CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vibration at 4,500 and above?

Zero Knievel

Where in the hell do you see it say anything about opening up the case to do the adjustment? Dude if you can't read then just take the bike to a shop and have them fix it.

Before you fuck it up completely.

Where in the hell do you see it say anything about opening up the case to do the adjustment? Dude if you can't read then just take the bike to a shop and have them fix it.

Before you fuck it up completely.

I was flipping backwards through the pages and ended up at a different repair job that mandated taking the oil pan off.

Well, I'm going to do the following....

1. Dump a whole bottle of B12 Chemtool in.

2. Perhaps disconnect the PCII (eliminate an obvious culprit).

3. Ride the tank to empty then a fresh tank with more B12.

Odds are, as fast as the problem emerged and the amount of time the bike's been parked this year, it's a fuel issue. It's also possible the PCII map got corrupted (easy fix...just reset and reload). If the problem goes away as soon as the PCII is disconnected, it's the map. If it goes away with a fresh tank of gas, it's bad gas.

If neither of those work...I'll see if I still have my manometer (didn't think you'd ever use that on a FI motor) and see about doing that counter balance shaft thing. I hate tearing things down during riding season, but if I must....

Well, took it out and ran the tank until the light came on. Put in another can of B12 and premium ethanol-free gas. By the time I was reaching empty on the first tank, it seemed as if the bike was smoothing out some.

I'm working against two issues.

First, I really haven't done much riding this year, so I'm out of tune for what feels "normal" on my bike. Second, the sensation kicks in at RPMs I normally never touch unless I'm doing twisties. When going up and down a twisting mountain road, I'm generally in the 5-7K range, and there has always been some level of "vibration" when I ride like that. Under 4K, the bike is smooth as butter. Maybe the '99 XX has a "transition phase" as it goes from low RPMs to high RPMs which produce more feedback or maybe something is out of adjustement, but that the sensation seemed to fade over time, there's a good chance I just got some sub-par gas(w/ethanol). It also didn't help that the bike's sat for several weeks without being ridden and several months with hardly any appreciable ride time.

I see no point tearing anything down at this point. I'll ride it more regularly for the rest of this year and when I have it torn down for maintenance, I'll check the counter balance things and other factors while I have the plastics off anyhow. Short of the problem coming back or getting worse, I might be making a mountain out of a molehill.