CBR1100XX.org Forum

can't get the axle nut loose

TFT

Wow.

Take the bike and the correct socket to somewhere that has an air wrench and give them $5 to zap it off.

Any suggestions?

Turn it left. Use a socket and breaker bar.

My thoughts exactly. Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey

You know, Craftsman doesn't sell breaker bars. I do not know if anyone does.

Philip, another thing that you can try is if you have a propane torch, heat the axle nut with it, getting it to expand slightly. The trick is to be ready with the proper tools (socket/ratchet wrench) and ready to try and break it loose as soon as you heat the nut and set the torch down. If you try this, make sure that you try and keep the flame pointed directly at the axle nut (all the way around it if possible) and keep as much heat off of the axle bolt. Hope this helps.

This is the bike here in my new home in Arizona. I basically have no tools here.

Go and buy some :icon_rolleyes:

And don't use a wrench on high torque bolts.

They're not made for that kind of work :icon_whistle:

Tom, do yourself a favor.

Get in that fancy Audi of yours and mosey up to the nearest Harbor Fright store at 1860 E. Warner Rd #103 in Tempe. Spend between $50 and $100 on some basic shop tools. Shop what's on sale and use a 20% off coupon. You need a 1/2 inch drive socket set that has 22 and 27 mm sockets and a breaker bar, or purchase the 67933 25" breaker bar separately. Alternatively, some HF's sell sockets separately or you could get an SAE set with 13/16ths and 1 1/8th 6 point sockets. Impact sockets will work fine for you even though you're not using an impact tool. Get some eye protection if you don't have any and remember that if the nut is on the left side of the bike, the counterclockwise rotation necessary to loosen it, when using that long of a breaker bar, be enough to lift the bike forward and off the centerstand, so block the bike or take suitable care.

There's a Lowe's about 2 miles from there, stop by that store and pick up a Lenox 157792 screwdriver in the electrical supply section for your fasteners around the house.

Tom, do yourself a favor.

Get in that fancy Audi of yours and mosey up to the nearest Harbor Fright store at 1860 E. Warner Rd #103 in Tempe. Spend between $50 and $100 on some basic shop tools. Shop what's on sale and use a 20% off coupon. You need a 1/2 inch drive socket set that has 22 and 27 mm sockets and a breaker bar, or purchase the 67933 25" breaker bar separately. Alternatively, some HF's sell sockets separately or you could get an SAE set with 13/16ths and 1 1/8th 6 point sockets. Impact sockets will work fine for you even though you're not using an impact tool. Get some eye protection if you don't have any and remember that if the nut is on the left side of the bike, the counterclockwise rotation necessary to loosen it, when using that long of a breaker bar, be enough to lift the bike forward and off the centerstand, so block the bike or take suitable care.

There's a Lowe's about 2 miles from there, stop by that store and pick up a Lenox 157792 screwdriver in the electrical supply section for your fasteners around the house.

Tom,I think you're being followed....

Thanks for all the help Joe. I do have some basic tools, but nothing of that magnitude, and being the cheap bastard that I am, it kills me to duplicate tools that I have in Alaska. But the reality is, I need to get more tools.

I am on my way to harbor freight.

With the assist of a 2 ft breaker bar and 27 mm socket from Harbor Freight I was able to get the nut loose. And with the assist of a 1/2" drive torque wrench ( on sale 50% off) I have it properly torqued.

Thanks again Joe!!!

What a great store!!!!