CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake lines

wadem

I just checked Galfer's web site and found no mention of a brake line kit for the bird. I checked on this site and under the review section it was mentioned (and part number given) that they had only a front and clutch kit. Where would I be able to get the whole kit front back and clutch? I live in Canada so any store that would have the kit would have to be willing to ship up here. Thanks

I suggest you go to CycleBrake's web site and got their phone number. Talk to Melissa and tell her you are a member of this board for a 10% discount. CycleBrakes knows how to build lines for the 'Bird. :grin:

I suggest you go to CycleBrake's web site and got their phone number. Talk to Melissa and tell her you are a member of this board for a 10% discount. CycleBrakes knows how to build lines for the 'Bird. :grin:

I got mine via Melissa as well. She was great, they even got shipped with an invoice marked "warrenty repair" so I didn't get nailed with customs/GST. The lines are a noticable improvement over stock.

Check out Spiegler's complete brake line kit. I don't think they advertise it, but they made one for me for $469 US. View mine at...

http://www.oregonspottedfrog.com/XX01.htm

I also bought there clutch line for $95 US.

If you go with Speigler, they make them up special with whatever colour fittings you like, so there's no refunds or exchanges. They have only made 4 of these sets in North America (so they said back in August). Speigler in Europe have made dozens, but still not a regular item.

Want my set with the blue fittings? Only $350 US. I need a gold set as I bought a pair of gold OZ wheels. The instructions say it'll take 6 hours to re and re the set, but my dealer did it in 5 hours. It's not a job I could do. Big weight savings (3 lbs is the difference between what came off and what went on) and much more progressive braking.

IMHO, replacing one of the front lines and one of the rear lines would only be a half-assed job as there are 9 brake lines in total (granted a few are only 4 or 6 inches) and there's another master cylinder besides the one on your bar handle. I guess something is better than nothing, but maybe more on the aesthetics side than anything if you're just replacing two of the lines.

The Galfer kit was created on my bike when I rode it out to Galfer a couple years ago, so I'm pretty sure it exists... :grin: I had originally measured and got custom lines sent out, then after some trial time went out there and we refined the kit based on that experience.

There's also a +2 kit for high bars like VFR bars and Helibars (not necessary on the clutch side).

There is absolutely no point in changing all the lines. You don't "feel" the LBS lines flexing, and the rear brake is just not important enough. The brake kit is two front lines, the clutch is one line.

I bought the +2 lines to go with my raised VFR bars. I probably could have gotten by with the standard length, but the extra 2" doesn't hurt anything.

I think I learned about CycleBrakes.com from Carlos. Thanks for the leg work Swampy.

There is absolutely no point in changing all the lines. You don't "feel" the LBS lines flexing, and the rear brake is just not important enough. The brake kit is two front lines, the clutch is one line.

oh...come on swampy, I know you know more about the bird's brakes than that (and STFU, I'm tying to sell my kit here).

If the rear brake wasn't important, it wouldn't be linked. The system is made for stopping a heavy bird at warp speed. Get on a bird with de-linked brakes and everything else stock, you'll be using the rear brake when you're coming down off 200+ km/hr. Let's face it, that's what the system was made to do (yah I know, it's really just Honda showing it's technology off). :grin:

Check out Spiegler's complete brake line kit. I don't think they advertise it, but they made one for me for $469 US. View mine at...

http://www.oregonspottedfrog.com/XX01.htm

I also bought there clutch line for $95 US.

If you go with Speigler, they make them up special with whatever colour fittings you like, so there's no refunds or exchanges. They have only made 4 of these sets in North America (so they said back in August). Speigler in Europe have made dozens, but still not a regular item.

Wow really, they only sold 4 sets of Spiegler lines in NA :shock: I bought my set of Spiegler lines about year and a half ago. Still haven't had the time to put em on the bike yet. They are really high quality stuff but I don't know if replacing all the lines as the Spiegler kit does is necessary. All the OEM brake lines that are hidden behind the frame and bodywork are solid steel anyway. Opinions???

I bought and installed the Spiegler set over a year ago. Everyone who gets on my bikr now says WOW the brakes are really tight. One finger pull. The kit replaces all the rubber lines but not the steel tubing.

I forget what the service manual says but Honda does recommend line replacement. Someone will look up the change out interval, I'm sure.

I believe it is a worth while mod for safety in the long run. Not much BLING but I like sure footed brakes.

Will be the wave rotors for me when the HH pads ruin the stock rotors.

I need, want and will always buy the best I can find when it comes to brakes especially of this kind of rocket ship.

Thanks John01XX and MacBirdXX. I was told that mine was the first Spiegler XX kit sold in NA. Don't think it'd be any different from subsequent kits. I gotta go thru my garage, find the thing and look it over again. But from what I remember it's got about 16 hose segments and the instructions described the removal of all OEM lines (including the solid steel segments)... that's a whole lotta work. Oh well, whatever, I need to get those lines on the bike anyway. Be better if its just a replacement of the rubber lines, tho for the money (I paid just over us$ 500) perhaps replacing all OEM brake lines is not such a bad thing :)

Weight reduction is the key for the steel lines. When you de-link the kit, you loose 6 lbs, when you replace the set, you loose 3 lbs.

That's a bit optimistic, IMO. I've got all the crap I pulled off the bike when I de-linked in a hefty bag, and while I haven't weighed it, it certainly isn't six pounds, and you'd still have to subtract the weight of the new lines and the de-link bracket from that.

I'd say the weight loss is pretty insignifigant when all is said and done. If this is something you're considering to save weight, don't bother, a healthy bowel movment would yeild better results :razz: :grin: .

why don't you prove them wrong and weigh your set

Done. Everything I removed from the bike come to just under four pounds. That includes all lines, valves, secondary master cylinder and assorted brackets. So unless the de-link kit weighs negative 2.5 pounds, someone's fudged the numbers somewhere. I'm not saying 321 is full of "shite", but I don't make a habit of getting weight figures from manufacturers, they tend to be (as I said) a little optimistic.

I'm just posting from my personal experience, not what from what I read on some website trying to sell me something. Losing three pounds off a four pound system by simply switching out the lines seems unlikely to me, but not having done it myself, I'll bow to your experience on that one.

are your dumps really 6 pounds man!

No, but I could probably pull off one or two pounds, which is all you're likely to see from de-linking :wink: :razz:

Edited for attitude :razz:

Wait- the fluid in all the lines removed would add up as well- maybe a few more ounces. Still not gonna get you near that 6.5 lbs figure, but I hadn't considered it before.

Shit, am I gonna have to figure the capacity of the removed lines and weight some brake fluid now? :grin:

I consider Seb to be an upfront businessman.

Totally agree, dealing with him when I bought the kit was a pleasure. I'm not trying to disparage him or 321ignition, just posting my experience with the product :)

I was gonna change the brakes but I decided to just take a hammer and put a couple of half gallon dents in the fuel tank to save weight. Total time for modification, 45 seconds. Weight savings about 7 pounds.

Yes I'm having a bad day....

dano