX with 99K Miles)... started to hear a rattle between 3-4 k RPM.. took it in for full (FULL) service (valve adj etc..) and have the CCT and all the fixens replaced (all OEM).. Went to pick it up today, everything sounded fine at first, then about 20 min into ride I started to hear that rattle again. Any suggestions.. ? :(

UPDATE** :wacko: I picked up bike yesterday, have done everything CCT involved to get this rattle to go away but it is still haunting me.. aside from the rattle.. the bike now feels and runs as if I just assembled it out of the crate.. minus the flat spot on the front rim (long story).. as I kneel down on right side and rev to about 2,800k - 3,200k the rattle seems to be a bit lower than the CCT.. more high clutch area.... any experience in that?.. im lost.. lol (would a manual CCT be a cure and just not go the OEM auto CCT)

Tough to guess without hearing it and knowing what you mean by "rattle". And I'm getting senile, so even recalling whether it was in relation to my '97 or '03 XXs or to an FJR eludes me, but why do I want to guess "Clutch Basket?" ??? Seems to me it was in my '97 XX that I had some clutch noise idling in neutral. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

but why do I want to guess "Clutch Basket?" ???

Ummmmm...let's see....could it be because every Honduh motorcycle made eventually develops a clutch rattle...could that be it? :D

My '03 is hinting at doing it already at a bit over 50K.... :( Bright side...??? It means nothing.... B) The Wingy Dingy sounds like a washing machine with tennis shoes in it...

try to pin down the rattle

front

back

left

right

high

low

get a

Stethoscope

(sp)

or a quick cheap fix is a piece of wood or even a big screwdriver and place it around and hold end up to your ear.

Fixed it for ya.

That's not the clutch. I thought exhaust leak at first and then picked out the more pronounced rapping/tapping noise. I would have to try counterbalance shaft(s) adjustment first. Doesn't sound real good though.... :(

On the bright side, you may have the ideal opportunity to be the first in your neighborhood to have a CBR1200XX.... ;)

Good luck!

Hard to tell on video, but it sounds like piston or con rod; maybe a tuning issue. If one carb is lean, rich, or out of synch it could cause noise from the imbalance, but that sounds more mechanical than I'd expect. Does it start, idle, and accelerate perfectly at low throttle openings? If so it somewhat eliminates a tuning issue. You could disconnect the the plug for the cylinder(s) closest to the noise and see if it changes. If it doesn't change that mostly eliminates piston or rod.

You could try going to the shop that did the service and see if they'll give it a quick listen for you, they might know.

You had the full service done so would it be possible to go back to the shop and ask the mechanic if they saw anything unusual in the oil? Maybe go for a short drive, thoroughly clean an oil change pan, and drain the oil looking for anything? If it was a small shop, they might still have your oil filter on top of the pile, cut it open and inspect?

Just had a thought, would it be possible to drop the oil pan when you drop the oil? You could then check the inside of the pan for residue and also see if you can get any movement on the rod big ends. I`m not sure but you might be able to see the counterbalancer and see if there`s play in the gear teeth.

Have you taken the clutch push rod out from behind the slave cylinder and cleaned it all up pretty? Just wondering if maybe it is sticking and causing some issues.

Maybe they didn't actually replace the CCT.

Good thought--and/or anything else for that matter. One would think they do what they say, but sadly it doesn't always get done or gets done wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

take the plug out of the end of the cct, and a small screwdriver that will fit inside and clockwise turn a little, see if it goes away. its a ratcheting catch. feel it?

adjust the balancers by the book.

#3 rod bearing gone. ever ride wheelies?

Just listened to the youtube vid....

Oh that's not good. And that does not Sound like a Bad CCT... it sounds like NO CCT.

Like the CCT is in there and it's stuck. Zero Movement, chains just flapping around in there, and its the worst at said 3K harmonics.

If not that then as Mr. Wizard stated... Bad bearing?