CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need help plugging a tire.

rcskisfast

My rear tire on my HD had a slow leak found a nail in the tire. The tire has 3000 miles on it, brought a rope style patch kit for a radial tire but when I read the directions it said for tenporary use only. Called a dealer and was told that they do fix tires because of liability. Has anyone had any luck pluggin a tire. What works best? Thanks, Ron

On a HD .....plug it!

worst case is it goes flat again!

Now on the Bird and maybe running triple digit speeds, no way but around town cruising I would plug a tire in a second

Most smart people that travel always carry a plug kit for emergencies

just my Opinion

Take it to a tire shop and have them put a plug in from the inside, it can't come out that way. Still wouldn't trust it though.

yep yep alot of places will call them mushroom patches..

no high speed tire shredding as the plug is now the weakest point of the tire but can offer you many miles of service..

Take it to a tire shop and have them put a plug in from the inside, it can't come out that way. Still wouldn't trust it though.

no high speed tire shredding as the plug is now the weakest point of the tire but can offer you many miles of service..

Yeah, those are the things Hobi sells. I can testify they are the shits.

post-1606-1332988883.jpg

Yeah, those are the things Hobi sells. I can testify they are the shits.

http://www.cyclefarkle.com/index_files/tireplugger.html

We put one of these in up in Red Lodge outside of Beartooth Pass. Philip rode 3000 miles on it without a problem.

Plug and a can of tire sealant.

It will either hold or it won't. If you keep losing air, you can see about patching it at a shop.

Several times, my plugs have held up fine until the tire was replaced.

I do now have the mushroom-style plugs which should be better than the standard store-bought string-tar plugs.

The problem with plugs is that the process of plugging the tire actually breaks belts in the tire because of the way you have to put it in. A patch plug (mushroom, inside plug, whatever you want to call it) uses a motorized rasp to cut through the belts instead of breaking them, so your gap in your belts is localized. Still, no more than two patches can be placed in a tire before it must be replaced (that's industry standard.)

All that being said, I've plugged a tire and rode it until replacement, and I ride tires for 10k miles.

Wally World carries Slime tire sealant....same stuff I bet.

Slime dot com

NOPE! Not even close.... well O.K. it's kinda the same, but the Slime brand is JUNK! IMO!

For one thing Slime eventually gets hard and crusty inside your tires, which means it can no longer seal anything, Ride-on tire sealant on the other hand is still semi liquid 2 years later.

Secondly that Slime shit stains chrome..... Ride-on however does not.

I've used both over the years on everything from Bicycles, Motorcycles, ATV's, wheelbarrows, etc., and I'm hear to tell you that Ride-on shit is Awesome! and I won't put that green Slime brand in anything I own.... ever again.

That is all.

I, personally, wouldn't trust a plug with my life. IMHO, a bike has only two tires on it. I would plug it and get a new tire as soon as I could. I have done it before.

Just plug it. HD aren't known for performance. Get a new tire asap, because I like to stay alive and not in a hospital. Sorry to hear your tire has damage.

I, personally, wouldn't trust a plug with my life. IMHO, a bike has only two tires on it. I would plug it and get a new tire as soon as I could. I have done it before.

Just plug it. HD aren't known for performance. Get a new tire asap, because I like to stay alive and not in a hospital. Sorry to hear your tire has damage.

+1 to that.