CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust pipe question...

Zero Knievel

Okay, just over 6,300 miles and they were cleaned down to the metal with wadding polish before I left.

This stuff keeps coming back, and I don't know if this buildup is normal and others keep cleaning it away or if something is causing this.

post-3006-1309038264.gif

post-3006-1309038472.gif

I usually just get a black, sooty build up. That looks like rust. Were you riding through any areas with red soil? Is it on any other part of the bike?

Since it keeps coming back, perhaps it has something to do with the polish you are using. I have 54K on my Bird----very seldom polish the end caps and they never have looked like that. Thin dark gray film at times but never with a reddish tint. I usually use Flitz---but have tried some others.

Good luck on sorting it out--------happy trails, kel

Normal... actually better than Normal... :icon_twisted:

You're running a Leaner Map aren't you...!?!?

Most stock maps will get a thick black soot.... but when you lean out the Bird Motor a bit, the residue turns a Redish Tan.

I think it's beautiful.

Normal... actually better than Normal... :icon_twisted:

You're running a Leaner Map aren't you...!?!?

Most stock maps will get a thick black soot.... but when you lean out the Bird Motor a bit, the residue turns a Redish Tan.

I think it's beautiful.

Thanks.

I am running a lean map to conserve fuel. The bike was ridden in rain during the trip, but this brownish stain keeps coming back, and it cleans off fairly easily with a petroleum distillate (such as wadding polish). It also gets on my luggage. I don't see it on other guy's bikes, but I suppose if you don't ride very far between cleanings, you keep it in check.

I was afraid I was burning oil, but my oil level is fine. After all, it is tacky as if it was burnt oil.

54.... that's impressive....

what gear set you running ?

Stock.

I've noticed the highest MPG in the following circumstances....

1. Running 6th gear

2. Speeds of about 55ish or RPMs staying not much over 3K.

3. Fairly level surfaces or downhill.

In both cases, I'm pretty sure circumstances limited how fast I could go, but there was no need to run a lower gear for the type of riding I was doing. I was impressed since both times I had all 3 Givi cases mounted on the bike. It's also possible ethanol-free gas was in the tank at the time.

You get better mileage at higher elevations also. When I was in Montrose, CO for the West Coast Bash '09, I got 193 miles out of a tank. We were haulin ass for 150 of those miles and I have no PC to lean mine out. Couldn't believe the difference. :icon_eek:

The XX has a 6 gallon tank. Until now, I've never put in more than 5 on a fill up (with the light on).

Coming home, I was pushing 80 most of the time and it was windy. A fill up actually took 5.6xx gallons.

Under worst conditions, I know I can go 200 on a tank. Under favorable conditions, I could do over 250.

Ironically, I did the remap because the buildup on the pipes was bothering me. I suppose there's no avoiding the buildup at all.

The XX has a 6.34 gallon tank, and probably will never get more than 6 gallons out of it as there is always some left in the bottom that can't be picked up.

Most I have ever filled up was 5.89 gallons knowing I would run out at any second and around the 240 mile mark on the tank. I was coasting down the hills with the clutch pulled in searching for any gas station.

I would get that brownish buildup on my stockpipes. Also get very little on my Leo Vinces. I solved it by cleaning my bike more often. :icon_biggrin:

I think it's beautiful.

I agree.

First thing I thought was it looks like the tan color on spark plugs when an engine is tuned right.

----------------------------------------------------------

We're going on the vintage Honda ride up in MI in a couple weeks. The wife asked me how much we were going to spend in gas a few minutes ago.

I'll have to recalc. I did tell her that I thought the bird was getting better mpg than the Hurricane though.

2200 miles total for 2 biikes ~ figure 40 mpg (low) ~ should come to about 55 gallons conservatively?