CBR1100XX.org Forum

17mm socket stuck in spark plug hole...

Zero Knievel

Doing my plugs I accidentally used a 17mm socket on my first plug. I thought it fit fine because it seemed to go in okay. There was resistance, but I thought the plug was just being stubborn.

Well, yes, I eventually figure out that no matter how much I turn, the plug isn't coming out. I don't even know if I'm touching the "nut" on the plug at this point.

Did the other 3 with the correct socket. Can't figure out how to extract the socket from the first hole.

My best idea is to put some kind of epoxy on the tip of a socket extension, put it on and let it harden. Then, use a pliers to grip and pull the fused extension + socket out. Right now, no matter what I try, the extension comes loose without pulling the socket with it. I don't want to try my idea until I see if someone else has a better way to solve this problem.

How about compressed air? Can you find a piece of hose or tubing that will fit into the square socket extension hole? If so I would try blowing air into the other end of the hose with a compressor and see if that will lift the socket out. Be careful though, I used this method to retrieve a bolt inside my handlebars and it damn near blew it through my drywall.

If you have a real angled pick tool (not that cheapo little green or orange handled set from harbor freight) you could slide that in through the attachment hole and pull it up with that. I would suggest using some penetrating oil as well to help things along.

If it seems to be spinning relatively freely, I would add some interference to the socket-extension interface - maybe some painter's tape on the extension before plugging it into the socket, just enough to make it difficult to engage. Then, while spinning the socket/extension, pull on it enough so the extension won't decouple from the socket, but enough to (hopefully) remove the socket.

A 7/16 standard thread machine screw will *almost* fit in a 3/8 socket. If you can keep the socket from turning, the threads will catch enough to pull it out. You may have to take a file and taper the first thread or two, but it will work.

The epoxy idea sounds good, but you may not have to get that extreme yet. Be careful not to get any of the epoxy on anything else, or it may be permanent :icon_eek: .

Pocket magnet on a telescoping stick...usually $.99 at the auto parts checkout counter. I have a larger version for heavier stuff too.

If that fails and the socket is binding in the hole, a large easy-out that would engage the drive recess and offer extra engagement for pulling more forcefully.

The compressed air idea sounds the coolest. If you do not have an air compressor, try spraying just a teeny bit of thrust into the space between the socket and the plug and use one of those long-tipped BBQ lighters. THAT should be fun!

Dad had a "lifter puller" that might have worked, but the damn bike frame keeps it from getting into the socket hole because you're forced to approach at an angle. If it was half the length....

I don't know if an easy out would be long enough to reach the socket and leave anything to pull on, but I'll see what we have.

If it'll turn, it's not that wedged in there.

I'd put a small bend on the end of a piece of heavy wire (coat hanger might work) and try to hook the interior of the engagement hole with that.

If it'll turn, it's not that wedged in there.

I'd put a small bend on the end of a piece of heavy wire (coat hanger might work) and try to hook the interior of the engagement hole with that.

thats what i was going to say. Coathanger with a small hook bent on it.

Ya know, they do make 3/8" drive extensions that will grip a socket and not let go until you pull back the release ring. They are very handy for any spark plug work.

Ya know, they do make 3/8" drive extensions that will grip a socket and not let go until you pull back the release ring. They are very handy for any spark plug work.

Here's one

clickey

Edit: Link fixed

gallery_2671_769_8983.jpg

The progress (or lack thereof) so far.

Tried a coat hanger...didn't work.

Dad got one of those locking extensions. It was a pain in the ass to get on (find a way to keep it disengaged until it was in place...a few tries with electrical tape got it done), but when you pull hard enough, it pops off....WTF?

I'll look at Lowes and see if they have that type. Maybe a different style would work better.

Unless I find a better idea, It occurs to me that I need to turn and pull at the same time. I can clamp the locking extension with pliers and see about trying to apply vertical motion while turning it left or right. All it needs to do is come loose a little and the taper of the hole should do the rest.

Got to a local grocery store and get some dry ice and place pieces on the top of the socket or get a can of that spray duster stuff for keyboards and turn it upside down using the straw with it spray the socket and you might be able to cool it down enough and make it contract enough to remove it..

another idea

get a concrete wall or floor anchor bolt

insert into 3/8" drive and tighten up the bolt head to make it flare up in the socket.. use that and some vise grips to bit hold of the head to remove the socket..

take another 3/8" drive socket with you to home depot or lowes to see what fits.

Well, the SOB finally came out.

I had one of those locking extensions. At the very least I will exchange it as defective because in spite of the claim that it should remain in place until you press the switch to release it, the POS kept popping out...but never would it go in without the switch engaged.

Still, I sprayed a bunch of silicone lube into the hole via a drinking straw and worked very frustratingly just turning it a bit at a time with one hand while gently pulling up on the extension with the other. My first clue that I was getting somewhere was when I realized it was harder and harder to work the socket wrench into position. Finally, it stopped squeaking and when I pulled up the socket was still on the extension.

Whee. :icon_biggrin:

• 1 month later...
It only takes a second to make a hour worth of work. I hate that.

can't believe I have been wrenching since 12yrs old and never heard that saying.

That is awesome and so so true...

No shit, I would make hour plural.