CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stator opinions..

racer212

What is the latest opinion? Stocker - Rick's or what? The juicer on ol' blue finally kicked off so I need a replacement. Lots of threads on here about how to check them and replace them, which I can do. Just try to decide on which one.

the original oem stator in mine lasted about 40,000klms.had it rewound by a motorcycle electrics shop and it lasted around 100,000klms .had them rewind it again and got about another 100,000klms out of it .running an oem stator at the moment while i look for another shop that does quality work to rebuild the old one again.from what ive read it comes down to the lacquer coating degrading that stuff them up.

Off the top of my head, Rick's are made to the new standard...performs better than OEM. Might as well go with the newer tech. Only thing I had to do was use a rasp to file off a 1/2" by 1/2" angle on one side of the heat sink to ensure it cleared the plastics with no touching.

i have a rick's in mine and it's been good for several thousand miles. between the 2, i'd go for price until i hear otherwise. wonder if anyone here in the states would re-wind? doesn't seem like it here in the land of "throw away"...

i believe zero's referring to the rectifier needing a bit of filing to fit above.

Off the top of my head, Rick's are made to the new standard...performs better than OEM. Might as well go with the newer tech. Only thing I had to do was use a rasp to file off a 1/2" by 1/2" angle on one side of the heat sink to ensure it cleared the plastics with no touching.

"Mosfet" was the word I was trying to think of.

Stator= winding, (looks like a copper donut made of spaghetti) on the lower left side of the engine under a cover, please don't grind this.

Regulator / Rectifier= MOSFET, the thing with the fins, which may need to be ground down to fit.

Sure are light compare to a standard Yuasa - you can tell when it's in the bike. I posted elsewhere by in the XX with my Ipod/Cell charger, heated gear and all my goodies going that battery/charging sytem was really taxed - when the Ballistic went it I never had an issue again... That battery has been in there a few years without issue.

I goofed and left my key on one night when I got home, battery completely flat the next morning. 12 mins on the trickle charger and she fired right up...

• 1 month later...

Little update on my opinion of Ricks.

Put the Ricks stator in my XX, ran fine for 3 days. Stator dropped out. Ricks warrantied the unit but not shipping or labor to replace. Kinda hacked me off, but with my disocunts here at work it was small dollar so away I went.

At roughly the same time I had a customer with an old 95 Suzuki RF600R have issue. On that bike stator and regulator are one unit. Symptom was that when the bike was off, there was a .5amp drain on the battery. Disconnect the unit, drain went away. Rick's rebuilds these units. Sent them the original unit, before Christmas. UPS say delivered there, and a few days later we get it back from Ricks. Install the unit, same problem. Call Ricks, they say they've been closed and never saw the part. Curious, since it came back to us with a shipping label on it. Resent the unit to them. Get it back a week later, put it in the bike, same problem. Call Ricks - they say they examined it and unit charging fine so nothing was done. No shit - since charging wasnt the issue in the first place, which was documented to them when we sent it. Resend unit on trip #3. Get it back with note - stator rewound, charging fine.

Seriously?

Call Ricks again - and they are pissed at my service manager but apparently do see that we've been complaining of a different problem all along. Finally ask us to send back.

We send back, with a note literally wrapped around the unit asking them to check diodes in the regulator part for a short. They apparently got the note, replaced some parts in the regulator section and send back. (I should mention by now my customer is fit to be tied!)

Recieve part back, install to the bike, same exact problem.

My service manager gets on the phone, and finally gets Rick himself. Rick is not happy, and says there as to be something wrong with our bike (not sure exactly what that would be with the whole charging system in one unit...). He finally agrees that he has a different unit in stock then the one we've been shipping back and forth. He'll have it rewound, checked out and shipped to us. If this doesnt fix it, I buy the unit and pay shipping. If it does, he refunds shipping for everything I've spent so far.

Get the unit, and it works perfect. Customer happy, down the road it goes.

So, yes it the part was fixed. Took 5 trips to Ricks and continuous pressure from my store to get it done.

I'll let you all take from this what you will.

In the spirit of it pours when it rains, the reg/rec on my F2 went out this past weekend so I had to order a new one. I did not order a Ricks.

Get the unit, and it works perfect. Customer happy, down the road it goes.

Free entertainment and the opportunity to make money here....start a pool today on how long before it's back with the same problem. :D

I played the part shipping shell game for a few weeks with ElectroSport several years back. Finally lucked up and found a NOS stator and rotor still in old Honda boxes on Ebay and just gave up on ElectroSport. Still got the last round of brand new Chinese parts in boxes that most likely will not work if I ever even try them.

One thing I love about the F2. 21 years old and I can get everything darn thing for it still. Seriously contemplating an all new new body and tank on her while it's still avalible in original color. Little powder coat on the frame, swingarm and fork she'd shine for like new money.