CBR1100XX.org Forum

What to look for in a high mileage bird

GimPin

R/R = Regulator/Rectifier - These are the weak point of the early (and late) model charging systems. It should be steadily putting out +14.5 +/- .3 VDC measured at the battery terminals when running at 4k RPM and above. The stator harness plug connecting to the R/R is also a common trouble spot and should be inspected for melting, burnt appearance, and solid connections.

Rear shock should be firm and rebound without noticeable bounce. Excessive wear would be most indicated by soft compression resistance and any obvious visible mechanical flaws ie: fluid leakage, significant corrosion, broken parts, etc.

58K is not an issue if the bike was cared for well and serviced regularly. If not or no record available, you should probably consider valve lash check, all fluids flushed and replaced, air filter replace or service, and then ride the wheels off it.... :icon_biggrin:

The tool strap breaks without warning as well... Honda's reliability has truly gone downhill.

My '97 is on 110k miles and the only things that have gone wrong with it relate to my lack of talent and the earth's unfortunate gravity habit.

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking at a 97 bird on CL with 58k on it ... I owned a 97 several years ago with about 1/2 as many miles. What should I be aware of ... I know the cam chain tensioner was an issue ... anything else?

Hi,

Is this the 97 currently for sale @ National Power Sports in NH? I just put a deposit on the Ol' Bird pending inspection - Anything I should know?

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDet...spx?itemID=7310

Thanks!

-kjo

I am looking at a 97 bird on CL with 58k on it ... I owned a 97 several years ago with about 1/2 as many miles. What should I be aware of ... I know the cam chain tensioner was an issue ... anything else?

Hi,

Is this the 97 currently for sale @ National Power Sports in NH? I just put a deposit on the Ol' Bird pending inspection - Anything I should know?

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDet...spx?itemID=7310

Thanks!

-kjo

I see these are 2 different birds - coincidence on the mileage ;-)

Any advice for a "soon to be" Blackbird owner? I'll be using it about 2-4k this summer and fall, so it's a perfect "low-cost for a big sport bike" solution - I am a 20 year veteran of sport bikes, and a Dad - so no more kid stuff or stupidity - just some good rides to clear the head and enjoy the view...

Thanks,

-kjo

I would think that the most telling thing would be taking it for a test ride. Can you do that? Other than that, you just have to look over the bike to see of any signs of it being dropped. Look for any leaks or strange wear patterns on the tires and listen to the motor run.

I am starting out this season at 61,000 miles on my '99. I am planning to go to several meets this year, no 10K road trips unless something changes.

Here is what I would look for, am currently looking at on my bike:

Money you will probably have to spend right away:

Chain + sprockets: what, $250?

F/R tires: What, $300

Air filter: $35

Oil & Filter change, $15-65, depending on oil

SPARE R/R + wiring kit from BartonMD: around $100 (it makes a R1 rectifier plug & play)

Stator replacement: Shit I forget how much, not much. Hobi gets a good deal. Maybe $100

Yeah, and of course the suspension may be a little tired. Depending on where you are, find a racetech guy in your area and see what he will do, $500-700 for a rebuild of front forks, I am not sure what they can do to the rear shock, I bought a used BB rear shock that had been rebuilt by racetech.

F/R pads, new brake fluid: $diddly squat

Splurge and get an AGM battery from that place in PA. USA made.

You do that to the bike and I guarantee it will take you as far as you want to go, no problems. You don't do it, you will sooner than later probably, unless the seller can give you details on when any of the above has been done.

Good luck, they are wonderful motorcycles

OH, before anyone pipes in, I could be WAAAAYYY off on some of the prices. Not pulling them out of my ass, but Wifey got me this coupon, see..... I have never bought a "growler" and shit, that's a LOT of beer that has to be drunk in one sitting! So I am not in "research Mode" right now