CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need a new rear tire - what are your suggestions?

Blaine

Noticed my bird was handlng really sloppy on the way home. Got home and checked the pressure on the rear tire and it was down to 12.5 psi. DAMN, no wonder in was waddling and swaying my heavy 230 lb butt all around the bumps and corners. :sad:

Pumped it back up to 41 psi and spun it to check the surface and found what was left of a roofing nail. I had already worn off the nail head.

I'm going to see if it holds air or if it going down fast. If it loosing air fast, I'm going to go out and see how much smoke and how many stripes I can lay down. I can tear up a rear tire without a worry about how much it's going to cost me to replace it, 'cause I've already got to replace it anyway.

I've done a search and read a bunch of threads and I can't find an thread(s) where you guys give your recommendations on what rear tires you like, why and what mileage your get on you tires.

Figured I'd ask before I fork out the $$$$ :shock:

Thanks

Fucking roofers......... :roll:

I've done a search and read a bunch of threads and I can't find an thread(s) where you guys give your recommendations on what rear tires you like, why and what mileage your get on you tires.  

There are only about a hundred of them around here. Most of the guys like Avon's, but to each his own.

Check The Garage for tire threads.

yea, did a seach on "tires" and came up with about 17 pages. but only a few actually had anything to do with actual info on tires or recommendations.

But, I'll search again and weed through a few more. Thanks for the heads up on the Avons and the Mich' Pilot . I'm going to do a search on sellers and prices.

Thanks, I know I can always depend on you guys to give me the right info and help!

I run Bridgestone Battlax tires and I am perfectly happy with them. As for the $$$ I only have one thing to say:

www.discountmotorcycletire.com

They have the best prices I've seen outside of closeouts.

I run Bridgestone Battlax tires and I am perfectly happy with them

Bridgestone makes about ten different tires using the battlax name, you might want to be a bit more specific in your recommendation :poke: :grin:

I'd say Avons for milage/stick combonation, or Metzler M1s for great grip on a budget (props to Mac, our resident metzler bigot, on that one).

Found a review on the BRIDGESTONE BATTLAX BT-010 they rated at 99% satisfaction

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/products/buy...ocumentID=54740

DMTA has the rear 180/55 ZR17 for $102 and the front 120/70 ZR17 for $79

http://www.dtmaonline.com/AMAZING/items.as...BRIDGEBT010&Tp=

I'll look for stuff on the Avon's as well.

The 010's are a little more grippy than the 020's, but wear significantly quicker.

Both, unfortunately, will cup the hell out of the front tire before it's worn out.

None of my Avon's have cupped the front tire (my 39 started to, but I corrected an air pressure issue, and it straightened out) at all.

The Dunlop's will cup bad, as well.

If you don't ride overly aggressive, then stick with a "Sport Touring" type of tire (Metz MEZ6, Avon 45/46, etc). They'll give you great mileage, and adequate grip for most situations, especially when they're warmed up.

I'm moving this thread to The Garage, also.

I'm moving this thread to The Garage, also.

Control freak :poke: :grin:

But, if I wasn't such a loser, I'd do the same thing. Too bad they don't allow gay Moderators around here......... :sad:

Glad to see you coming out of the closet, Tim. :wink:

You do realize this whole thread wouldn't have been possible, unless some careless roofer couldn't control his tool belt, and lost some nails.

Do all roofers own shares in tire companies? :poke:

Do all roofers own shares in tire companies?

Haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about, really. Besides, he said the head was worn off already, so do we really know it was a roofing nail? Mmmm? DO WE?

Thought not.

I'd be careful throwing accusations like that around, we....er.. um, meant to say I know where you live. Hate to see something unfortunate occur, and all that......

:grin: :razz: :grin:

You fucker, just read "my own" post. How'd you do that without the edit showing up? I'll leave it for comic value.

No gay moderators? I guess there's one exception for every rule, aye? :wink: :grin:

Sorry....you're right of course. I should have been a bit more specific. I have run both the 010 and 020 tires. I currently run the 020 because of increased mileage and I had a bad experience with the thinner sidewalls of the 010 on the street. They are great on a track or other controlled environment, but I prefer the durability of the 020 for the mean streets of souoth Louisiana. ( I once lost a horse in a pothole........)

How are the 020's wearing, what kind of milage do you think you'll get out of them?

How about the 45/46's?

None of my Avon's have cupped the front tire (my 39 started to, but I corrected an air pressure issue, and it straightened out) at all.  

Did high air pressure or low pressure cause the cupping?

Does anyone run the Bridgestone 012?

Yes I have and yes they suck. I hated them and they directly led to my motorcycle's demise.

I had primarily used BT010's on my XX and my R1, but last season I decided to be "more" aggressive and try the 012SS"s. Well from day one all I got was front end slides... Like as much as a foot slides, when I started to push. Unfortunately for me, I didn't listen to my common sense to take them off and kept using them and kept riding fast... Then the front gave up the goose and I tossed the bike.

I will NEVER even consider BT012SS's again, they are a step backwards from the BT010's IMO.

Ordered a rear 020 and it should be here on Wednesday. :grin:

Called the "stealer" and I can ride the bike in and they'll install/balance the tire for $37. (1 hour labor) :shock:

I know a lot of you "do it yourselfers" out there have installed their own tires, but I think for the $$$ I don't want to chance tearing up the rim or not doing a good balancing job. :cool:

After I wear this set out I'll try the Avon 45/46.

• 1 month later...

You've already ordered the tire, so my advice about getting a new nail, with the head to stop the leak, is a little bit late...... :twisted:

Seriously though, my experience with the BT's seems to be different than from the others.

I run the 010/020 combo and then replaced the rear with the 010. From my experience and my style of riding, the 010 lasted about the same amount of miles, with better traction. I had the 020 on the ST1100 and then the XX. I don't think I'd bother with them again.

The 010 lasted about 8 - 9 K miles, which is decent IMO.

Unless you want to do track days or ride very aggressively, you should be pleased with the 020, but the 010 is a better tire.

I ride with a passenger and Givi bags almost all the time, plus my roads of choice are beautifully roads and streets of Illinois ( :roll: :twisted: ) with occasional trips - I rode to NEXXT with them...

Now I run the Pilot Road, for about 4K miles now and so far so good :cool:

The best front tire that I have found that wears evenly and resists cupping is the Michelin Pilot Road. They may not be sticky enough for the track but they are plenty sticky enough for the road. Ive used them 3 times and I get about 6 - 7 thousand miles. I' ve also run them with an 010 and 020 and they worked well.

You've already ordered the tire, so my advice about getting a new nail, with the head to stop the leak, is a little bit late...... :twisted:

Yea, thanks, maybe I'll just put a little super glue and that way the nail will stay in better, huh :cool:

The 010 lasted about 8 - 9 K miles, which is decent IMO.

Damn, that's a tons of miles on one tire. I'll keep the stop front and the 020 rear until they wear out and then we'll see how they handled the miles and my driving. Haven't done a track day, but would like to sometime soon. Just have to see how aggressive I feel I can be with this tire and then stay within it's and prob' my limits.

I ride with a passenger and Givi bags almost all the time,

I've also got the same Givi setup without the top case. And my kids want to ride with me when ever possible, my wife has her own bike and wouldn't here of being a passanger. So maybe I'll get milage close to what you got on this set.

Thanks for the input all of you have given me.