CBR1100XX.org Forum

Repack? Difficult?

TeXTrain99

I have a D&D exhaust that has become too loud even for me. Needs a repack. D&D has quoted me a $58 repack kit that includes packing, rivets and SS bands.

How difficult is it to repack a can? I do not a have a riveting tool or any experience with one. I'm not afraid to try something but want to make sure that I can at least expect a decent outcome befiore investing in a kit and the tools to use it.

Whats the word on repacking?

really easy.

drill out rivots on end of can

should be able to pull out mesh core with the packing material

clean off and throw away old materal.

Roll up new material always told snug but not tight as shit... sorta like rolling a joint :icon_whistle:

slide back in and line up holes and rivet back..

$58 isn't too bad for what your getting, last time I did it was a few yrs ago (also a D&D pipe) and I bought the packing at the bike shop for $10 for a single can, and used normal aluminum rivets.

check harbor freight for a rivet gun.. don't need a $50 rivet tool..

I was suppose to repack my Leo Vinces 23k or so miles ago. The sound of them just gets better with age.. Can't bring myself to do it.. :icon_biggrin:

Whats the word on repacking?

$.99 pair of earplugs, or a huge box of them for $10.00 :icon_twisted:

Repacking is easy. You do need the rivet tool...borrow from a friend. Find a local place that services ovens, stoves, or kilns. They'll give you enough k-wool or similar material to do the job for cheap or maybe even free.

I just did a D&D and on mine, the inner core was welded to the end caps and the outer sleeve had to be slid off the entire assemble.

When you get that done. the rivit holes aren't equidistant but rather random, although close to 60 degrees rotation, meaning the sleeve had to go back in the same location...When I got it apart, the packing was fully intact. BTW, the sleeve is a very tight fit and hard to move.. Good luck...

Although not appropriate for this thread or section but I must add this:

I like MY pipe packed VERY tight...almost to the point it's about to either burst open or come out of my mouth.

LMAO :icon_evilgrin:

easy-squeezy... just like everyone says.

One thing to keep in mind - the tighter you pack it...

So we went from easy peasy to god luck that shit don't work in 7 posts. Neverminding Dave's thinnly veiled pleas for validation of his ..uh...craving.

My concerns now lay with ...will repacking lower the decibels? Will repacking be as easy as some say or will I end up getting so angry that the carbon sleeve is damaged and the bent/stuck/wasted internals get tossed out of the garage and into the trash can?

Mostly I'm worried that I'll spend the time and money to repack only to be disappointed by the the noise level. When I bought the bike 20,000 miles ago the muffler didn't seem too loud. Over time I have noticed the increase. I assumed this was due to the packing burning out or otherwise degrading. Could it be anything else? The tone has always been good and hasn't changed, just the volume.

Drill the rivets out on both ends and try to move the sleeve...

If you can move it, you got an easy one and keep going.

If you can't, put 12 alum 1/8" rivets back in and get some ear plugs.

Drill the rivets out on both ends and try to move the sleeve...

If you can move it, you got an easy one and keep going.

If you can't, put 12 alum 1/8" rivets back in and get some ear plugs.

That is the kind of plan that I use sometimes. It makes life smooth.

It is one of the nastier jobs you'll ever do. I got a repack kit for my 2 bros, did one and left the other one alone. I wish I had just let it be. I had just gotten a set of used ones, so I do not know if it is any quieter. Sorry, can't help there.

Why the mfr's recommend repack is beyond me.

Oh, and on the rivet gun.... if you do not borrow one, buy the nicest one you can get, like a pro model. You will find that EVERYTHING can use a good riveting. (You know, if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail, right?) I inherited my Dad's and it is tons nicer than the POS I got on the cheap.

If you want to borrow, and are willing to do the shipping dealy-o, let me know.

My fiberglass mat inside my D&D was black and crusty brittle nasty when I removed it. Rolled up the new mat, inserted and riveted back together. Took less than 30 minutes. This was an aluminum can with black cap.

Yeah but was the the muffler quiter after that?

My fiberglass mat inside my D&D was black and crusty brittle nasty when I removed it. Rolled up the new mat, inserted and riveted back together. Took less than 30 minutes. This was an aluminum can with black cap.

Yeah but was the the muffler quiter after that?

hell no..

full D&D exhaust system. does a banshee being butt raped by a gorilla ring a bell on its loudness?

Was obnoxious loud on my 750 that had some tweeks to it. Remember riding with a couple guys and the guy leading just got a full scorpion system on his R6. He asked his buddy behind him how it sounded, his reply was he couldn't hear his bike let alone his own bike from my exhaust. I was in the back. :icon_redface:

My buddy who lives over 2 miles away knew when I was headed to his house and would start his bike and put on his helmet and be waiting for me from me pulling out of my driveway.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

I remember my first year at TeXXt, Hardy made a comment about how he didn't like being behind me. I thought its was my ugly lines and comical way of riding that maybe un-nervered him. Nope, it was the D&D.

I guess it ain't so bad when I'm cruising and the rpms are in the sub 5k range but twist it up a little bit people start looking.

I guess I really should look at another muffler if I want to cut the volumn.

I would really like to save some bucks and get something that will bolt right on to the existing mid-pipe. What do I need to know about buying a used muffler?

Thanks everybody for the input.

Even you, Dave.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

I remember my first year at TeXXt, Hardy made a comment about how he didn't like being behind me. I thought its was my ugly lines and comical way of riding that maybe un-nervered him. Nope, it was the D&D.

I guess it ain't so bad when I'm cruising and the rpms are in the sub 5k range but twist it up a little bit people start looking.

I guess I really should look at another muffler if I want to cut the volumn.

I would really like to save some bucks and get something that will bolt right on to the existing mid-pipe. What do I need to know about buying a used muffler?

Thanks everybody for the input.

Even you, Dave.

OD of the connecting pipe and ID of the potential muffler(s)

I have a 97 with a pair of D&D slipons and I don't feel they're overly loud.

Got a call from a friend who saw me riding home last night. I was in the HOV lane and making decent time (85-95mph). He was stuck in bumper to bumper stop-and-go traffic. He said he heard me coming, watched me zip past and then heard me going. For a long time. Said the bird sounded good. He's right. Does sound good.

Once I got off the HOV and into stop and go for the last stretch to home, I overheated. Pegged the needle above H. Smelled the coolant and saw the vapor. Pulled into a gas station to fill up and let the bike cool off for a while. WTF? In december I should not be overheating. Ok, yes, it was 68F but still, it s the principal of the thing--overheating during Christmas season? crap. I'm used to the bird running hot during the summer commute but this was something else. Puts the exhaust situation on the back burner.

First. Was the fan running during this overheat? If so, check coolant level. If not, check the fuse. If that's all okay, do a resistance check on the temp switch for the fan.