CBR1100XX.org Forum

hand fairings

lensmanxx

I needed something as a temporary wind break, but it turns out they work fairly well. I saw a couple of members lament not having anything for wind protection.

I used a couple of tupperware plastic tubs for materials, and obviously covered them with tape. The fairing for the throttle side is reinforced with a strip of heavy plastic to keep the wind at speeds over 65mph from pushing the fairing into the brake lever and activating the brake light. I used cardboard as a pattern to get the shape and fit. The cut out is to clear the mirror with the handlebars at lock. Note the twisted up 'O' ring wrapped around the lever near the pivot point of the lever. This keeps the wind from collapsing the fairing in toward your hand. I added the mods (o-ring & grey plastic reinforcement) after the first run with it on the bike.

This did the trick. Use coarse steel wool to rough up the surface of the plastic before applying the tape. You can probably use spray paint, but I didn't test it out- I'm not sure it will hold. It's not a problem on the clutch side- just tape or o-ring on the pivot point side of the lever.

post-10076-1323051530.jpg

post-10076-1323051668.jpg

I'm working on a version of hippo-hands that is more flexible and will work with the tight space on my bike due to my helibars and zero gravity touring windscreen. It will fold up when off the frame, making it easy to pack and keep handy in case of a turn in weather. Whether or not it will be worth selling remains to be seen.

post-10076-1323051610.jpg

Would this work? Maybe even the guards from an '03 strom as they only mount to the master cylinder.

http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30

I had a guy on a '97 BB like mine pass me, and he had some sort of manufactured hand fairing on, but I couldn't see any details other than it is black in color.

That might be what he had on the bike. I think they will get in the way if you turn the bars all the way to the lock with my set up, but thanks for the heads up.

It never ceases to surprise me with all the accessories made for one make and model that can be used on other ones.

As for getting a Goldwing Dave, I have enough to handle with the 'Birds weight. The last thing I want is a heavier bike. I wouldn't mind swapping the 'Bird one day for the 2011 naked Speed Triple. I'll trade 10hp for some 90lbs less weight than the Blackbird. Ask Hobi how much mine weighs with saddle bags and a tank bag. He moved it to get the bike in line for pictures the last time I was at Towanda, and he nearly busted a gut moving it.