CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vibration at 4,500 and above?

Zero Knievel

Something I've noticed. Not sure where to start checking.

Took the bike out for a short run. At about 4,500 RPM and above, there's a "vibration" I can feel that I don't think should be there. At higher RPMs it is still there (felt mostly through the hand grips), but it is most noticeable around 4,000-4,500 RPM when I can feel it both through the hand grips and the foot pegs.

Don't feel anything under 4,000 RPM. Idles fine. Sounds fine (as far as I can tell).

To be fair, it has a full tank of gas, but I last gassed up weeks ago. Without burning through a whole tank to refill, I don't have an easy way to put in "new gas" and see if it goes away. IIRC, I used fuel system cleaner at the last fill up (B12 Chemtool).

What things could it be and what should I watch for?

I know it's not the CCT. I've had mine go before, and I'd recognize the sound. I don't think it's the tires but since I kept it in 3rd to test the RPM range on roads I couldn't go too fast on, It's possible it's speed related and not RPM. I'd have to try different gears and see if it occurs at a speed or at a RPM range.

Took a good ride. It's definitely RPM related. I put it up on the center stand and tried running it up without it in gear. It's even more noticeable...even at lower RPMs.

Definitely something in the motor making it run "rough." I remember checking the valve clearances a couple years back. All but one were well within spec, and the lone anomaly was on the edge of what was permissible. I wasn't going to tear things down for a minor adjustment. I don't know if that could be the issue.

Plugs haven't been changed for a couple years (IIRC)...but I haven't been riding that much in the last couple of years. I don't expect it is bad gas. IIRC I put in B12 Chemtool at the last fill up.

FPR? What symptoms does it produce when it's not working right? I should go and disconnect the PCII and see if it goes away. Nothing should have changed as I've not touched the map in years.

• Upvote 1

sounds like maybe a mild misfire...

Do you have a Power Commander?

Knock sensor?

Could be a spark plug has gone bad?

Or maybe it's a Tumor!

Tumor...definitely a tumor. :lol: (I miss the animated GIFs)

Silly me...I haven't tried unplugging the PCII and seeing if it goes away (just to eliminate it as a cause).

It shouldn't be due for a plug replacement...I did one in January (unless something's happened).

There's a knock sensor?

What are the signs of impending FPR failure? I've not touched mine and I have over 85K on the clock.

Perhaps your crankshaft has developed a crack in one of the rod journal area.

Let's hope not. :o

I'd like to see what I can check without tearing down half the bike to do it. I know that's not much, but I'd feel stupid if it proved to be something simple.

Have you ever adjusted the counter balance shafts? There is 3 adjustment points and a set sequence for adjusting. Check you manual for this.

Counter balance would be a good start and gas being shitty.

My xx hates high octane gas. If I am somewhere that only has 93 or so I get half a tank so I can find 87 and fill it up. Whole bike will get buzzy in pegs and bars.

Please explain how or why this would happen.

The counter balance shafts reduce the vibration from the motor if the gears that drive them get to where they may need adjustments then it will cause a slight buzz as he is describing.

what Stefan said about the balaners..

as for the fuel.

honda made the bike to run on regular unleaded gas and not high test with a mild 11:1 CR. My power commander is tuned for where I ride the most (normal operating speeds) yet when you ask for it, you shall receive. (keeping lean and rich spots to a minimum) all on 87, no pinging or anything.

you thin the mix or richen the mix and you get different results. You change octane and you get different results. 87 bangs easier than 93 and it bangs sweet in my XX, soon as I am forced to run higher octane the buzziness begins.

higher octane don't mean more power or better running. Always stick with running what runs the best and doesn't ping.

funny how many people actually run 93 or higher octane in a stock bike without ever know what was recommended.. just the mind set of higher octane makes more power.

• Upvote 1

funny how many people actually run 93 or higher octane in a stock bike without ever know what was recommended.. just the mind set of higher octane makes more power.

That may be true but I don't see how it would make it run bad. I have tried 93 in everything from all my bikes to my F-250 with no bad results.