CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB a Backrest that will fit a Corbin seat

Anyone have a Backrest that will fit the back of a Corbin seat they want to get rid of at a fair price? I want to take my 8 year-old with me this summer and would feel better if I didn't have to worry about him falling off the back.

Matt

I do not have a backrest, but I applaud your intentions. Are you talking about just riding around with him or going on a trip? I know there are some harnesses available, I remember seeing them somewhere. I just got a Give top box that has an optional backrest pad which might be an option.I rode all my children with nothing more than a helmet and boots, and consider myself lucky. For an interesting look at long distance trips with kids, I recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a novel about a man and his boy.

Here's an interesting editorial:

Riding two-up with a child is controversial. Doubt this? Put a 10-year-old on the back for your next ride and count the dirty looks and unsolicited comments—often from other motorcyclists—about how “dangerous” riding is for kids. But for many parents, it’s pure pleasure. It’s an opportunity to spend time with your child and include him/her in an activity you are passionate about. And it’s still the best way to introduce new riders to the sport.

Motorcycling can be dangerous regardless of age, but if proper precautions are taken, riding with kids can be rich and rewarding for all involved. As our former editor and long-time motorcycle safety advocate Art Friedman once wrote, “If motorcycling is safe enough for parents, it’s safe enough for kids, provided you accommodate their unique needs.”

Here’s what you need to know before taking your child for a ride:

Begin with an honest conversation between yourself and the other parent about whether both parties—you and the child—are ready to ride. My daughters got their first sidecar rides around age 4, but it was almost four more years before I decided they were ready for the passenger seat. Kids must be big enough to reach the footpegs and strong enough to hold on. More importantly, they need the mental awareness to be a good passenger—to pay attention, stay calm and follow the rider’s lead. Never force an unwilling child to ride—fear can literally be paralyzing. The operator must be mature as well. This is no time to show off. It doesn’t take much to thrill a 10-year-old. He or she will be plenty impressed by a smooth, gentle ride.

Step two is gathering good gear. There are plenty of Snell- and DOT-approved children’s helmets on the market, and many adult models are available in XS and XXS sizes that fit kids. Do not put them in an oversized adult helmet that might fly off in a crash, and help them properly fasten the chinstrap, too.

Child-sized off-road gear is abundant, but unless you find used examples of now-discontinued Harley-Davidson MotorClothes or Held children’s apparel, street gear is virtually non-existent. Be creative: My 11-year-old daughter Kiva wears an XS women’s Icon textile jacket with sleeve adjusters snug enough to keep the armor properly positioned, paired with jeans and leather boots that cover her ankles. And don’t forget gloves: I’ve found XXS women’s street gloves small enough to fit 7-year-old Ruby. Failing that, kid’s MX gloves work, too.

Now it’s time to ride. Begin with a pre-ride briefing, reminding your child to hold on, sit still, avoid the hot exhaust and always keep his/her feet on the pegs. Never place a child in front of you. Like all passengers, children belong on back, raising a separate set of worries about falling off. A passenger harness can prevent this worst-case scenario. By far the best is the Moto-Grip ($179.95, plus $79.95 for the optional child strap; (www.hatchventures.com). Exceptionally well made, the Moto-Grip creates two secure, convenient handholds on the operator’s back and chest. An optional security strap keeps the child from falling off, and acts as an early-warning system if he/she slumps, slides or otherwise shifts position.

I’m still not ready to ride cross-country with a kid—especially not moto-narcoleptic Ruby—but with good gear and the added security of the Moto-Grip, we all love shorter trips. “I feel like a rock star,” Kiva remarked after a recent GSX-R jaunt. “Everyone’s looking at me!” What father wouldn’t feel good hearing that? I just hope everyone is thinking about how safe and well-protected she looks up there, and doesn’t miss her ear-to-ear grin.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/st.../#ixzz2PUl5Hh00

Matt, I'm not willing to seperate mine from the seat untill I know if I'm going to sell it or keep it but if you can't find one you're welcome to borrow mine untill you do

Is your Corbin designed for a backrest?

I heard you can't retrofit them - the seats need to be factory fit and are not capable of being modified to take a backrest later.

In other words, does your Corbin have a square hole at the back under the little flap?

Anyone have a Backrest that will fit the back of a Corbin seat they want to get rid of at a fair price? I want to take my 8 year-old with me this summer and would feel better if I didn't have to worry about him falling off the back.

Matt

Its a square peg fit with a screw in the bottom. I've never used a screw there. You can purchase knockoffs on ebay for $40.

I think the corbin backrest has too much recline in it. I much prefer the Givi style topbox with a pad on it. You'd be surprised how much a little one can wander around behind you when their helmet starts bobbing in the afternoon sun.....

I do not have a backrest, but I applaud your intentions. Are you talking about just riding around with him or going on a trip? I know there are some harnesses available, I remember seeing them somewhere. I just got a Give top box that has an optional backrest pad which might be an option.I rode all my children with nothing more than a helmet and boots, and consider myself lucky. For an interesting look at long distance trips with kids, I recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a novel about a man and his boy.

Here's an interesting editorial:

Riding two-up with a child is controversial. Doubt this? Put a 10-year-old on the back for your next ride and count the dirty looks and unsolicited comments—often from other motorcyclists—about how “dangerous” riding is for kids. But for many parents, it’s pure pleasure. It’s an opportunity to spend time with your child and include him/her in an activity you are passionate about. And it’s still the best way to introduce new riders to the sport.

