CBR1100XX.org Forum

So how about a 190 on the Bird?

willxx23

So I bought a rear rim that had a 190 mounted already, the thing is the tire is dang near new heck it still has the little nubs showing on it.

I don't have another use for this tire if I take it off and the type of riding I am doing lately is just about all commuting so I am wrecking the center of all the tires I have had on the rear.

I'm not riding anything remotely fun so would it be any risk in trying to get close to 10k of commuting miles out of this 190 without any issue?

I suggest a muti compound (hard down the center) set in a street/touring tires.

I was told go with the 180 unless you get a wider rim (and that may not clear.)

If you hit a lot of rain I would try the new Michelin. Looks cool anyway.

Run it, Will. Free rubber is free rubber, or however you want to look at it.

I've used 190's and find that it feels a little different until you get into twisty stuff, then it feels a lot different and I didn't like it....hard turn in and a feeling as though the rear of the bike was NOT interested in the pace I was trying to keep.

I paid a stupid cheap price for them, and yes, would do it again. They're fine on the XX for touring or commuting.

Thanks for the advice :icon_biggrin:

I rode it in to work this morning, roughly 60 miles with a small 3 mile twisty section at the end of the trip.

Felt as all have described, the turn in was noticeably different, definitely needed more effort to lean it over, the straight stuff on the freeway felt fine, maybe better than fine as the tire it replaced had been down to the wear bars and beyond a bit, could be just the new rubber talking to me though...

Seeing as how it will most likely see a large amount of freeway miles I feel better about sacrificing it to the aphalt gods... :icon_smile:

It's a Shinko, pretty sure I'll be going back to the 180 on the Bird after this ones cooked.

Well I did mount a 6 inch rim and a 190 on the bird arm and was fine with it. Close, but cleared. The deal is the 5.5 rim the bird has makes the 190 pinch.

You should look into mounting the other rim on the bird arm..

• 2 weeks later...

If its a 003 Shinko it will handle even slower.The 003 190 is close to a 200/210 in width.

I've had a 003 190 and now a Shinko "hook up",clearance is no problem.Fortunately cornering is of no concern to me.