CBR1100XX.org Forum

Checking the oil

NoOne65

I really don't bother unless I see evidence of oil burning. I know how much comes out, I know how much I put in. If I ever notice too little came out, I better wonder what's happened.

It's not like it evaporates.

Actaully it does , it evaporates .

Actually it does but you of course don`t know that . You do read workshop manual backwards after all .

The engine can burn something like 0.5 quart of oil per 1000 miles ( it was considered normal consumption couple decades ago ) and there is no frickng way you would be able to tell it by looking at the exhaust tip / exhaust gases/etc . After 4-5 k miles you would be down 2-2.5 quarts of oil .

• Upvote 1

Actaully it does , it evaporates .

Actually it does but you of course don`t know that . You do read workshop manual backwards after all .

The engine can burn something like 0.5 quart of oil per 1000 miles ( it was considered normal consumption couple decades ago ) and there is no frickng way you would be able to tell it by looking at the exhaust tip / exhaust gases/etc . After 4-5 k miles you would be down 2-2.5 quarts of oil .

Interesting.

I know I put 4 quarts in and get pretty much a gallon back out when I change the oil. Hence, I never really worry about checking the level unless I do something and "top off" and want to make sure I don't overfill.

Its all good Zero that's why they put the idiot light on them.

Don't screw the dip stick in when you check the oil.

I check my oil and tire psi at least every few hundred miles.

Idiot light - on xx - indicates low/no oil pressure . If it comes on while at speed you might as well get ready for engine removal .

Just ask certain dude from Texas .

On Yamahas it indicates low oil level , so you have a chance .

• Upvote 1

I know the idiot light is for low/no psi but when the oil is all gone that's what will happen... yes/no? :D

What is the proper way to check the oil? dipstick screwed in no? I checked the owners manual as well as the service manual and niether one mentions it. I have always screwed it in.

It seems obvious to me that the dipstick is screw in. I don't think I've seen a bike without a sight glass that uses any other kind. It's not something you want to have come off.

The key is always motor off and on a level surface. The latter part is the hard bit. If you had a sight glass on your bike, you'd see how even a slight angle can make a big difference in how much oil shows up.

I know the idiot light is for low/no psi but when the oil is all gone that's what will happen... yes/no? :D

There can be lots of debate as to what happens.

Much can depend on the quality of oil in the motor.

People have drained all the oil from a bike, run it until it stops and get it running again by just letting it cool down and refilling with oil. WITHOUT DOUBT they COULD have done massive damage to the bike, but it shows that running out of oil doesn't = ruined motor as soon as you suffer a catastrophic pressure loss.

Obviously, if your oil light comes on, you pull in the clutch and kill the motor. That should eliminate any real damage that could have happened. How long any given motor could run after loosing oil pressure without being damaged is hard to tell.

Maybe I said it the wrong way, but my experience is that if you're burning oil fast enough that it's a problem, you'll see evidence of it (smoke from exhaust, fouled plugs, etc.). If you're getting out what you put in when you change your oil, checking the level in between is up to you. It's only after you notice there's a significant amount lost oil between changes that you need to check regularly.

Zero , just stop polluting The Garage with your blithering nonsense , O.K. ?

NoOne65 , you are sort of new to this forum - don`t pay attention to zero`s posts here unless you want your bike totally fucked up.

Going back to OP . Next time you change oil and filter put 4 quarts . That will be your reference point , dipstick screwed in or not .

Take your pick .

• Upvote 1

What is the proper way to check the oil? dipstick screwed in no? I checked the owners manual as well as the service manual and niether one mentions it. I have always screwed it in.

It seems obvious to me that the dipstick is screw in. I don't think I've seen a bike without a sight glass that uses any other kind. It's not something you want to have come off.

The key is always motor off and on a level surface. The latter part is the hard bit. If you had a sight glass on your bike, you'd see how even a slight angle can make a big difference in how much oil shows up.

Zero, once again, stop, read the post again. He don't want to know if the dipstick screws in but when you are reading the oil level, do you unscrew it and read it or if you unscrew it, wipe it off, return it without screwing it in, remove it and read it. OK?

The engine can burn something like 0.5 quart of oil per 1000 miles ( it was considered normal consumption couple decades ago ) and after 4-5 k miles you would be down 2-2.5 quarts of oil .

I find this statement questionable at best, at least when applied to the BlackBird.

I have ridden over 60,000 miles on my 2001 BlackBird and changed the oil regularly at or around 3500-4000 miles

and have never experienced any significant oil loss. Never had to add oil to top it off either.

Is my Bird the exception or maybe I am reading the dipstick after it has been screwed in !!!!

Some people have referred to Me as a dipstick!

Do any of you BlackBird owners experience oil loss through evaporation between changes?

Zero, once again, stop, read the post again. He don't want to know if the dipstick screws in but when you are reading the oil level, do you unscrew it and read it or if you unscrew it, wipe it off, return it without screwing it in, remove it and read it. OK?

My experience has always been to fully reinsert a dipstick to get a reading. So, yes, screw it back in.

My manual specifically states to remove the dipstick, wipe it, reinsert it without screwing,it in, and then reading it. On the center stand.

My manual specifically states to remove the dipstick, wipe it, reinsert it without screwing,it in, and then reading it. On the center stand.

My SHOP MANUAL ('99 and later) specifically states the same thing. Well, it does not say centerstand, but upright position on level ground.

The problem with oil in this country is that it's out west and no one is checking on it cause all the dipsticks are back in Washington.