Motorcycling can be dangerous regardless of age, but if proper precautions are taken, riding with kids can be rich and rewarding for all involved. As our former editor and long-time motorcycle safety advocate Art Friedman once wrote, “If motorcycling is safe enough for parents, it’s safe enough for kids, provided you accommodate their unique needs.”

Here’s what you need to know before taking your child for a ride:

Begin with an honest conversation between yourself and the other parent about whether both parties—you and the child—are ready to ride. My daughters got their first sidecar rides around age 4, but it was almost four more years before I decided they were ready for the passenger seat. Kids must be big enough to reach the footpegs and strong enough to hold on. More importantly, they need the mental awareness to be a good passenger—to pay attention, stay calm and follow the rider’s lead. Never force an unwilling child to ride—fear can literally be paralyzing. The operator must be mature as well. This is no time to show off. It doesn’t take much to thrill a 10-year-old. He or she will be plenty impressed by a smooth, gentle ride.

Step two is gathering good gear. There are plenty of Snell- and DOT-approved children’s helmets on the market, and many adult models are available in XS and XXS sizes that fit kids. Do not put them in an oversized adult helmet that might fly off in a crash, and help them properly fasten the chinstrap, too.

Child-sized off-road gear is abundant, but unless you find used examples of now-discontinued Harley-Davidson MotorClothes or Held children’s apparel, street gear is virtually non-existent. Be creative: My 11-year-old daughter Kiva wears an XS women’s Icon textile jacket with sleeve adjusters snug enough to keep the armor properly positioned, paired with jeans and leather boots that cover her ankles. And don’t forget gloves: I’ve found XXS women’s street gloves small enough to fit 7-year-old Ruby. Failing that, kid’s MX gloves work, too.

Now it’s time to ride. Begin with a pre-ride briefing, reminding your child to hold on, sit still, avoid the hot exhaust and always keep his/her feet on the pegs. Never place a child in front of you. Like all passengers, children belong on back, raising a separate set of worries about falling off. A passenger harness can prevent this worst-case scenario. By far the best is the Moto-Grip ($179.95, plus $79.95 for the optional child strap; (www.hatchventures.com). Exceptionally well made, the Moto-Grip creates two secure, convenient handholds on the operator’s back and chest. An optional security strap keeps the child from falling off, and acts as an early-warning system if he/she slumps, slides or otherwise shifts position.

I’m still not ready to ride cross-country with a kid—especially not moto-narcoleptic Ruby—but with good gear and the added security of the Moto-Grip, we all love shorter trips. “I feel like a rock star,” Kiva remarked after a recent GSX-R jaunt. “Everyone’s looking at me!” What father wouldn’t feel good hearing that? I just hope everyone is thinking about how safe and well-protected she looks up there, and doesn’t miss her ear-to-ear grin.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/st.../#ixzz2PUl5Hh00

Nice write-up... Like most of us here I love riding! When I met my wife 6 years ago i picked her up on my XX for our first date and she was hooked. Last year my wife made a few comments about how fun she thought it would be to have her own bike, and she pointed out we wouldn’t be stuck at home on the weekends if she had one because I could throw my son on the back with me.

Sooooo I bought her a Ninja 250 and after a entire summer (2500 miles) she now up to highway speed………… :icon_rolleyes:

We did take a couple weekend trips (250 miles) and both of them loved it. BUT I did get a little scared one time last summer when my boy fell asleep while on the back with me…………..

Is your Corbin designed for a backrest?

I heard you can't retrofit them - the seats need to be factory fit and are not capable of being modified to take a backrest later.

In other words, does your Corbin have a square hole at the back under the little flap?

My Corbin does have the little square hole/shaft under the little flap in the back. I will go and look at ebay now & see what they got.

Matt,

I did lots of two up riding with my kids at those young ages. They really do seem to nod off on the back of a bike.

I found that the best trips were done with a second rider who could keep an eye on my pillion. A horn blast, or a flash of the following light would alert me if I had one falling asleep.

Just like distance riding, take many breaks, and work up on the distance. Get the kids good gear, and take pictures. These are great memories to be made.

I'll check this weekend to see if mine isn't buried somewhere. It was left in a wet basement, so it had a little mold on it that I cleaned off, and the metal on the rod that connects to the seat isn't beautiful... but reasonable I am when it comes to price. In fact, I'm open to trades :-)

You have the Givi side bags, do you have a top one? Like I said, they have an optional backrest about which Imhave read reviews.

You have the Givi side bags, do you have a top one? Like I said, they have an optional backrest about which Imhave read reviews.

I have the Givi top case with the back rest worked fine it kept the wife on absolutely no danger of falling off the back.

She complained that there was no movement tho, that was the only problem.

I also made up a belt that I wear that has a handle on each side for her hold onto. She also would fall asleep.

• 1 month later...
I'll check this weekend to see if mine isn't buried somewhere. It was left in a wet basement, so it had a little mold on it that I cleaned off, and the metal on the rod that connects to the seat isn't beautiful... but reasonable I am when it comes to price. In fact, I'm open to trades :-)

Hey OrganDonor, did you ever happen to run across your old backrest? Plus, I like the trade idea, you wouldn't happen to need a good stock seat or some new clip-ons would you???